Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NE Coastal Road Trip : Suggestions welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NE Coastal Road Trip : Suggestions welcome

I'm taking Queen for a surprise road trip to the upper NE coast, USA. We start driving from BOS and head directly to the coast and explore.
    We are fairly reconstructed people and don't need a precise plan per se. We will stop at every fetching lobster shack and will ABSOLUTELY jump in freezing waters at every opportunity wherever we find a private beach (we will have wet suit tops). No bikes, just running shoes and a pair of clean jeans ;)

I'm thinking about driving straight for Halifax first day and find a hotel than walk around and be slobs. After that perhaps Cape Breton next day than PEI after that?
    Be bold, plan my life!
    Oct 4 - travel day
    Oct 5 -
    Oct 6 -
    Oct 7 -
    Oct 8 - (return to BOS by noon time)
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-21-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NE Coastal Road Trip : Suggestions welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm taking Queen for a surprise road trip to the upper NE coast, USA. We start driving from BOS and head directly to the coast and explore.
    We are very unreconstructed people and don't have to have a precise plan per se. We will stop at every clam shack and will ABSOLUTELY jump in freezing waters at every opportunity wherever we find a private beach (we will have wet suit tops). No bikes, just running shoes and a pair of clean jeans ;)

I'm thinking about driving straight for Halifax first day and find a hotel than walk around and be slobs. After that perhaps Cape Breton next day than PEI after that?
    Be bold, plan my life!
    Oct 4 - travel day
    Oct 5 -
    Oct 6 -
    Oct 7 -
    Oct 8 - (return to BOS by noon time)
    That's a pretty aggressive schedule for a 4-day trip! As far as hitting clam shacks, I suggest the Clam Box in Ipswich, Ma. >> Clam Box of Ipswich MA, North of Boston Restaurant, Fried Clams
    Even at this time of year, lines may be long, so I also suggest Woodman's >> New England Lobsters - Steamed Clams | Woodman's

Save your appetites when you get off the plane at Logan and head up to the North Shore to either one of those spots.

Ther are plenty of spots to jump in some cold water..one of the nicets is perpahp too close for you since you intend to drive straight up to NS...but Folly's Cove in Gloucester is really nice. Private, scenic, and uncrowded. It's not a sand beach, but rather large granite slabs that flow don right into the water. Whne you jump in, the water is already about 4 feet deep. You have to hike don through an old graveyard to get there, and parking can be somewhat tricky. Drive to the back of the cemetary and park in one of the pine groves. The beach is located just west of Halibut Point. Easy to locate the egenarl area, and any local can give you the finer points if you get stymied. http://www.ecdivers.com/index.php/we...gloucester-ma/

You'll easily be able to find plenty to look at and things to do in Halifax and Cape Breton. I might suggest skipping PEI or you may spend the majority of your time in the car. Which boat are you thinking about taking? The CAT from Portland takes ~3-5 hours depending and is $$$, but can be a lot of fun in it's own right. If you are driving the whole way, then you'll leave the coastline somewhere around Portland, Maine...otherwise expect a looong drive as you hug the Maine shoreline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd hit bar harbor and maybe stay in acadia nat'l park. from the looks of it, you have three days to enjoy in a location or locations. you could do worse than spending three days kayaking, riding, and swimming in acadia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to like tandemns, so a sea kayak built for two in PEI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT - there is only one place on the east coast to eat lobster in the rough and thats 5 islands lobster co in georgetown, me. its a beautiful harbor, you will eat on the working lobster dock, you can bring yer own booze, and yup, you can launch yer carcass off the dock, there's a ladder, i've done it many times. trust me. here is a link, Fresh Lobster Georgetown Maine | Five Islands Lobster Co. and i'm sorry the travel channel piece looks like an advert but thats their job i guess. this place is out in the middle of nowhere and i mean it. it will be virtually void of people in early october. hell, get in touch and i'll deliver the beer myself! reid state park is right up the road (beaches), as is my favorite hangout-the osprey restaurant at robinhood marina/riggs cove. georgetown gets tourists, but is absolutely not a tourist trap maine destination ie: freeport, boothbay, etc...if yer looking for a word of mouth sailing charter type arrangement on a very salty 45' blue water boat w/a pot smoking big wave/wind hunting captain, hell, let me know and i'll talk to my guy.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monhegan this time of year might as well be another planet. I'd go there.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toots - TLD and I did the Maritimes trip from Chester three times and budgeted 12 days at least. You list three days that are bookend-ed by driving to and from the starting point. From my perspective, that would rule out Cape Breton (been there twice) and PEI (three times) owing to the distances. Also, Halifax as a city, really amazed me. I have never been near one where the police reports on the radio news went on longer than three weather reports strung together. If you want some charm without all the auto-time, maybe consider two day in Saint John, N.B. It is a city, though small, and it has a great Hilton as well as many other places to stay and to dine. The place is full of history, culture, and good haunts. When we drove up to Cape Breton we always made it to Saint John on day one and used it as our first overnight atmo. PS all things being equal, Charlottetown on PEI was one of my favorite places for this time of the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    TT - there is only one place on the east coast to eat lobster in the rough and thats 5 islands lobster co in georgetown, me. its a beautiful harbor, you will eat on the working lobster dock, you can bring yer own booze, and yup, you can launch yer carcass off the dock, there's a ladder, i've done it many times. trust me. here is a link, Fresh Lobster Georgetown Maine | Five Islands Lobster Co. and i'm sorry the travel channel piece looks like an advert but thats their job i guess. this place is out in the middle of nowhere and i mean it. it will be virtually void of people in early october. hell, get in touch and i'll deliver the beer myself! reid state park is right up the road (beaches), as is my favorite hangout-the osprey restaurant at robinhood marina/riggs cove. georgetown gets tourists, but is absolutely not a tourist trap maine destination ie: freeport, boothbay, etc...if yer looking for a word of mouth sailing charter type arrangement on a very salty 45' blue water boat w/a pot smoking big wave/wind hunting captain, hell, let me know and i'll talk to my guy.
    hes right about this.
    tt
    too much driving for a few days.
    hit cape ann north of boston for a night.. hike on dogtown and along the coast there.
    drive up to 5 islands in me for a night or 2.
    s

mt desert will be an easy 6+hr drive.
    its nice for sure though.

if you wanna go to ns you can take a ferry from portland, me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suddenly, I've decided that my next vacation with my wife will be Maine, a la Mike. Sounds fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real adventures can't begin until you get out of the car. Ditto those who have said you might be overreaching geographically.

I'd stick to Maine and take the local route. In the past I've exited I-295 and gotten on Route 1 in Brunswick. You pass through some really cool funky towns.

Bar Harbor as a town really did not impress. Tourist trap. Decent food. Mt. Desert / Acadia is incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head to Deer Isle, ME and have dinner at the Whale's Rib Tavern. It's not as far as Acadia and just gorgeous. Have always wanted to go there this time of year but am limited by my teaching schedule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll defer to others except to say that Acadia is indeed incredible and worth the offseason walks/hikes.
    There's soo many neat little nooks and crannies in that part of the country that it's easy enough to find your own oasis.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check and double check. I'm scaling back the miles considerably. MaineMike I love you in the most manly way...great stuff. We intend to get wet and drunk and stuffed.

Keep pitching, I'm taking notes. Queen might marry me again after she finds out the schedule ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Tall --
    If you are scaling back from going all the way to Canada, and have time for a city, Portland is not to be missed. A great culinary town - don't miss Fore Street as an amazing dining experience. Pricey but well worth it. It may be too late to get in, as I think they are always crowded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out this thread on Portland:

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...tml#post318669

Also, Fore Street's webpage: http://www.forestreet.biz/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you go to portland: swing by jay's oyster and grab a bunch of lobster rolls to go. then get on this freaking boat: Portland, Maine Windjammer Sailing Cruises and Private Charters
    sooooo, infinitely much cooler than the other schooners in the harbor. all steel, no motor, dance floor like deck, zero of that weird pretentious vibe that pervades so many schooner co's, if you know what i mean. read the tribute on the site and let me know if yer going, i'll put a good word in for you. camden is fun, you can hike mt batty, sail on a schooner, swim in freezing water, and eat good eats: oysters at the waterfront restaurant, anything at natalies or francines. i could go on...my m.o. is generally: go somewhere very pretty and uncrowded during the day, then have good eats and fun at night if you aint sleeping on a boat under the stars. 2 more words: sewall beach (phippsburg, me). just do it.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you go to portland: swing by jay's oyster and grab a bunch of lobster rolls to go. then get on this freaking boat: Portland, Maine Windjammer Sailing Cruises and Private Charters
    sooooo, infinitely much cooler than the other schooners in the harbor. all steel, no motor, dance floor like deck, zero of that weird pretentious vibe that pervades so many schooner co's, if you know what i mean. read the tribute on the site and let me know if yer going, i'll put a good word in for you. camden is fun, you can hike mt batty, sail on a schooner, swim in freezing water, and eat good eats: oysters at the waterfront restaurant, anything at natalies or francines. i could go on...my m.o. is generally: go somewhere very pretty and uncrowded during the day, then have good eats and fun at night if you aint sleeping on a boat under the stars. 2 more words: sewall beach (phippsburg, me). just do it.
    Mike, I got goosebumps reading about the boat...I do believe we are "in". Hahaha tell cap I've steered Chesapeake bay log canoes to Skipjacks but never a "big" boat ;) It is very cool. I hate motors. Said it can't take it back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Mike, I got goosebumps reading about the boat...I do believe we are "in". Hahaha tell cap I've steered Chesapeake bay log canoes to Skipjacks but never a "big" boat ;) It is very cool. I hate motors. Said it can't take it back.

Expect empty engine bays in the pickup and Chevy II when you get home. You can roll flintstone style. Volvo gets a pass. I don't provoke the Queen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Expect empty engine bays in the pickup and Chevy II when you get home. You can roll flintstone style. Volvo gets a pass. I don't provoke the Queen.
    The poodle is a fair shot. Knock twice. Keys are in the ignition. Anything for my island kine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dogtown is an incrediible area and worth wandering around. Serious history in there.
    Clam Box in Ipswich, Ma. is the spot for fried clams. Their lobster rolls are good too.
    Take a stop at Plum Island and head to the south end of the reservation. This time of year it'll be just you on the beach. Miles to walk. Few birders along the salt marshes. Hop on up to Brunswick ME, stop for a seriously wonderful gelato (30+interesting flavors, The Gelato Fiasco: Artisanal Gelato Made Fresh Daily in Brunswick, Maine). Then up to mainemikes goodness.
    Treat that gal right.
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast