Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double-Edge Safety Razor Guidance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Double-Edge Safety Razor Guidance

My son is just over 2 and I shudder at the thought that he may grow up watching me shave circles around my face with a Norelco. So I'm asking Santa for a Double-Edge Safety Razor, and I'm looking for advice on razors, blades, brush etc. I would like modern classic and not too over the top ($); thanks for any tips, suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Double-Edge Safety Razor Guidance

Merkur 180 razor
    Merkur HD blades
    Cheap badger brush
    Proraso Green Tea and Aloe (summer) or Tabac (winter) shaving soap (Cella and Mitchell's Wool Fat are nice too.)

About $75 all in, depending on how much you spend on a brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid Christian thanks so much!

Any places where you recommend I look I'm just getting started. I guess I would start researching each item separately, looking for the best price but if you know of any good online shops let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Solid Christian thanks so much!

Any places where you recommend I look I'm just getting started. I guess I would start researching each item separately, looking for the best price but if you know of any good online shops let me know.
    This is the Mecca and Medina of brush shaving: Badger & Blade - Home
    Second the Merkur. I'm keen for the Futur model, it has the right weight and adjustments. Blades are something you'll have to fiddle with. For me sharper is better and the Japanese made Feathers work great. I'll suggest you score a lightly used high quality badger brush. It's kind of like riding cheap tubulars, they work but the d@mn things ride like garden hose. Why waste your time? Mitchell's Wool Fat soap is what I use for soap.
    Your kid is fortunate to have your insight and patience.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 01-24-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually get my soaps and blades from qedusa (qedusa.com) - about an order every year or so for two soaps and ~30 blades. They have a good stock and deliver quickly. Since it's soaps and blades, those are my only real criteria for assessment.

But I think Too Tall's suggestion of Badger and Blade classifieds for a brush is a solid one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to go new instead of the classifieds, check out westcoastshaving.com or bullgooseshaving.net.

Keep in mind Mitchells is a bitch to lather if you don't have soft water, the proraso (or buy it rebranded as co bigelow) is very easy, great beginner soap. Dr. Harris is a soap cream soap too.

Besides the Merkur, also check out the Edward Jagger DE89 razors, should come out around $35 or so, fantastic value for the money. Definitely get a blade sampler pack.

Check out Boar and Horse hair brushes too. I own all three and hardly ever touch my Badger, I much prefer the boar (a Semogue). It does take a little while to break in, but horse and badger don't have that issue. Still, you can get an Omega boar brush for $12 or so. For horse check out the Via Zurrito from bullgoose.net

Definitely spend some time on Badger and Blade - hold on to your wallet ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go all in and go straight razor. I'm completely sold on the proccess after a couple months of straight razor shaving. Still experimenting with different soaps. Also, I found an old badger brush at the antique store for $12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Go all in and go straight razor. I'm completely sold on the proccess after a couple months of straight razor shaving. Still experimenting with different soaps. Also, I found an old badger brush at the antique store for $12.

Modern safety bicycle is to high wheeler as safety razor is to straight razor. Safety razor seems like a good compromise and was a success in large part because the penalty for shaving while groggy was so much less compared to a straight razor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learned here from the experts and have tried much of what has been recommended. I too have a Merkur Futura I love, though I would prefer a knurled handle as this slips when my hands are wet. I have tried many blades and have settled on the Japanese Feathers.

Note that I have a very thick beard and only shave when I have face to face meetings or video conference calls. this means that the blades I choose need to be able to cut through steel wool and leave me clean and soft as a baby's ass. the Feathers do that well and last a while as well. The Merkur blades lasted longer but had a harder time with heavy growth.

I have settled on the CO Bigelo shaving cream in a tube and dont use a brush. I travel enough that I would end up using this anytime I need a plane anyway, so why go back and forth. This stuff is worth trying even if you prefer a bar/brush.
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a timely thread. 15 min ago my sis handed me a box with a Merkur and a huge assortment of blades for my birthday.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaronv View Post
    Modern safety bicycle is to high wheeler as safety razor is to straight razor.
    If you want to use a bicycle analogy, maybe try: Scooter is to bicycle as safety razor is to straight razor.

Yes, it is scary when holding the blade to your face for the first time, but ultimately it just comes down to spending more time with the morning ritual. I have bled far less (one nick so far) in the past two months of straight razor shaving than the previous two months of disposable cartridge shaving (incessant razor burn and bumps).

But to each his own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merkur is the razor. I like Feather blades. If you look around you can find blade assortments so you can find out what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My partner got me a Merkur with a bunch of accessories from Lee's Razors a while back. Lee was very helpful. Very satisfied overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    My partner got me a Merkur with a bunch of accessories from Lee's Razors a while back. Lee was very helpful. Very satisfied overall.
    In Canada, check out ItalianBarber.com - great service and they produce the Razorock line, which has some fantastic soaps at great prices (some of my favorites from them are the XXX, Classic and the Third Eye soaps).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    If you want to use a bicycle analogy, maybe try: Scooter is to bicycle as safety razor is to straight razor.

Yes, it is scary when holding the blade to your face for the first time, but ultimately it just comes down to spending more time with the morning ritual. I have bled far less (one nick so far) in the past two months of straight razor shaving than the previous two months of disposable cartridge shaving (incessant razor burn and bumps).

But to each his own.

A straight razor will give you the best shave because of the length of the blade the ability to keep a very sharp edge on them. It also carries some risks as it is a long, very sharp blade. Don't drop it on your foot, no shaving while hung-over, etc. Disposable cartridges are expensive and often have inferior blades. It is almost as if they were designed so you need to buy them more frequently ;). I see only disadvantages with the cartridge system. I think the safety razor was a big improvement over the straight razor in terms of safety, shaving nicks with a straight razor can turn into a serious injury. A nice handle, like a Merkur with some quality blades seems to be a good starting point to move away from electrics and cartridge. If you want to go the straight razor route just make sure you understand the reasons why they are not commonly used for day to day shaving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the disadvantages of a safety razor? In my mind the hierarchy goes: disposable razor > 5-blade razors and all cronies > electric > safety razor. Not sure where you put straight blade I guess at the extreme right but are there other, possibly better options to consider?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a Merkur something or another long handle razor w/ Merkur blades.
    hand-thrown ceramic bowl: Hand Thrown Lather Bowl, Green
    and a lower end brush that's OK, will be upgraded when it's dead.
    C.O. Bigelow cream

west coast shaving is a good company to support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    What are the disadvantages of a safety razor? In my mind the hierarchy goes: disposable razor > 5-blade razors and all cronies > electric > safety razor. Not sure where you put straight blade I guess at the extreme right but are there other, possibly better options to consider?
    Better, none.

Disadvantages: takes a bit more time, there's a learning curve (not as idiot proof).

Advantages: more fun, "zen" time to yourself, waaaay better shave, avoids/resolves skin issues for some (better soaps, alum, etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disadvantages, relative to cartridge razors, for me, is that it takes about 30 seconds to a minute longer to work up the lather, etc.
    Advantages is really just one - it gives a cleaner shave with less irritation. Oh, and it's cheaper, but saving $20/year doesn't really get me all worked up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been known to make mistakes from time to time.

Knowing that, a strait razor seems to be setting the bar a bit high. A mistake with my safety razor is a pain, I bleed for a while, sometimes scab and people know that I made that mistake. I am pretty careful however and mistakes are few. It is worth it. But the cost of a mistake with that long sharp blade of a strait razor seems to costly. I do shave in a hurry sometimes, I try not to, attempt to plan to take all the time needed, but no strait razors for me.

That said; if you can be reasonably careful, there is no downside to safety razors. If you go fast it will do an OK job, take your time, and I have never seen anything better than those results. My few experiences being shaved by an expert with a strait razor were no better than I can do myself with a safety razor, just by taking a little bit of time.
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast