User Tag List

Thread: My Aprilia with it's new Arrow Pipes and Race ECU and other musings....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Aprilia with it's new Arrow Pipes and Race ECU and other musings....

Holy Shi'ite- this thing is fukcing loud now. I couuld put the supplied baffle in it...but meh.

the thing does feel like it got a little bit of a power bump- but who knows- i can't come close to opening the throttle all the way on this bike.

one thing i do know- is that lane splitting is so much easier now. those loud pipes make me into moses parting the HOV lane and the passing lane. previously no one heard my bike or moved- now everyone hears it and probably every fourth person pulls to the side to give me more room.

my cat HATES my bike now. he hears it coming and bolts under the bed. the only thing he hates more is the garbage truck. honestly alleviating the suffering of my frucking cat is FAR more likely to make me install the baffle than worrying about my neighbor's stupid sensitive car alarm, the environment, my own hearing, etc.

my old man bought me a nice Garmin GPS and i've got a stem mount that should position it pretty perfectly. i need to figure out how to route the cables to the battery so they aren't visible but i'll figure it out. i get lost a lot and GPS is going to be great.

i also ordered a quick fill gas cap because the stock one sucks with California pumps.

i also ordered this awesome helmet:Evoline PRO Carbon - DISCOVERY

i love my AGV Iannone edition Pista Carbon. it's light and aero and awesome. it's the best full face helmet i've ever tried. it's super light, really loud, and really aero. you can look around without the wind pushing your skull around, it tucks really nice and has great field of vision....but it sucks when it's super hot out and for riding around in town. this Shark thing isn't legal in the USA although it passes tests far harder than our DOT tests- so I ordered it from Spain. It can be used and ridden at all speeds as either a half helmet, a 3/4 helmet or full face. plus it can fit a communication device that the AGV doesn't allow. i'm going to get one for Kate too I think if I end up liking it.

next gadgets for the Aprilia will be either some slick rear sets or new levers. One day- I'll get fancy wheels too. I'd love some super light mags or carbon wheels.

Anyway check out my pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Aprilia with it's new Arrow Pipes and Race ECU and other musings....

Looking good Craig!

Did you do a custom map on the Race ECU? Or load the standard Arrrow full system map. I've head some folks use both the Race ECU and a PCV. Which, I just don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    One day- I'll get fancy wheels too. I'd love some super light mags or carbon wheels.
    I'm considering carbon wheels for the 675R track bike. Looking at the BST and Rotobox options.

PS - Are moto topics showing up here instead of the OT sub forum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Aprilia with it's new Arrow Pipes and Race ECU and other musings....

We will need a clip with sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Looking good Craig!

Did you do a custom map on the Race ECU? Or load the standard Arrrow full system map. I've head some folks use both the Race ECU and a PCV. Which, I just don't understand.

I'm considering carbon wheels for the 675R track bike. Looking at the BST and Rotobox options.

PS - Are moto topics showing up here instead of the OT sub forum?
    sorry if i put this in the wrong place!

i just got the race ECU. i don't know about a custom map or an Arrow full system map. My understanding was that you need the race ECU for any aftermarket pipes and that only the Arrow or the Akras allow enough back pressure with these bikes that you don't risk killing your engine.

in your experience should i be doing something else with the ECU?

i hear great things about the BST and Rotobox wheels. the Brits seem to LOVE fancy wheels in a way we don't. i'm becoming super into magazines like Fast Bikes. I do want to keep nudging my RSV4 into more and more of a race bike/track bike that I can still ride and enjoy on the road. honestly- the new pipes make it more enjoyable on the road.

i'm looking forward to getting the double bubble wind screen too. at 6 foot 3 i can use the extra bit to hide behind!
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry if i put this in the wrong place!

i just got the race ECU. i don't know about a custom map or an Arrow full system map. My understanding was that you need the race ECU for any aftermarket pipes and that only the Arrow or the Akras allow enough back pressure with these bikes that you don't risk killing your engine.

in your experience should i be doing something else with the ECU?

i hear great things about the BST and Rotobox wheels. the Brits seem to LOVE fancy wheels in a way we don't. i'm becoming super into magazines like Fast Bikes. I do want to keep nudging my RSV4 into more and more of a race bike/track bike that I can still ride and enjoy on the road. honestly- the new pipes make it more enjoyable on the road.

i'm looking forward to getting the double bubble wind screen too. at 6 foot 3 i can use the extra bit to hide behind!
    It's my understanding the Race ECU can be loaded with the predefined map for the exhaust system installed, or remapped on a dyno.

Check out this description on the Race ECU listing from AF1 Racing, "When you order this official Aprilia ECU, AF1 Racing selects the newest, and best available RACE map for your V4 . This ECU is "unlocked" and can be updated to newer RACE maps by your dealer (if newer maps become available)."

If you run across any good conversations/comparisons on BST and Rotobox, please send my way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates on the ECU configuration?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Any updates on the ECU configuration?

i really like it. it seems somehow crisper and like the torque curve is a bit flatter. the throttle response seems better too. i always ride the thing in "race" mode because i like the way the engine braking feels in that mode best.

it's funny with a 1000cc 4cycl with this much horsepower. you never need to ring the thing out and it almost doesn't matter what gear you are in for "normal" riding. now that i have several thousand miles on the thing, i can confidently say i wouldn't change anything about the engine charachter or the handling charachteristics. sure- like anything it could afford to lose some weight and if it were "built for me" i would probably want the seat a little higher and the reach a little longer- after four hours my knees start to feel it- but i need to stop for water more than i do anyway.

i was all excited about carbon wheels and was saving my pennies for a pair of Rotobox when I came across a great deal on a pair of Aprilia Racing wheels that came off a Factory. They're aluminum but weigh less than anyone elses' magnesium wheels and rival the carbon wheels actually. The rear weighs 10.4lbs and the front weighs 6.5 pounds. Compared to the stock wheels that came on my RR we're saving 10lbs. were i to go with the Rotobox carbon jobs i'd have saved an additional five pounds which is crazy- but I'm getting the Aprilia forged wheels for $1500 installed from the shop in Santa Monica where I bought my bike. I kinda wish they weren't red- because the stock cast wheels were also red- but meh.

the Arrow pipes are really great too. the bike sounds amazing and is just loud enough that people can hear me when i'm lane splitting and quiet enough that i'm not setting off car alarms and most importantly i'm only the third loudest bike in my alley. my next door neighbor with his crazy shovelhead handilly wins that contest- and there is a gixxer in the garage next to mine that sounds awful. not just loud- but awful. i think it has some no-name trash slip ons on it with Akra stickers- but maybe they're real who knows.

i'm hoping to sign up for flat track classes this spring. the most important thing at this point is i need to learn how to ride.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Craig, I'll sell you my monster delivered for some cash and a plane ticket home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really like it. it seems somehow crisper and like the torque curve is a bit flatter. the throttle response seems better too. i always ride the thing in "race" mode because i like the way the engine braking feels in that mode best.

it's funny with a 1000cc 4cycl with this much horsepower. you never need to ring the thing out and it almost doesn't matter what gear you are in for "normal" riding. now that i have several thousand miles on the thing, i can confidently say i wouldn't change anything about the engine charachter or the handling charachteristics. sure- like anything it could afford to lose some weight and if it were "built for me" i would probably want the seat a little higher and the reach a little longer- after four hours my knees start to feel it- but i need to stop for water more than i do anyway.

i was all excited about carbon wheels and was saving my pennies for a pair of Rotobox when I came across a great deal on a pair of Aprilia Racing wheels that came off a Factory. They're aluminum but weigh less than anyone elses' magnesium wheels and rival the carbon wheels actually. The rear weighs 10.4lbs and the front weighs 6.5 pounds. Compared to the stock wheels that came on my RR we're saving 10lbs. were i to go with the Rotobox carbon jobs i'd have saved an additional five pounds which is crazy- but I'm getting the Aprilia forged wheels for $1500 installed from the shop in Santa Monica where I bought my bike. I kinda wish they weren't red- because the stock cast wheels were also red- but meh.

the Arrow pipes are really great too. the bike sounds amazing and is just loud enough that people can hear me when i'm lane splitting and quiet enough that i'm not setting off car alarms and most importantly i'm only the third loudest bike in my alley. my next door neighbor with his crazy shovelhead handilly wins that contest- and there is a gixxer in the garage next to mine that sounds awful. not just loud- but awful. i think it has some no-name trash slip ons on it with Akra stickers- but maybe they're real who knows.

i'm hoping to sign up for flat track classes this spring. the most important thing at this point is i need to learn how to ride.
    Cool, I was wondering how this was going. Jealous!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is so cool Craig. I’m glad it’s come together.

…i can confidently say i wouldn't change anything about the engine charachter or the handling charachteristics. sure- like anything it could afford to lose some weight and if it were "built for me" i would probably want the seat a little higher and the reach a little longer- after four hours my knees start to feel it…
    Couple things to consider. You might be able to make some room with aftermarket rear sets and clip-ons. Or, rebuilding the seat pad and adding foam. That’s an easy way to manage it on race bikes because the foam is basically just glued to the tail section. For street bikes it’s bit more involved but not horrible. On my F800GS I think I add 2 inches of foam to the seat when Renazco rebuilt it.

excited about carbon wheels and was saving my pennies for a pair of Rotobox when I came across a great deal on a pair of Aprilia Racing wheels that came off a Factory. They're aluminum but weigh less than anyone elses' magnesium wheels and rival the carbon wheels actually.
    You are going to love those. Probably the single change that has the biggest impact on performance.

Carbon or forged aluminum are definitely on the roadmap for my 675R. Right now my thinking is BST for carbon (they have been in market longer than Rotobox and I love the idea that there designs have more real world experience) and OZ Racing for the forged aluminum. I think OZ does the Aprilia Factory wheels.

Dude, you are going to freak. Definitely do that. I did Danny Walker’s Supercamp almost 20 years ago and it changed everything for me. Granted, new school body position on sport bikes had dramatically changed, the flat track is all about throttle control and that is still the same!

Over the last year I have been rebuilding my cornering position on the bike and I have to say, I love it. The other big change that has been an eye-opener is trail braking. DAMN. If you are not yet trail braking, put that on your list and be prepared to be amazed.