Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: --- oatmeal..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default --- oatmeal..

-- a daily staple of my life for over 66+ years..
    from mom's quaker oats to tammy's steel cut with raisins/nuts &..
    how do you prepare your oatmeal or porridge or?

or just best to stay with our way..

ronnie with oatmeal smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: --- oatmeal..

i've been on the oatmeal kick for a year now ronnie. super easy and healthy even for a master chef like myself.

cheers
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oatmeal is a regular here. Toss in some chia seeds during cooking, then stir in some ground flax and walnuts, top with fruit and yogurt. Want some sweet? Craisins, coconut, dried cherries, dried diced apricots. Enjoy the variation of frozen fruit like blueberries, rasp/blackberries too. Great place to put a banana that snuck past it's favorite level of ripeness as well. You may have gathered, oatmeal (regular or stone cut) is the vehicle for more goodies here. I've seen peanut butter added to oatmeal, that one isn't at the top of my list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please tell me more! This is a breakfast food that I habitually screw up but when done properly I love.

I've tried using the McCann's steel cut oats as a base and it always turns to concrete whether I cook on the stove or in the microwave. On the stove is time consuming. I've heard that you can cook in advance and then rewarm.

Please share your tips and recipes for the base oatmeal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob, for steel cut oats, bring them to a boil at night, then turn the fire off and let them sit in the pot overnight. In the morning all you have to do is warm them up and they'll be cooked perfectly.

I like chopped dates and almonds in mine :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Please tell me more! This is a breakfast food that I habitually screw up but when done properly I love.

I've tried using the McCann's steel cut oats as a base and it always turns to concrete whether I cook on the stove or in the microwave. On the stove is time consuming. I've heard that you can cook in advance and then rewarm.

Please share your tips and recipes for the base oatmeal
    Steel cut microwave for two bowls: 1/2 c oats, 2 c h2o in a very large bowl. Cover with wrap or a plate for the first five minutes, stir and pop back in uncovered for the next five. This is of course based on the power of your micro (ours isn't a megawatt unit but gets the job done). Check for consistency and stir. Adjust the uncovered cook time to find your ideal finish.

I've been going to do a large stovetop or rice cooker batch of steel cut to reheat but haven't yet so no insight there. I do like the steel cut taste best.
    Any of you that have this dialed, please share!

For the old fashioned oats in the micro, 1/2 c oats and a cup of water. Again, wse a bowl large enough so it doesn't boil out. Micro uncovered for 2 1/2-3 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Robert,

I make a whole cup of steel cut oats on the stove and scoop out the leftovers and reheat. I like it but i might be a Philistine. I really prefer Bob's Red Mill over McCann's. McCann's tasted rancid to me even though it's in a light proof container and it was well within the use by date. Maybe it was mishandled by the store, but I had to compost it.

Speedy,
    When I microwave, I adjust the power level so the power cycle goes off right before the bowl overflows. It cools and cooks a little on the off cycle. This way I don't have to pay much attention to it.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    I've been going to do a large stovetop or rice cooker batch of steel cut to reheat but haven't yet so no insight there. I do like the steel cut taste best.
    Any of you that have this dialed, please share!
    I regularly make a vat of McCann's (or similar steel cut oats) using a rice cooker. Add the oats, add water, add some cinnamon and press the go button. Always done perfectly. From there I reheat a bowl and throw in whatever fresh fruit I have around, if any. It's good without the fruit too. Other than the relatively easy cleanup of the rice cooker, this technique averages around a minute of effort per bowl.
    Last edited by Matthew Strongin; 01-19-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added reply to SpeedyChix...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Called porridge where i come from...... use Scots Porridge oats, half water half 1% milk....... missus adds prunes but i have mine naked...... all my life.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Main trick for stovetop cooking steel cut oats is NOT overcooking them and cooking on a low but controlled simmer.

Other than that, they're God's gift to breakfast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I regularly make a vat of McCann's (or similar steel cut oats) using a rice cooker.
    Son of a gun. Never thought of using Mr. Zojirushi for this mission. I wonder if setting it up at night and using the timer works as well for oatmeal as it does for rice.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make it many ways, often what's convenient - Bob's Red Mill quick cooking in microwave with soy milk, agave, a pinch of salt plus/minus raisins is my 2 minute go to for quick/delicious/nutritious. The Bob's costs a bit more than the half ton bulk box Quaker from Costco, but I like it better (cooks up creamier rather than grainy) and Bob's supports the sport with some 'cross sponsorship. When I have the time, steel cut cooked in the pot for a half hour or so. When I think of it the night before, steel cut in a small slow cooker on low. One cup oats, 4 cups water, 1/4 cup maple syrup (the only good thing I ever come back from Battenkill with), some cinnamon - about 4 generous servings waiting when I wake up in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you VSalon for enlightening me. Here's a recipe for those of us who have rice cookers.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » How To Make Oatmeal in A Rice Cooker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most important trick I've learned about oats, grains, or whatever cooked on the stove is the need to let them rest off heat for 5 minutes or more. If I cook them to the consistency I want, by the time I'm at the table all is mastik.

Now I cook over more moderate heat and, for steel-cut oats, after about 25-28 minutes I turn off the heat, shove the pan over a cold burner and throw in a handful of raisins or dried cherries. Then I'll toast up some almonds or pecans, slice fruit, warm up my serving bowls. By the time all that is done, the oats have absorbed the last of the liquid, the raisins have plumped, and the consistency is creamy without being glue.

I do toast the oats in a little butter before adding water to the pot, and add a splash of milk at the table. You could use a drop of peanut oil to toast and almond milk to keep it vegan or lactose free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best I've ever made, and here's how I did it:

1/2 cup McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal
    1 3/4 cup water ( the rice maker manual called for a ration of 1 cup of oats to 2.5 of water. Most recipes I found online and on the side of the oats box called for at least 1:3 or 1:4…..so I winged it because I didn't want it to mushy)
    Pinch of salt
    Sprinkle of cinnamon
    Set timer on rice cooker and go to sleep
    Awake to a nice smell in the kitchen
    Open lid …..looks a little like slop. Give it a stir and it is perfect consistency!
    Taste test and add a teaspoon or so of brown sugar and let it melt in while the cooker was in Warm mode.
    Top with blueberries and toasted almonds

My wife is not an oatmeal fan but she indulged me and ate it. Her first words were "This tastes like something we'd have at a bed and breakfast on vacation." We were both looking for second helpings.

It is so ridiculously easy in the rice cooker there is no reason not to set it up the night before and enjoy in the morning.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    I've seen peanut butter added to oatmeal, that one isn't at the top of my list.
    No peanut butter in my house as my son has an allergy. I've done almond or cashew butter though and with some honey its a solid pre-ride fuel.

I make oatmeal for my infant daughter pretty often but keep them plain. A sprinkle of salt in the water, a splash of vanilla extract, and a dash of cinnamon. I tend to overcook them so I can scoop little balls that she can pick up and feed herself. I'll add whatever fresh fruit we have around and/or some brown sugar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add steel cut oats and boiling water to a wide mouth thermos at night before bed. Wake up to perfectly cooked steaming oats that you just pour out of the thermos into your bowl. Easy and very energy efficient too. You can cook wheat berries the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the stove top, I mix steel cut oats with water (1:4 ratio,) a pinch of salt and a handful (or two,) of dried fruit.
    Bring to a gentle simmer for a couple of minutes, then turn off the heat and let it sit covered for 30-40 minutes. Into the fridge and it's ready to reheat in the morning.

Alternately, the rice cooker works well, too. 2 cups of oats and as much water as my rice cooker can hold, use the porridge setting and let it go.

Try your oatmeal as a savory breakfast: a drizzle of toasted sesame oil and a splash of Sriracha, and a few toasted peanuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel cut oats + quinoa work very well together IMHO... can go sweet (with honey, fruit, jam) or savory (chopped up sausages, beans, avocado, scrambled eggs)... =)

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suhacycles View Post
    Steel cut oats + quinoa work very well together IMHO... can go sweet (with honey, fruit, jam) or savory (chopped up sausages, beans, avocado, scrambled eggs)... =)
    Savory sounds awesome.

Lately, My wife has been chopping up some crystallized ginger in the steel cut oats. It gives a different flavor element which is refreshing when traditional flavors grow tired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast