User Tag List

Thread: Looking back on the crystal ball...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Looking back on the crystal ball...

It's been five years since I posted a contest on the blog asking readers to follow clues to identify five framebuilders, the first correct submission won some free Groovy product. The majority of these guys were relatively new professionals who had established themselves in the niche and were "guys to watch". It's interesting to look now at the prognostication and see the how their presence and work has evolved.

The original post is here... Groovy Cycleworks 330-988-0537: Super Duper Handlebar contest time...

but I've snipped out the goods for ya:

As many of you check out the blog because you enjoy seeing the building process in action, I thought, what better way to expose you to some of the best custom guys out there than through our contest. Each of the questions will require you to check out a small offering of some worthy builders laboring for your enjoyment. Many of them are regular readers, some are NAHBS exhibitors, and others just have some distinctive style that is worth checking out. Stuck? Feel free to leave a comment begging for more clues and I'll see what I can do. Regardless, check out there work if you appreciate handmade love at it's finest.

Here we go...

1.) This builder working out of the Sun Devil state, is known for his fillet brazing, curved top tubes, and now rolls on three wheels when on single track. Bolstered by a awesome wife, he's overcome adversity to keep people smiling on two wheels.

2.) Although named for a car's propulsion (the antithesis of cycling), this focused builder craves clean lines, classic styling, and operates out of the City of Brotherly love. A focused pro, I enjoy his energy and commitment to his beliefs, whether speaking of bicycle fabrication or his favorite beer :)

3.) Out of the state that harbor the McKenzie river trail (a classic destination mind you), a distinctive style of long flowing steel curves, micro fillets, and rich paint by Keith Anderson, this builder named his company after his favorite dog's breed. He's also a heckuva nice guy who is consistently striving to improve his own knowledge and skill to produce a better product for his customers.

4.) A young up and comer, though his company's name conveys the cold bitter season, his work and style looks fast, tight, and on fire. Though soft spoken, his personal flair is exemplified in his tats, his work, and his commitment to sharing the love of cycling with others. He's also the only builder I know with an art degree in metal sculpting.

5.) Slaving away since '94, this builder deserves kudos as he is one of the rare leaders that have been able to keep the micro bicycle factory business model moving forward. Contrary to the name of his company, he's not mean at all. The folks of New York are lucky to have him.

I could go on all day with great/worthy builders to recognize, but picked the above folks for the diversity of the craft they offer. If y'all enjoy the contest, perhaps will do it again with another round of interesting fabricators.

Many of these fine professionals still grace our forum here at VS, give it a go and see just how easy the answers come now with 5 years more experience/exposure/growth.

cheers,

rody
    Rody Walter
    Groovy Cycleworks...Custom frames with a dash of Funk!
    Website - www.groovycycleworks.com
    Blog - www.groovycycleworks.blogspot.com
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Groov...s/227115749408

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking back on the crystal ball...

I know all five. Very cool to look back/forward.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Steve G
    2. Drew G
    3. Fred C
    4. Eric E
    5. Mickey?

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm struggling with number 3. I'm sure it will be a "duh" moment when I figure it out.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coconino
    Engin
    Wolfhound
    Winter
    Sinister

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the correct answers were...

Steve G of Coconino...still kicking around VS and celebrating 10 years of building
    Drew G of Engin...another VS contributer, Nahbs attendee, and has evolved to building only in TI
    Fred C of Wolfhound...has scaled back his presence a bit but is still building and enjoying life
    Eric E of Winter...a mod here at VS, his bikes continue to evoke smiles and is gracing other continents with his show attendance and talks
    Carl S of Vicious...moved away from the small factory model and is now focused on Metal Guru, an frame fabrication instructional effort
    Rody Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Beaudoin View Post
    Coconino
    Engin
    Wolfhound
    Winter
    Sinister
    I think you've got it except for the last one; Vicious Cycles.
    Jason Henkle
    flickr
    instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops...just a moment too late.
    Jason Henkle
    flickr
    instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rody....that was fun! I had them all except for Wolfhound. Thanks for posting.

Who do you think are some up and coming builders now? Who sticks out for you?

Darrel
    Facebook - Flickr - Instagram
    Darrel Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub76 View Post
    Rody....that was fun! I had them all except for Wolfhound. Thanks for posting.

Who do you think are some up and coming builders now? Who sticks out for you?

Darrel

I'd say 44 bikes and Firefly. They aren't "new" new but aren't old businesses either. Both have a unique style and stand out for various reasons.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Kris. He's young, has desire, and isn't afraid to do the homework before lighting the torch up. The fact that when you watch Kris's pics and postings it is evident he is having FUN and passing that onto each of his customer's builds, that really affirms that he is on the right track.

The boys at Firefly have sprung off a well established base of experience and have defined their place in the market.

Another young builder who has made a solid effort the last few years, defining his niche in the market and balancing it with a progression in skills is Adam of Stanridge Speed. Adam is eager to learn, wants to make a solid product, and has immersed himself in becoming proficient in the entire process, from design to final paint.

Lets look back in five years and see what these guys have accomplished...looking forward to great things.
    rody
    Rody Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO I would also have to add Nate Zukas. He appears to be turning out some really nice bikes with those thin swooping seat stays and fantastic paint. He manages all this in what seems to be the worlds smallest shop.
    Facebook - Flickr - Instagram
    Darrel Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub76 View Post
    IMO I would also have to add Nate Zukas. He appears to be turning out some really nice bikes with those thin swooping seat stays and fantastic paint. He manages all this in what seems to be the worlds smallest shop.
    Nate was one of the Sunday afternoon "on the porch" speakers at Ballers Ride and that is exactly why we picked him. Nate's unchained enthusiasm and desire to make the product distinctly his own AND the fact he rides like a g-d sealed the deal for me. I'll toss one to Rody for his blessing...Jeff Buchannan. Jeff was invited to Ballers two years ago because he was so new and possessed immense skills in other metal trades. He is a very accomplished gunsmith. I'll wager a case of beer he is turning out some fine bikes in 5 years:
    Flickr: J.D. Buchanan Bicycles