Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting my job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Quitting my job.

I just elected Voluntary Separation to begin the first week of May with 3 months severance. My son graduates from high school on 6/2 and reports the US Naval Academy on 6/28 to begin that odyssey. I'm planning on being a professional cyclist during May and June while my headhunter finds me a new job, hopefully with relocation. Exciting times. I'm a retired Naval Officer so I'm not super motivated but I do need to work to have the toys I want. I'm 52 and plan on working to 60. Now to figure out where to live.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quitting my job.

Congrats. I'd write more, but I need to get back to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't give advice because I'm on the other end (finishing grad school and trying to get a job), but congrats to and your son! best of luck with the next phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping an eye on this thread Bill. If I'm anywhere near you we'll knock out some miles. Congrats on both counts BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I just elected Voluntary Separation to begin the first week of May with 3 months severance. My son graduates from high school on 6/2 and reports the US Naval Academy on 6/28 to begin that odyssey. I'm planning on being a professional cyclist during May and June while my headhunter finds me a new job, hopefully with relocation. Exciting times. I'm a retired Naval Officer so I'm not super motivated but I do need to work to have the toys I want. I'm 52 and plan on working to 60. Now to figure out where to live.
    Good for you. I will be having the same discussion early April, as you and I had discussed. Aiming for the end of the year, thinking that they may wish to refer back to fiscal year end - Sept. 30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

congrats. i have never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad's a retired navy commander. He put in 21 years and now does exactly the same job in the private sector basically, ship building for Navy contracts. He was born in 1944 and will work till he drops dead if he has a choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is 26 too young to retire?

Congrats Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post

Congrats Bill.
    not if you have the means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on how much money you've got!

Congrats Bill. Thanks for your service, enjoy the time to do what you want!

And, come to GA the last weekend in May for the Thomasville Classic - it can be your debut race as a pro ;-)
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats and thank you for your service.

As to the other question (and some thread drift), how much is enough?

I know it is a personal decision but how much would everyone need in the bank to hang it up for good and jut ride your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    not if you have the means.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

Congrats Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bill..,

--- i retired from corporate after 35 years.., 15 years ago..
    kept involved full time with lubrication and marketing / consulting over
    the past 15 years..
    kept my mind active and with purpose.., even through recent health issue..
    just exited that realm jan 1st..

kind'a lost.., but now i look back with the desire to do things physically that no longer
    can do ---- sooooo enjoy --- don't chase $'s, ego/pride.., chase happiness..

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

And, come to GA the last weekend in May for the Thomasville Classic - it can be your debut race as a pro ;-)
    That looks like a great event but we have to be in San Antonio that weekend for the Texas Congressional sendoff for service academy candidates. I'm doing the Gravel King series in Texas this year but only the events within 2 hours of where I live. I did the Chainring Massacre last weekend and there are a few more before the Kantdu Kanza on June 3rd. That will be my first 100 mile gravel race and my first Pro event in the 45-54 class. If nothing else I'll have a good tan.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, a top 50+ yr old pro rider can easily expect to earn between $45 and $75 a year before expenses.
    plus 2-3 assorted hats and prs of gloves and stuff...
    don't forget to account for this additional income when making your calculations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Congrats and thank you for your service.

As to the other question (and some thread drift), how much is enough?

I know it is a personal decision but how much would everyone need in the bank to hang it up for good and jut ride your bike?
    How much depends on where you want to live and ride. A lot of the really great places to ride are expensive. If you already own a home in one of those places then you're ahead of the curve. Where I live, the weather is good for cycling year round with the exception of a few days here and there of winter weather. The roads aren't that great and the countryside is full of loose dogs that want to take your legs off. I'll start road riding this weekend but otherwise all of my 600 miles this month have been on gravel and rails to trails.

I'll likely get another engineering job and do that for another 7-8 years. My son has a 9 year commitment to the Navy (college + 5 years) so I'd have to see where he ends up and at least live in the same time zone, preferably within 4-5 hours. Another thought was to put everything in storage and buy a nice trailer RV and go north in the summer and south in the winter to cycle. I used to have a dream of being the next Woody Graham. He was a semi-legend that would ride at least one century a weekend and traveled from event to event. I'd like to do that with gravel events.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

hey, a top 50+ yr old pro rider can easily expect to earn between $45 and $75 a year before expenses.
    don't forget to account for this additional income when making your calculations.
    AKA, The Dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, bill needs to talk to his accountant. Best prizes I ever won were an hour massage and a bag containing an ice cream scoop and beef jerky. Different years. I still use the ice cream scoop but the jerky didn't survive the drive home.. As best I can recall, I'm not sure I declared either prize as income.

Congrats bill. Exciting times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff Bill. I am on my glide path for Navy retirement this summer but likely will be helping out at USNA for the induction day process and plebe summer. Should I get in your kid's face a bit to enhance his 'indoctrination experience'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am only a few years behind you.

My wife and I do not have kids (informed decision made in our 20s). We live a very financially conservative lifestyle (some would say frugal others would say miserly) except for bikes for me and shoes for her because everyone needs at least one vice. After the move to Boston we started working with a new accountant who last year said, "you do not have to live like this, you could enjoy yourselves a lot more now". The other side of that equation is we can retire much earlier than most.

I stopped working recently because I did not like my previous job and have always wanted to attend grad school so I am taking this year off. It will help with my career but my wife worries I may never go back to work. For me, the past month has been a difficult adjustment trying to find out how to become a student again, find people/friends who are available for social outings during the work day, and putting up with the horrible weather in the NorthEast. I write this at my dining room table having not yet eaten breakfast and still in my pajamas. Getting up and out everyday is the current challenge.

How much depends on where you want to live and ride. A lot of the really great places to ride are expensive. If you already own a home in one of those places then you're ahead of the curve. Where I live, the weather is good for cycling year round with the exception of a few days here and there of winter weather. The roads aren't that great and the countryside is full of loose dogs that want to take your legs off. I'll start road riding this weekend but otherwise all of my 600 miles this month have been on gravel and rails to trails.

I'll likely get another engineering job and do that for another 7-8 years. My son has a 9 year commitment to the Navy (college + 5 years) so I'd have to see where he ends up and at least live in the same time zone, preferably within 4-5 hours. Another thought was to put everything in storage and buy a nice trailer RV and go north in the summer and south in the winter to cycle. I used to have a dream of being the next Woody Graham. He was a semi-legend that would ride at least one century a weekend and traveled from event to event. I'd like to do that with gravel events.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I'm 33, have 28yrs left on a mortgage, and our first baby due in ~7.5 weeks.

So, I don't know how much I'd need to retire right now, but I know it's *way* more than we have invested/saved up!

On the plus side, unlike many (most?) folks our age my wife and I do have a some retirement savings. My grandparents always pushed me to save, and to do it early, so we did. Plus we've grown up hearing about how Social Security is going bankrupt, pensions no longer exist, etc, so we aren't counting on anyone else to save for us.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast