Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Apple geek squad alert: Ipad Pro 12.9

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Apple geek squad alert: Ipad Pro 12.9

I'm enamored with the Ipad Pro 12.9" for reading online print (newspapers mostly).

What configuration will work best for me? I stream music from my phone and do not store gobs of data on devices.

Also, what's the play wrt connectivity? Is it wise to use my phone as a hotspot and order the Ipad WiFi (no cellular)?

Last, refurbished 2nd Gen Ipad Pro 12.9" are looking like a good move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Apple geek squad alert: Ipad Pro 12.9

I’ve been using mine for a little over a year and I love it. I did get the cellular option and the keyboard, as mine is primarily used for work and I wish that I could ditch my laptop, but not quite yet. Sounds like WiFi and using your phone as a hotspot might do the trick for you.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do exactly that, with exactly those devices. My job keeps my leash (phone) fresh - just got an 11. It does the job... takes photos, makes calls, sends emails. I don’t use it for much else and the battery lasts four or five days. I have iPad Pro 12.9 2g. No cellular. Tether to phone when I am not in range of WiFi. I use it quite a bit. The big display format enables Apple to spec a big battery, which lasts me several days. If I go on a two day trip for work, I usually don’t take chargers anymore.

I recommend the Logitech backlit keyboard. This one: Logitech Create iPad Keyboard Case with Apple Pencil Holder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks gents

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a data limit on your cell phone plan use caution with the mobile hotspot thing. I considered an iPad Pro last summer but ended up with the latest Air instead. The reviews were very positive and I can report good things as well. But I won't try to talk you out of the larger Pro. It's a choice device, especially in the larger size.

Mine is Wifi only because normally I can get a signal. But if you are camping often in that Airstream you may not have Wifi available, in which case your mobile hotspot thing works well as long as you have a signal. But it will suck your data if you're not careful. When I use it it's for a fairly limited time and then I'm sure to shut it off to make sure I'm not wasting data. If you're just downloading newspapers it's not a ton of data. Just be aware that just downloading the day's issue of the paper won't allow all the articles to open without a data connection. That can be a frustration. I get the digital NYT and it's great but to get full benefits a data signal is necessary. I'm sure you know this already.

For the record, I travel a lot and used to travel with my MacBook Air. No longer. The iPad Air does 99.5% of what I want on the road. I just wish I had a keyboard. Folks I know have the Apple keyboard accessory and like it.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still a good discussion and thanks Jim. All things considered I will need GPS so cellular. What was I thinking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we are on the topic of IPads, has anyone come up with a way to transfer / save .fit files from ridewithgps.com to an iPad and from there to a gps?
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    If you have a data limit on your cell phone plan use caution with the mobile hotspot thing. [...]
    Mine is Wifi only because normally I can get a signal. But if you are camping often in that Airstream you may not have Wifi available, in which case your mobile hotspot thing works well as long as you have a signal. But it will suck your data if you're not careful.

I am not sure I understand your point. If you are take the cellular option you still have to pay the same amount of data, but either in a separate plan or within the same one if you just order a new SIM. It doesn't really change anything in term of actual data volume. You have to make sure to have the correct plan and I guess it is easier and cheaper to have one big data plan for both.

Still going with cellular option + a second sim on the same plan might be the best way to go. In my experience the smartphones tends to get really hot when acting as a hotspot. I use it sporadically so I don't mind but I guess these are the kinds of use that might damage the battery in the long run.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-20-2020 at 04:44 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas, Verizon has a per device add on charge for the phone # associated.

Anywho, done. Reading the daily dread just got alot easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update. That ipadpro is great. Moving on moving over. Next goal is to either replace Mrs. Too's ipad with same or similar or ???
    We will travel quite alot upcoming and dig watching Netflix and other downloadable media. When we are in a place that has good WiFi downloads happen. Is the ipad best way to go for this? I'm asking in case I'm overlooking some other device that's not on my radar.

Specifically, I'd deliver the data from XXX device to our travel trailer TV via HDMI. Storing a binge-ish worth of NetFlix seems like a good target to hit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Josh, which keyboard did you get? I have the Apple but miss the lighted keys. Otherwise, it is surprisingly good and has withstood a ton of use. I saw the recommendation for the Logitech above and wonder about that one compared the the Apple. So what are you using and how do you like it?
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Update. That ipadpro is great. Moving on moving over. Next goal is to either replace Mrs. Too's ipad with same or similar or ???
    We will travel quite alot upcoming and dig watching Netflix and other downloadable media. When we are in a place that has good WiFi downloads happen. Is the ipad best way to go for this? I'm asking in case I'm overlooking some other device that's not on my radar.

Specifically, I'd deliver the data from XXX device to our travel trailer TV via HDMI. Storing a binge-ish worth of NetFlix seems like a good target to hit.
    I do a lot of binge watching on my iPad. For me it’s definitely the way to go and it’s hard to imagine having too much memory.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. This is my go-to device for traveling. Load up a bunch of media when around strong WiFi on off you go.

Also agree that getting as much memory that someone can afford is always good however managing the media on the device well means it isn’t necessary to buy the most expensive model. Deleting things that have been viewed frees up space as well as makes it easier to track where you are within a season of a show...cause the watched episodes are purged except the last one.

I have been using the Apple keyboard and pen with good luck. Makes for a sturdy base when viewing on a plane’s meal tray or lap.

I do miss the old Apple cover that folded into a triangle making it easy to hold in one hand.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the Brydge keyboards. I have used them on my last two iPads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Agreed. This is my go-to device for traveling. Load up a bunch of media when around strong WiFi on off you go.

Also agree that getting as much memory that someone can afford is always good however managing the media on the device well means it isn’t necessary to buy the most expensive model. Deleting things that have been viewed frees up space as well as makes it easier to track where you are within a season of a show...cause the watched episodes are purged except the last one.

I have been using the Apple keyboard and pen with good luck. Makes for a sturdy base when viewing on a plane’s meal tray or lap.

I do miss the old Apple cover that folded into a triangle making it easy to hold in one hand.
    I'm not hip to the pen thing. To scroll, select, swipe mostly? Keeps grubby paws off the screen I reckon.
    Brian, what amount of memory do you find good to have? I've opt'd for the 512 ipadpro 12.9 too late to turn back now.
    For Mrs. Too I've got time to decide.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-01-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm not hip to the pen thing. To scroll, select, swipe mostly? Keeps grubby paws off the screen I reckon.
    Brian, what amount of memory do you find good to have? I've opt'd for the 512 ipadpro 12.9 too late to turn back now.
    For Mrs. Too I've got time to decide.
    BTW - I/we should call the storage, storage rather than memory.

I have the same 512 ipad pro 12.9 and never have any issues nor do the other that I work with have any space/size issues.

The pen - you can scroll, select, swipe, etc but it is mainly used for taking notes, calling out edits on documents, and design work. For day to day media use I wouldn't bother.
    The notes programs are very advanced at this point. You can search notes, translate them from hand written notes to text, add photos, etc, etc. The ability to search hand written notes like you would any text documents is really helpful in a business setting.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update > Wildly happy with the Ipad pro purchase.

This: https://www.producthunt.com/posts/documents-6

Best d@mn thing for the Ipad ever.