User Tag List

Thread: Demand Planning/Forecasting, is that your job?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Demand Planning/Forecasting, is that your job?

I'm interviewing on Thursday for an International Forecaster & Demand Planner position at a bike company.
    I've held positions that had some overlap with the job description, but I'd like to know, from someone who works in that position, what they do so maybe I can better realize how I can pitch my past exeriences as applicable.
    So, if anyone holds that or a similar position and is willing to talk about yourself and educate me a bit, I'd reallllly appreciate it (I reallllly want to work there). Happy to do via comments or PM :)

Thanks!
    Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Demand Planning/Forecasting, is that your job?

I played that role as well as other dependent and independent disciplines within the Aerospace and Defense sector for years. The type of Business System (home grown or off the shelf) the company your interviewing with is or is planning on using has a HUGE influence on the value of one's response. PM me if you'd like to discuss further..., good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this currently for the retail division of a global computer company that recently went private. You have one guess which one.

From a high level, the methods of demand planning and forecasting are the same whether dealing with people on phones, shiploads of computer hardware coming from China, or parts supply at factories. How much of (X) do you need by (Y), how long does it take to make (Z), and how long does it take to get here (B). The more assumptions you can measure directly (and show control over) the better predictions can be generated. We spend a lot of time looking backwards 6-12 weeks in order to determine what we need to do for the upcoming 6-12 weeks.

There are tons of software and systems that can be used to do this, but our retail division was such a paradigm shift from the way we did business for decades that we had to invest a ton of time in understanding how to do large scale demand planning and forecasting. Tools would have created dependencies that decreased our ability to learn. (kind of like frame building, I guess)

Regression analysis is your friend. As is always having an ace-in-the-hole that can fix problems, even if it costs a lot to play that ace and you don't do it often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pmed :)

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm interested to know where the overlap you have is and to hear how you get on with this. I'm in a planning position and always looking to broaden horizons. My position is more on the the operations side of things, so I can't really offer any practical advice, but feel free to reach out if you think I might be able to... In a nutshell, I bridge the gaps between supply chain planners/project managers and manufacturing.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I'm interested to know where the overlap you have is and to hear how you get on with this. I'm in a planning position and always looking to broaden horizons. My position is more on the the operations side of things, so I can't really offer any practical advice, but feel free to reach out if you think I might be able to... In a nutshell, I bridge the gaps between supply chain planners/project managers and manufacturing.
    my current role is terms and conditions/contract management, so i've done negotiations with end-customers and suppliers. the overlap comes in negotiating price for spare parts purchases depending on set-up costs, learning curve, production runs, contract values, etc.
    my other experience was during a co-op with a consulting firm, i would read gov't department budget reports and try to identify which of my company's capabilities could be pitched as solutions to some of the needs highlighted in the budget proposals. then we'd try to beat the RFP process and be the ones to initiate the discussion rather than them.
    so, my overlap is moreso on the demand planning vs. forecasting, but im definitely tuned into considering the entirety of an environment prior to decision-making.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a retail vendor for about 15 years, and worked with a variety of demand planning systems for major national retailers as well as independents - sometimes both at the same time - although not in the bike biz. As Hammer said, the scope of the role can vary based on the system in place. PM me anytime if you want another sounding board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

god, I just spent the afternoon dealing with this stuff. now it pops up here. is there no escape!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with the interview, man!