Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protein powder that's not disgusting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Protein powder that's not disgusting?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon_Cowboy View Post
    I'm all about taste/texture. If you are buying from reputable brands, proteins are almost identical. I'm not talking about recovery or post-workout blends. The difference between the amount (mass) of protein is mostly a factor of serving size. For example the Hammer Vegan mentioned above only has 20g of protein while the Interphase has 32g...well the the Interphase serving size is 50g while the Hammer Vegan is only 31.6 if you standardise the serving size at 50g they have the same fat, 1g difference in carbs and 2.4 g of protein. Another thing I noticed about the Interphase is their claim that it has: 55% Ion-exchange crossflow membrane un-denatured, instantized whey protein isolate for FAST-RELEASE. None of those words are in regards to bioavailability...they're terms about the physical extraction and treatment of the whey. Instantized is just a word old food scientists used to describe putting some lecithin on a protein to make it dissolve better in water (lecithin is on the ingredients list). It doesn't have anything to do with how fast the protein is absorbed.

Personally I'd stick to pure whey and dress it up accordingly (i.e. post workout or meal replacement). Don't get caught up in labeling claims they don't mean anything....high fructose corn syrup can be labeled 'all natural'. Always get the isolate, the hydrosolates are bitter crap.
    I agree labeling can be misleading. Having said that, I understand that "un-denatured" means its not been pasteurized, which I believe means it retains the original enzymes which may aid in digestion....I think. Our system makes the needed enzymes but it seems that it is still a benefit to have them in the whey. Can you elaborate?

In general, I favor the boiled eggs as its excellent nutrition in addition to quality protein.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like your looking for a powder that you can mix with liquid from your cooler post race? Trader Joes stuff is tasty but I'm sure it has bad things in it. In our house lately, we are using Pea Protein (comes in a clear orange plastic container). I have no idea what it tastes like because I throw it in the VitaMix with a banana, a variety of frozen fruits and vegetables and whatever is growing in the backyard, plus brewer' yeast and some herbs. Don't overdo the yeast because it will taste like ass or cheese or something not good in your smoothie. Stay away from the supplement stores (Unless it is FeedTheMachine).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your stomach pH is below 4 (usually) that is enough to denature almost all peptides. Enzymes are always peptides so after a few seconds in your stomach they are just amino acids bound together....no biological or nutritional function because they have lost their secondary and tertiary structure.

99.9999% the milk the whey was made from was pasteurized. Having said that, you can pasteurize stuff without significantly denaturing the proteins. Denaturing happens several different ways, for example the reason the texture of eggs is different after cooking is because the proteins have been thermally denatured. Not nutritional changes, just physical. Same with whipped cream, which gets its texture from physically denatured milk proteins.

*Don't eat raw dairy stuff....unless your wife is a hippy and you love her or you enjoy shooting bloody poo out your butt (Campylobacter)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    BCAA's are a great way to go for recovery since your body is breaking down the whey into amino acids anyway. These are easier to absorb and don't contain any calories
    They may not contain any extra calories but they are calorific in and of themselves: the body breaks down* amino acids and the sidechains go straight into the TCA cycle. I can find an exact number for you if you really need but figure 4 kCal per g and you'll be close enough.

* if the amino acids ingested are not broken down the calorific value still counts as the body would have had to use soemthing else, the something else will now be broken down and thus count. Thermodynamics still applies.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using Hammer Whey or Whole Foods Whey (vanilla) for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon_Cowboy View Post
    Another thing I noticed about the Interphase is their claim that it has: 55% Ion-exchange crossflow membrane un-denatured, instantized whey protein isolate for FAST-RELEASE. None of those words are in regards to bioavailability...they're terms about the physical extraction and treatment of the whey.
    Dead right. Remember that milk is modified sweat, so one of the main problems with producing whey protein isolates is getting rid of the salt. Ion exchange and crossflow both help in this regard.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    Can you fine folks recommend a protein powder that isn't super gritty and doesn't taste like ass when blended with almond milk/soymilk?
    This is the one I've used as a post gym workout protein supplement for recovery: Biochem Sports 100% Whey Protein (Vanilla or Chocolate Fudge).

My wife, who is a vegetarian, picked it out as it is free of artificial sweeteners.

1-2 Scoops + yogurt, milk (or soy milk/almond milk), some peanut butter, a banana and some maple syrup. Depending on the season, I may also use blueberries or strawberries instead of a banana or sometimes all 3. Sometimes with the peanut butter, other times without.

After really long rides, I will make myself something like the above occasionally.

I don't recommend it as a meal replacement though. I need real food for meals...
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know enough to comment about the pros and cons of different protein mixes, but whatever you use, I've found that you just need something to cut through the gummy/chalky taste of most protein powders. Lemon juice for anything thats supposed to be tangy or neutral. Mint or Peppermint extract for anything chocolate or vanilla. Go crazy if you need to. A mint explosion is better than a mouthful of goopy chalk.

BTW, anyone know if the "Premier Protein" shakes or powder they sell at Sam's club is any good? Also, anyone have experience with Progenex? A friend of mine is a rep...he's been trying to tell me that it's way better than Premier or EAS. But of course, he's biased.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
    I don't know enough to comment about the pros and cons of different protein mixes, but whatever you use, I've found that you just need something to cut through the gummy/chalky taste of most protein powders.
    I've found the above one I mentioned to be less gummy/chalky tasting honestly. I've tried my fair share of them - best results for taste though always have come from mixing it with a few other things especially fruit or yogurt/milk. That really helps the cause. It's more of a shake then.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm not that picky, but I just started trying Orgain- it's plant based and vegan if that matters for you. I have no idea if it meets your particular needs, but I don't find it chaulky or bad, and I've just mixed 2 scoops in a pint glass of tap water while the coffee machine warms up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the Jarrow Formulas French Vanilla. It dissolves easily, tastes fine in a glass of milk or in a fruit smoothy. It is USA sourced from non rBST cows, low sugar and carb. They also make an unflavored that has even less sugar/carb but I like the little touch of flavor.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I use the Jarrow Formulas French Vanilla. It dissolves easily, tastes fine in a glass of milk or in a fruit smoothy. It is USA sourced from non rBST cows, low sugar and carb. They also make an unflavored that has even less sugar/carb but I like the little touch of flavor.
    Generally speaking, I trust Jarrow Labs. Not surprised to hear this recommend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12