Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuck up friday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fuck up friday

Making a complete fucking mess of things is sometimes a vluable part of the learning curve, if you follow instagram you will find It's sometimes the case that i post a piece of work that i just scrapped

No biggy as long as you walk away from the even having learned something

Heres two items we screwed up at midnight last night ,which wouldnt have been so bad if the other side pair hadn't been perfect and the customer hadn't been busting to get hold of em

Learned,

S53 doesnt like blunt cutters

Walking away and coming back the next day with a clear head is often better than scrapping two prototype parts with a value of over £500

feel free to load up you best all time fuck ups (disclaimer failed relationships ,excluded)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fuck up friday

I'll play since I did this just a couple days ago. I tacked in a set of chainstays. Then realized "shit, I forgot to dimple for chainring clearance". Then, rather than just calling Kings X and staring over, I figured I would try and dimple the stay in situ. But I had the frame in the vice upside down and not paying attention, I dimpled the non-drive chainstay. Yeah, a colossal fuck up. I learned from that one. Holy shit did I learn.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a few...

I brazed a BB to a seat tube, only to later discover that the vent holes I'd put in the seat tube for the top tube and seatstay stub were reversed. I'm going to use that for a TT bike build for myself down the line. The intersecting tubes will be FAR down the seat tube for that build, and reinforced.

And just recently I was mitering a pair of chainstays for the BB, after having the dropouts attached. 7/8" stays, crimped and all... They were going to intersect the BB as far low as I can get them. So I cut them off at an angle, start making the rounded miter, and realize I hadn't flipped the dummy axle in the V-block. I had the angle cut the wrong direction. These will also be used in that TT build, since the stays are much shorter on that bike and hopefully will allow enough extra space to re-cut the angle.

I had one frame complete, painted, and building it up... GXP BB would thread in hard half-way, then stop. I'd put the BB in backwards (to my defense, the indicating groove was on the wrong side, but I should have checked. Re-cock and loc-tite in a mega-exo BB for a different set of cranks. You can be sure I checked every BB on every build and partial build right after that one.

I've used a non-zero point to measure from on a metric tape, only to not compensate the other end... Yep, tube too short. Mitered too deep on the down tube compound miter. My scrap bin abounds.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was drilling a vent hole in my seat tube with a step drill. I was using a long skinny one like the one pictured below on the left. As I was getting to the size hole I wanted, so focused on the steps, I did not realize why it had suddenly gotten harder to cut through until I realized that I had drilled through the other size.

stepped%20drills[1].jpg

Now I only use the more stout stet drill, like the one pictured on the right.
    Michael Gordon
    Shop Dog Cycles
    www.shopdogcycles.com
    Highland Park, IL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not me thankfully, but a friend of mine had this go down at this work last month:

A month ago or so a guy got shot through a lathe at the shop my friend works at in Phoenix - he was turning down 2" pipe to be threaded to make legs for power poles - it was cold (maybe 50*F in PHX is cold) so he had on a hoodie & it grabbed his neck string (they think) and he tried to get loose, and it grabbed his arm & tore it off then shoved him at speed in-between the work piece and the bed………shot him out the other side……..buddy says CPR was like shoving on a bag filed with jello & dominoes, no blood at all, all came down in less the two seconds.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-pho...-north-phoenix

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Not me thankfully, but a friend of mine had this go down at this work last month:

A month ago or so a guy got shot through a lathe at the shop my friend works at in Phoenix - he was turning down 2" pipe to be threaded to make legs for power poles - it was cold (maybe 50*F in PHX is cold) so he had on a hoodie & it grabbed his neck string (they think) and he tried to get loose, and it grabbed his arm & tore it off then shoved him at speed in-between the work piece and the bed………shot him out the other side……..buddy says CPR was like shoving on a bag filed with jello & dominoes, no blood at all, all came down in less the two seconds.

PD: Man dies after industrial accident in north Phoenix - ABC15 Arizona

- Garro.
    A case to be made for clamps and files...
    DT

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    A case to be made for clamps and files...
    Hardly.

It's a case for waking the fuck up.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that machine said:

DO NOT OPERATE WHEN WEARING JEWELRY OR UNRESTRAINED CLOTHING OR HAIRSTYLES

This isn't a tit-for-tat files vs mill shit - this is real.

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's go on the assumption that anyone who posts in Fuck Up Friday is keenly aware of HOW and WHY they fucked up and are not in need of suggestion. Unless asked for.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong -- I'm in agreement with you. It's more a comment on me that, many times, those machines that make the job "faster and more repeatable" scare the living shit out of me because things can go irretrievably south in less than a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Hardly.

It's a case for waking the fuck up.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that machine said:

DO NOT OPERATE WHEN WEARING JEWELRY OR UNRESTRAINED CLOTHING OR HAIRSTYLES

This isn't a tit-for-tat files vs mill shit - this is real.

- Garro.
    DT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    Don't get me wrong -- I'm in agreement with you. It's more a comment on me that, many times, those machines that make the job "faster and more repeatable" scare the living shit out of me because things can go irretrievably south in less than a heartbeat.
    Like driving cars, yeah?

I've done just about every fuck up listed and then some, but I've never been caught in a machine.
    I let my friend run his lathe when I need something - I'm not safe in a chair.

I've had some fucking spurters from sharp tube ends with a file - just miss and you're down to the fascia.

Had an exposed tendon once.

DAMN!

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, one from a couple of days ago. Mitring chainstays, just as I always do, the drill was a bit slow. Went to change the battery, but didn't have a spare in the charger. Oh well, just go slowly then.

Except it turns out that on my rig, which cuts beautifully when the drill is running at 2000rpm, snags and makes a horrible mess of the tube when run at a lower speed. Next time I'll wait the 15 minutes it takes to charge the battery.

But if you want blood, a good one was a few years ago trying to shift a bearing on a Schlumpf axle. It wouldn't bufge, so like an idiot I got a small flat-blade screwdriver and started prying at it. It pinged, and the screwdriver went right through my thumb and out through the nail. That thumb got the size of a golf ball, and the black dirty grease has left two blakc marks on opposite sides of my thumb to remind me not to be so stupid in future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother was doing something with a screwdriver a while back and somehow stabbed himself in the eye. Damaged beyond repair unfortunately.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't work on machines after 11 pm. I nearly had my cnc mill running, so I stayed up until 3 and ran my finger through a pulley/belt combo. Fortunately I managed to pull it out before a significant amount of my finger was crushed, but it still made a big impression on me -- literally. And I have a rule, I don't mess around with the lathe while it's running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So painful to admit. NEVER once considered Shimano 11 mechanical used dynasys ratios. Take me now. fek fek fek fek fekitty fek

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday at my day job I'm building a primary heat exchanger for an F-18. I've been building them all week, one every 5 hours for 12 hrs a day. The kinda deal you do almost by reflex. Except that I hooked up the purge line and started welding, before lifting my hood up 10 minutes later to look at the flowmeter that feeds my purge line and not seeing the little ball floating. I'd neglected to turn on the argon after plugging it in, which meant I had to cut the whole thing apart, sand down all the sugared welds and start over. I did not lol.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Yesterday at my day job I'm building a primary heat exchanger for an F-18. I've been building them all week, one every 5 hours for 12 hrs a day. The kinda deal you do almost by reflex. Except that I hooked up the purge line and started welding, before lifting my hood up 10 minutes later to look at the flowmeter that feeds my purge line and not seeing the little ball floating. I'd neglected to turn on the argon after plugging it in, which meant I had to cut the whole thing apart, sand down all the sugared welds and start over. I did not lol.
    You're better than that.

3228202-8328650696-tumbl.jpg

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a gem from my past.
    Shit like this only happens once or twice a week now that I'm uber-skilled.

The fine print:
    here is an exposé, lesson, safety net, and more, rolled into one atmo. i have been brazing up forks on and off for two days and had about 10 in the bag when the last unit was loaded in the fixture. i prefer doing some things one at a time, and other things en masse. data point - en masse does not mean in massachusetts. since i have only been back to work for a week or so, i decided to light up all the blades. typical me, self-absorbed and shit, i was smarting all along the way with how well it was going despite my hiatus from the bench, and also reveling in how tight the tolerances and brazing lines were coming out. when i got to this last guy, i had the second-guess thing descend on me; mister second-guess is a guy you don't wanna meet when you make a frame, and especially when you are making a fork atmo.

when i completed the assembly task and washed off the flux, i noticed that the linearity reading using the M+L table told me that the center-line of the tips, though at a nice 101mm OLD width, was over to one side of the steering axis by nearly 2mm. that falls outside of my comfort zone with respect to what i would willingly align into spec. but, to borrow a phrase that pal CPG often used, "but that's just me". i guess if it was a B model (sic) or a team frame, i might have leaned on it and showed the fork who's boss, especially since it was the last pair i was gonna braze for a while. but second-guessing won me over and i decided to sacrifice the fork in the name of low budget R and D. for me here at the new presidential palace, that means destroying the fork and seeing how far i can bend anything bendable before something appears truly broken. in short, despite the alignment issue, i want assurance that the brazing will stay intact until i can't push and pull any longer.

the pic set on flickr was loaded in order. i shot close-ups and at regular distances so you could see what i saw. the long and short of it is that once the tip width got to near 12", i couldn't get the blades any further apart for fear of tearing the bench out of the wall, or breaking my elbows trying. the entire sacrifice was done with the steering column firmly clamped in the bench vise. only after i got to the 12" mark did i begin to see a slight blem (i used MS paint program to make it clearer for you to view. notice the red marks on some of the later images.) that could be considered the beginning of brazing shear. NOTE: this only appeared when the front fork tips were nearly a foot apart from each other. when i was done strong-arming the sucker, i sawed the blades off and tried to take some pics of the inside fillet, or whatever it's called.

for the record, i used a straight gauge 1.6mm steerer, columbus SL blades, and BAg-7 (56 percent silver alloy) brazing rod. this fork, while it was out of spec after cooling, probably could have been safely pulled into alignment for the 1-2 millimeters needed and not really sweated the consequences. but seeing it come out post brazing a whopping 2mm over to one side raised a red flag here. hey - what color did you expect it to be?

cheap insurance atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this has quite literally been my face while reading this thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    You're better than that.
    I will be for quite a long time. I had cutting wheel and inconel dust come out in when I used my neti pot:(
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL.