Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Town to live in Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Town to live in Suggestions

I am nearing the end of a year long trip through south america with my girlfriend, and we are looking at options for where we want to live when we get back to the states. Before we left we were living in Seattle, but would like to move someplace with better weather (more sunny days please) that is smaller with better mountain access. I grew up in the east and strongly prefer the large open areas, lower population density and climate of the mountain west over anything the northeast has to offer
    We would like to be within riding distance of good mtb trails and a short drive (less than an hour) to big epic rides. For winter, in town skiing would be great, but we would settle for a short drive to great backcountry skiing, especially if we can skate ski in town.
    We would like a town with a decent community of intelligent people, ideally overlapping with the outdoor community, and it seems like we would be most likely to find this in a university town of some sort. I don't care much about city amenities, but a decent music scene would be nice to have, again more likely in a university town, as well as some decent asian restaurants (we love thai and indian food).
    Job wise, my background is as a ME in medical devices, and she is an economist that worked for an accounting company. We are both looking at career changes that would allow more flexibility to do things that are fun, and willing to accept lower pay in exchange for this. That said, some sort of industry would make getting by easier, and we don't want to be working as servers or retail.
    Current thoughts are Missoula and Bozeman, MT and Durango, Boulder, or Ft Collins, CO. I am looking for input from people who live these places or who live other places that seem like a good fit for our criteria.

Last unauthorized plug, we are selling a truck camper in SA to come back to the states if anyone is interested in a trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Town to live in Suggestions

I hear good things about Eugene, OR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You won't hit on all your points on your wish list. With that in mind, think about Austin Texas. It's like a cool place, only with real jobs. And a business friendly climate that attracts good jobs, or is helpful if you want to start your own buiness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asheville ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be a good read.
    Missoula, pricy real estate, not a great job market, fun funky town. Great cycling town.

Spokane, Not as "cool" as Missoula, bigger city, city vibe, better jobs, way cheaper realestate. Nice Sports scene.

Bluegene and PDX much the same weather as Seattle. I like both those town better than Seattle.

Bend is a great little town, plenty of fitness, not too bad real estate. Not too bright of job outlook.

Ft. Collins, My next stop to check out. Just met a guy from there and he says good real estate price, lots of sport. He thinks jobs aren't too bad

Durango and Boulder are very expensive. Boulder has jobs, not so much Durango.

Garro should pimp in Flagstaff. Not too sure what employment is but it is a pretty neat town.

I think Salt Lake City is a great town for ski bums and cyclists. Kind of big though. Sort of like Denver big.

Going South I have always been a sucker for Asheville and Boone, NC. Almost moved to Asheville 20 years ago but the $s didn't add up for me.

Come on folks find us a new place to live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eugene is nice, but no more sunny than Seattle during the 9 month gloom.

Bend is where its at - high desert, lots of sun, insane recreation, outstanding beer, but like Moke says, you better have a job plan b/c the economy runs on tourism. Lots of crappy jobs - I remember a few years ago, the estimate was that in 2015 the median income would be around 28k/y.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the down south suggestions, if I had to choose skiing or cycling, I would likely choose skiing, so no snowy mountains is a no go.

Anyone actually live in Spokane? I have been there a few times to race mtbs, but don't know much else about the area.

I also realize, that most of the places I will want to live will be expensive with shitty job markets, so I am just trying to find the best compromise. We plan on spending a few months checking places out before we make a final decision, timing dependent on money, hopefully we can find temp or contract type jobs to fund this plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Drunkcyclist crew would probably recommend Flagstaff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post

Garro should pimp in Flagstaff. Not too sure what employment is but it is a pretty neat town.

Come on folks find us a new place to live.
    Flag has all that and more.
    The winters can be on & off, but the winter riding in Sedona and boating make up for it if it is. Some winters it hella-dumps, however........

Jobs - oh, boy.
    people are not just giving away jobs, esp. right now.
    You never know. I think attitude is everything.

Where really fits your discription esp. with the skate skiing is Sun Valley. I like Hailey allot.

Tucson is cool and has skiing.................sometimes.

Believe it or not, Reno.

Fanta Se, NM.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have lived in Seattle, Bozeman, Missoula, Coeur d'Alene (Spokane) and now Austin. My favorite was Bozeman by a long shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add Steamboat Springs, CO to the list. Great ski and cycling town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Durango, it's a small town 15,000 people with epic MTB and road rides from your door, you can be at 10,000 ft. on your road bike in 35 miles and less on your mountain bike. There is skiing at Purgatory 25 mi. north, Wolf Creek 1 hr. to the east and Telluride is 2 1/2 hours away and of course there is there is plenty of back country available. When there is enough snow, (most years) you can skate ski in town.

The major industry here is tourism and the job market reflects that, it seem that most people come to Durango to live here and take whatever job they can find once they arrive. But it is a small town and I find a real sense of community here, you know your neighbors and locals wave and say hi when you walk down the street. There is a small College, Fort Lewis but it doesn't feel like some other college towns that I've lived in. If you get to Durango, look me up and I wil be happy to give you the tour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no mountains around Minneapolis, but it probably has the country's best in-town skate skiing. Lots of medical device companies and other good jobs, too.

It's not at all epic, but it's a nice place on a number of levels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    On the down south suggestions, if I had to choose skiing or cycling, I would likely choose skiing, so no snowy mountains is a no go.

Anyone actually live in Spokane? I have been there a few times to race mtbs, but don't know much else about the area.

I also realize, that most of the places I will want to live will be expensive with shitty job markets, so I am just trying to find the best compromise. We plan on spending a few months checking places out before we make a final decision, timing dependent on money, hopefully we can find temp or contract type jobs to fund this plan.
    PM Dave Thompson as he lives in Spokane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sailor,

We went through this same exercise a little over 10 years ago and ended up in Austin due to the job market and proximity to family. However, we still dream of Mid-Coast California (SLO-ish) or Marin, Bend, or Boulder. With your medical device background, you may want to check out a company called GHX. They're a healthcare procurement organization that has an implantable device supply chain group. They're based in Louisville which is right outside of Boulder.

I'd love to hear more about your SAmerica travels. My brother is in Santiago this week and I'm extremely jealous.

Good luck with your search!

Texbike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post

I've only been to SLC as a visitor -- at least once a year for skiing, and sometimes twice -- but I like it. It's not a college town, and doesn't feel like one, but it does have a good sized university, surprisingly lively offerings for a mid-sized city, including, as you asked about Asian food, some very good sushi and thai food (go figure), and it's not very expensive. May have better job opportunities than many mountain towns. And, FWIW, I have neither ties to nor interest in the LDS offerings, not that I mean any offense to those who do. Skiing is kind of awesome -- Alta is my favorite. Ogden might be an alternative worth a look, as its smaller, less expensive, also has the college thing, and its own skiing (and also just pretty darn close to SLC). Plus SLC has the Interstate and a significant airport, so it's easy to travel.

I like New Mexico quite a bit -- decent skiing in a few places, and really good skiing at Taos, but I don't know what the job situation might be like, and Taos might be tougher in that regard than Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Durango and Bend would be on my short list if there were any kind of metal fab job market in either town. Unfortunately, there isn't so I'm looking at Denver.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to you coming back bro! I haven't forgotten about your offer to crew a 505 for me...

I'd think about Wenatchee. In fact, we were ready to move there two years ago. Hot in the summer with great road and mtb riding. In winter you're very close to great skating and as much backcountry as you can stomach.

The new mountain bike series in Washington has races all along the Cascade crest, so Wenatchee is a quick drive to any of them. I doubt Soundgarden will play Wenatchee, but with all the bars, wineries, tasting rooms, restaurants, and neighborhood festivals that seem to keep Wenatchee, Leavenworth, Cashmere, Peshastin, and Chelan (another awesome idea!!) afloat, I have to think the music scene out there is more vibrant than we think.

I really like it out there. You two should move there and get a place with a guest room and bike storage. I'll bring beer.

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll throw another vote in the hat for Santa Fe, or even Albuquerque. Sunny all year round but still has seasons (80F today), nice people, good food, low cost of living and as a ME there's always the Labs out here job wise. Riding is great both for road and mtb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you dont mind winter, you might look at Anchorage, hit many of your wants. In-town network of skate-ski trails is absolutely best in the country and access to wilderness is fantastic. I left Austin, town of my collage years for Anchorage a decade ago and have never regretted the move.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast