User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salonistas, please read this. Lost a great friend, but you can help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Salonistas, please read this. Lost a great friend, but you can help!

first of all this will most likely be the longest thing i have ever posted anywhere, and the most important. Stay with me, i am no writer, poet, or wordsmith. This is all heart.

I recently lost one of my dearest friends and by far the largest hearted person i have known. A friend who spent several days a week in my Fab shop, many evenings in my home, and hundreds of hours riding motorcycles, climbing, kayaking or just shooting the shit.

Jon Van Doran, who everyone referred to as 'Ironman,' because of his huge upper body from walking on crutches as a parapalegic. This guy was an animal, that never let his inability to walk stop him from doing anything.

I first met Ironman about 15 years ago when he came into my fab shop in Nashville. His first question was, "hey, could you make me some fight specific crutches?" 'Absolutely,' i replied. Jon was a 3rd degree blackbelt and that was the first of many projects we would tackle together. Our biggest being the Harley that we built for him, which he still rode 20k miles a year on. We road motorcycles all over America, we built him a 1956 Apache that he could drive, and a handcycle. This cat was almost unstoppable. He once told me the only thing that he wish he could do was to dance.

He worked at a machine shop up until about 4 years ago until he just got to nervous about tripping or falling or getting hurt. I now live about 75 miles outside of Nashville in a small college town with the State Engineering school. Ironman is sort of a "city kitty,' hardcore music, punk rock and what not. However, he called out one day and asked me about moving to Cookeville to go to school for Mechanical Engineering, he wanted to get a degree and get into Adaptive technology for kids, building equipment for kids to get outside kayaking, caving, fishing, cycling or whatever. He was a semester away from getting that degree, and we were working on his final project which was for a kid with Spinabifida.

We recently built him a rig to rapel with, and that dude would drop anywhere. Nothing could hold him back. So we thought.

About a year a go he started to complain of some discomfort in his pelvic area and hemorrhoids, Docs kept telling him it was because of the way he walked on crutches and that he was always going to be sore. This fucker was tough as nails, if he said it hurt, then it hurt.

2 months ago we are getting kayaks out at an event for kids, he passed out and we were told he had an aneurysm. Life flight to Vanderbilt, 6" scar on his head and this dude wakes up smiling saying how awesome this is all gonna be. WTF?? i am down there looking at him like, only you Ironman can make this positive. Short story, that was the beginning of a very quick demise. His pelvic discomfort was Angiosarcoma that had gotten so big it snapped his pelvis and he had thousands of tumors. Until the very end, he kept saying, "I got this.'' He didnt and i fucking hate everything about cancer, i hate that it took not just a friend, but a heart that the world cant contain.

I dont like when people say that he was a good man, or he is in a better place. But, this was a great man taken from us at 35.

The good news and what you can do:
    Before Jon had passed we were working on starting a foundation for disabled kids called The Ironwill Project, that will go on but we are not done with it.

However there is an organization Therapeutic Adventures that we are partnering with until we get that off the ground.

Jackson Kayaks has donated a boat to us to raffle off, and some climbing gear. The raffle is online, all of the money goes to Therapeutic Adventures and you can win a Kayak. A TRUE BALLER, if they won would let us sell the kayak and donate that money as well.! However, i am in tennessee and so is the kayak. if you win it and want me to hold it, or i travel a lot and could meet you or bring it to Ballers this year or whatever, i do not care. I want you to give money to a good cause for a great guy to help kids that need it. Period.

No guilt here, but you should do this.

you can enter at rallyup.com
    www.rallyup.com/512499 to be exact

or PM me, the drawing is saturday. So do it now please.
    All love to those that help,
    Jason Moore-rowdyhillrambler
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Salonistas, please read this. Lost a great friend, but you can help!

‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Salonistas, please read this. Lost a great friend, but you can help!

Mind if I post this across the hall? They've got some big hearts and generous pockets as well.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent! Thanks brother. All love

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done. And if I win, make the most of selling the prize to a local and donate that as well.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done Dave! Baller status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving story. Tickets bought, amounts donated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Andy, peace

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done. Happy to help, but saddened about the circumstances. I don't need the kayak either.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve!! Above and beyond the call..

You guys are killing it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason, thanks for sharing. C-sucks. Loosing a great human too soon even more.
    Hopefully you'll selling a kayak for one of us : )
    =peace=

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx Speedychix! A true inspiration you are as well. Love goes out to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doing my small part. Sorry for the sad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another big donation from a Salonista! Anon, it says, but I think I know who it is..

$10 or $1000, everything is equally appreciated. It all goes to the greater good.

If you can't afford to give, at least you are maybe now aware of a great organization and a great man, in the future you can keep them in mind.

Thanks again Anne!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monadnocky, no such thing as a small part. We are all in this together, you know 'a village,' and all. Your donation is just what we need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving story. I'm "in".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for your loss Rowdy, he sounds like a awesome guy. In for 2 tickets, wish I could do more, but two mortgages and all that.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Dustin, you did plenty. Thanks brother, I will see you out there someday, hopefully in the dirt. Thanks again.

Toots, big man-big heart. Gratitude and peace

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in for 5 Rowdy for a good cause and the boat is yours if it comes my way! Great pitch and good luck with the fundraising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast