Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bow ties and (neck)ties

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bow ties and (neck)ties

As I appreciate the sartorial and aesthetic choices made by members of this forum I thought I would pick people's brain about bow ties and (neck) ties.

My job (lawyer) requires that I dress formally at all times and over the years I have built up a good stable of suits. However, the general trend in London and Hong Kong was for suits without ties. In Seoul it is a lot more formal.

So it is time to grow my selection of ties. Whilst I am I'm generally a de-flair, minimal and uncluttered person I have a penchant for something a bit more interesting around the neck. Any suggestions? As with bikes, custom, small run and good back story are attractive to me.

I am wearing one of my favourites right now, a Liberty of London one, so a bad SelCa (self camera) is below

Liberty of London by TomEats, on Flickr
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bow ties and (neck)ties

I like a Robert Talbott tie for the times that I wear one. I pick them up at their outlet store when I am at my mom's place. A big plus for me is that I can get them in extra long length which helps with getting it to sit properly (I'm tall with long torso). Patterns are pretty understated and non-flash, though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chipp grenadines. /thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Chipp grenadines. /thread
    Interesting... the best way to buy them seems to be through a tailor who makes dog products? Chipp 2
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only way, I think. Chipp makes good money on the dog stuff, I guess, but he's an old-line custom tailor too. Like J Press or Andover, but with more flair. Very good stuff. The grenadines are $45 which is a deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also like Otis James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    I also like Otis James
    I really like Otis James now as well...!

Thanks for the suggestions all: Chipp, Talbott and Otis will all be receiving some money.
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For bowties, look online for Seigo in New York or Beau Ties. Seigo are beautiful handmade silk ties from Japan. The material the ties are made from is made by them specifically for their ties.. They make four-in-hand ties and pocket squares also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bowties should be allowed in 4 places only: Capitol Hill (the representative himself and senior staff only), a major classical music concert (performers only), a wedding (only someone else's where you are forced into an usher's/bestman's monkey suit), or at an event with a major Hollywood (or Bollywood, why not) starlet (over 35 years of age) on your arm. Otherwise, you're a dork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    Bowties should be allowed in 4 places only: Capitol Hill (the representative himself and senior staff only), a major classical music concert (performers only), a wedding (only someone else's where you are forced into an usher's/bestman's monkey suit), or at an event with a major Hollywood (or Bollywood, why not) starlet (over 35 years of age) on your arm. Otherwise, you're a dork.
    Or English.

I think you are being a touch American-centric and reflecting the corruption of the American influence on formal dress wear... Button-down shirts... a crime. Back home bow ties ar more common fare, from school to university onwards. However reflecting their regimential (not sure that translates... but army) influence they are a bit stripped and military-esque. I am looking for something more discrete.

For instance my university college's drinking society's formal colours are below. Not subtle.

Trinity Hall crescents by TomEats, on Flickr
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomW View Post
    Or English.

I think you are being a touch American-centric and reflecting the corruption of the American influence on formal dress wear... Button-down shirts... a crime. Back home bow ties ar more common fare, from school to university onwards. However reflecting their regimential (not sure that translates... but army) influence they are a bit stripped and military-esque. I am looking for something more discrete.

For instance my university college's drinking society's formal colours are below. Not subtle.

Trinity Hall crescents by TomEats, on Flickr
    Called out for Amero-centric, OK fair point, I yield to your authority on the matter, Gangnam style. At my commonwealth school we also used the word university without the usual American definite article in front of it. However, I have never and will never use "drinking" and "society" in the same sentence. The line between UK/Euro and foppish is frighteningly blurry to go there from here.
    PS your OP point was the tie, which I could not carry off here in Washington DC. But the suit is the shizzle, and could never be found here in Washington DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, I have never and will never use "drinking" and "society" in the same sentence. The line between UK/Euro and foppish is frighteningly blurry to go there from here.
    PS your OP point was the tie, which I could not carry off here in Washington DC. But the suit is the shizzle, and could never be found here in Washington DC
    Drinking societies are well... very the university I went to. The one for my college was founded in 1609 so at least there is a long history of them/ us being dicks. I find not being foppish is relatively easy as with shorter hair required at work I look like an East European criminal. Very un-foppish.

I haven't been to Washington and am hoping to get on a case sometime which takes me there. Very curious to see the height of New World power and its dress. The suit in the picture is from Moustache in Hong Kong who I have been restocking my wardrobe from. Their style definitely leans towards the foppish or straight out gay I would suppose. Still I love them.

I strangely think that dress sense is more confined in American despite it being newer and refreshed.

Finally Gangnam style, I am actually moving from South Seoul/ Gangnam to the North next year due to that bloody song. PSY is/was pretty awesome and I saw him live just after the song was first released in Korea at his summer party. In which he takes over the old world cup stadium and trains fire hoses and crop springlers on the audience and it goes crazy. However, that song nearly drives me to rash murder every time I hear it.
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomW View Post
    I really like Otis James now as well...!

Thanks for the suggestions all: Chipp, Talbott and Otis will all be receiving some money.
    Check out Forage as well. Good mix of bow ties and neck ties. forage — hello there.

Right up the same alley as that floral number in your original post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Otherwise, you're a dork.
    Though I won't argue the dork part, some days I'm all about a bow tie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanrtaylor View Post
    Check out Forage as well. Good mix of bow ties and neck ties. forage — hello there.

Right up the same alley as that floral number in your original post.
    Nathan - thanks great option. EDIT - actually awesome option. Just ordered 4 bow ties and 2 ties.

One more in case anyone is also looking for some more options Le Noeud Papillon

Australian and very expensive. So the Baum of Bow Ties.
    Tom Walshe