Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BMW 128i thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BMW 128i thoughts?

the last of the bmw's with the vaunted naturally aspirated straight six. i think i'm going to grab one. under 4 grand down and then lease the thing for $300 a month. i'm getting a base model 6 speed manual.

it's kinda stupid looking, but a good size, rear wheel drive and it is made well- anyway. just thought i let you guys know. i think the one the dealer found for me is black and has heated seats which i don't want or need and a sun roof which i also don't want or need....if we can make a base model one in white with the m package for the same money i might order that even if i do have to wait a 6-8 weeks.

i don't know. we'll find out tomorrow.....but i'm pretty much there.

anyway-
    thanks for reading- since i gave my bullitt away i've been car less for six months....might be nice to have a car again.

jerk
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: BMW 128i thoughts?

Folks, mark this day on your calendars...

jerk is asking for an opinion, rather than giving one.

Nice car. Back seat is nearly worthless if that matters to you and it's nearly as heavy as a 3-series. I don't get the point of them. If you can get a good deal go ahead. And if you drive in snow, get real winter tires not the pathetic 'all-seasons' that they might try to sell with the car. They're virtually undriveable in snow as the traction control doesn't allow wheel spin. You're almost dead in the water/snow if you can't turn off the stability/traction control.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a great car. If I were to replace my e36 m3 with a new car I'd go with a 1m if the budget allowed, if not the 128i should be an incredible daily driver with a capable chassis IMO. I would definitely get the base model with a manual and if possible no sunroof to save weight on the top of the car. Oh and about black cars, I'd go white or silver ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Nice car. Back seat is nearly worthless if that matters to you and it's nearly as heavy as a 3-series. I don't get the point of them. If you can get a good deal go ahead. And if you drive in snow, get real winter tires not the pathetic 'all-seasons' that they might try to sell with the car. They're virtually undriveable in snow as the traction control doesn't allow wheel spin. You're almost dead in the water/snow if you can't turn off the stability/traction control.
    I stalled my car on a steep hill in seattle once and I removed the entire ASC (traction control) system from the car! My friends say the new systems are better but I would just turn it off and make sure to have good tires like you said. Good advice. I don't think the base model 1 has an LSD which might make it a pain in the ass in the snow even compared to an M model with more power and a real LSD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for it. Tested a 135i in October? Loaded to the gills, something like $46k, which is insane for a 1-series. I loved it though. Great chassis, and compared to the BRZ that I had been driving the prior two weeks it felt huge inside.

Great steering, great brakes, stiff chassis so they can tune the suspension properly.

RP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah- if i can get a white with the m package for the same price i'll probably order it and wait.....i agree re:black cars. i really like white cars the most and i honestly like the way the n/a six pulls versus the turbo in the 135i. i've had plenty of rear wheel drive cars and know how to handle them in the snow. the thing will be fine.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coolberto hipsterdor View Post
    I think it's a great car. If I were to replace my e36 m3 with a new car I'd go with a 1m if the budget allowed, if not the 128i should be an incredible daily driver with a capable chassis IMO. I would definitely get the base model with a manual and if possible no sunroof to save weight on the top of the car. Oh and about black cars, I'd go white or silver ;)
    I see no reason in the world to ever replace an e36 M3.

I'm intrigued by the 1 series. But for the size, I like the Z coupe. Or I really like the old Z3 based M Coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    the last of the bmw's with the vaunted naturally aspirated straight six. i think i'm going to grab one. under 4 grand down and then lease the thing for $300 a month. i'm getting a base model 6 speed manual.

it's kinda stupid looking, but a good size, rear wheel drive and it is made well- anyway. just thought i let you guys know. i think the one the dealer found for me is black and has heated seats which i don't want or need and a sun roof which i also don't want or need....if we can make a base model one in white with the m package for the same money i might order that even if i do have to wait a 6-8 weeks.

i don't know. we'll find out tomorrow.....but i'm pretty much there.

anyway-
    thanks for reading- since i gave my bullitt away i've been car less for six months....might be nice to have a car again.

jerk
    my brother,

not aware of the "m" performance series in the 128i..
    tammy loves her 328i, i have never driven the car -- beautiful painted white/saddle hide lady car, i still like my ole fart buick reindeer..
    i do like rear wheel drive, both have, and the n/c maintenance/warranty on the bmw, damn -- they got me on that.. no such thing as a free lunch or n/c.. think that frick'n hagen daz ice cream, stale donuts, star-bucks coffee and breakfast bar cost about $100+ a dip, donut or coffee cup.. worth the cost of "do'n business" to keep my lady smile'n & ----... for the ole man..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the m package is bling, springs and a different setting on the speed limiter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet this is a fantastic choice. I had a 335 xi coupe which was great but the stories about the twin turbo engine scared me into selling it. 128 should be no problem. The rear seat on the 3 series folded down and easily fit a bike with front tire removed. Is there room in the 1 series? Color is a personal choice but I think that the shape of that car looks great in black. Hope you really enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    the m package is bling, springs and a different setting on the speed limiter.
    yeah- i know. it's really the seats and the steering wheel i like. i'd throw koni yellows and giant rear sway bar in the thing immediately anyway....the bigger wheels look nice too- but honestly, the smaller wheels are fine- i think i can get falken azenis rt-615s to fit them and i'm never going to drive over 130 mph.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i checked! isp bike fits no problem. the trunk is actually not bad.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Boston, I would want the smaller rim with more rubber just to keep from getting a bent rim in a pothole. I don't think that the street where your Newton store is has seen pavement or pothole repair since I lived back there. Seats and wheel are good reasons to get the trim package if you like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks doods!
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    I see no reason in the world to ever replace an e36 M3.
    I'm not going to unless I have to for some reason :) It only has 100k miles and I'd like to break 200k before gasoline gets too scarce or expensive to daily an ICE car.

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    yeah- i know. it's really the seats and the steering wheel i like. i'd throw koni yellows and giant rear sway bar in the thing immediately anyway....the bigger wheels look nice too- but honestly, the smaller wheels are fine- i think i can get falken azenis rt-615s to fit them and i'm never going to drive over 130 mph.
    There are better tires out now that wear longer than RT-615's as well as having better wet weather traction. Back in my autocrossing days I would burn through a set of azenis in around 10,000 miles but the dunlop star specs I used afterwards lasted a good 50-75% longer. I have hankook ventus v12's now and while they have a bit less grip than star specs they seem to ride and track better. YMMV (ha) and have a blast in the new car man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those things are great but really need an LSD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I owned a 2007 330ix and loved it. I think the 1 series look fantastic. I just got a lift from a guy Iwork with who just bought a new 335i and it is amazing. I still think the BMW 3 series is one of the best handling cars out there...stock.

The guy I teach with will only drive BMW's. His younger brother (a money guy) had his 2012 M3 supercharged and is putting around 600bhp at the crank. Took me for a ride and it was simply jaw dropping.

Myself I want muscle and cubic inches. loud engine, shitty gas milage and a huge V8. I had to sell my charger SRT8 last summer and I loved that thing.

Craig I miss the talk of your bullit, but I understand.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add my vote to the 'go for it' list. I've a basic, manual transmission 328i from 2007 with the 3L straight six - fucking awesome to drive. Stock continental run flats are horrific though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Add my vote to the 'go for it' list. I've a basic, manual transmission 328i from 2007 with the 3L straight six - fucking awesome to drive. Stock continental run flats are horrific though.
    I think I'm convinced to forgoe the m package if only so I don't get those horrible run flat tires. A stripped manual for me. If the one with the moonroof and heated seats in black actually costs less than a custom order I think I'll just do that.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast