Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wild Game, again..!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wild Game, again..!

We had a pretty good discussion here last year about venison. I thought it was a great thread.

I feel like we covered that topic pretty well, but would still be interested in some fresh ideas.

I live in an area with no "big" game, and it is hard to come by.
    What say ye? I am thinking moose, elk, bear and such. I would listen to whatever though possum, coon, egret, sandhill crane.

I have been eating some duck lately, and quite a bit of fish. But, damn it man, the neighbor killed a wild hog a couple weeks ago and we made sausage out of it. Shit the bed, that is good stuff.

Also, if you have the resources for getting big game, i would love to get some. I am not talking free, i will pay for the time and what not. I only ask that you know where it came from, or are sure of its provenance.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wild Game, again..!

Duck breast prociutto
    Jugged hare
    Tonno di conigliio
    Duck breast stuffed with figgs
    Pastai helgig

Those are a few of my favorite small game dishes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wild Game, again..!

Winter is for goose lard butter.

If you can get a wild goose, the better, but any goose will do. We'd make this from the Christmas goose, then keep the goose lard butter at the ski house. Come in from a cold day, cut some dark nut bread, smear a wedge of goose lard butter on, sprinkle a dash of salt. When it hits the mouth, you get an explosion of flavor which you wash down with a some Vodka from the freezer... A great winter warmer.

Goose Lard Butter.
    finely chop a yellow onion. (very fine) then saute in a little bit of butter until lightly brown, then add finely chopped apple. You can only add to saute. Over cook and apple turns to apple mush.

Into the browned onion and apple, you pour the melted lard from a roasted goose.
    mix in. Pour into container and place in refrigerator until hardened.

I like a slice of german dark rye bread or pumpernickel or schwarzbrot with nuts.
    It sounds a little over the top, but trust me. The flavor when the goose lard melts on the tongue is amazing.