Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'm loving soft lobster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm loving soft lobster

I just got back from a week in Maine. There I had soft lobster, regular lobsters that have just molted, for the first time. The flesh is sweeter and more tender than the regular hard lobsters. It's also cheaper ($4.50/lb vs $6/lb for the hard). It's only drawback is that it is really messy to eat. The lobster contains a lot of water in it and our hands got dirty up to the wrists. We also managed to splatter everyone around the table with lobster juice. I've never seen soft lobster for sale anywhere but Maine, but if you're there it's worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: I'm loving soft lobster

"Shedders"

Made some lobster ravioli with them (and their friends corn & chorizo) last week...another perk of New England in the early fall!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is NOTHING better than a simply made softshell chesapeak bay blue crabs fried crisp in EVO+butter with salt and pepper. I can not imagine how good the lobsters must be. You mean to tell me they boil them? Heck, I'd split them down the middle and pan fry the devils. We are headed to VT and Maine this fall for a little visit to Mr. Gary Smith and a backroads tour...now I have a food destiny as well. Chapeau.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shell was still pretty tough uncooked and it toughened up pretty good after cooking. I don't think you could eat it. We steamed our lobsters.

We bought some really fresh scallops in Eastport which I did eat raw, sliced like sushi, and that was pretty good.

If you are in DownEast Maine, Coastal Highway 1 is a really nice ride. From Calais to Ellsworth, its ~100 miles of rollers. No flats to speak of. No epic climbs but if you like hilltop sprints, this is your ride. A gravel-free shoulder was there most of the time and Maine drivers were pretty considerate too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    There is NOTHING better than a simply made softshell chesapeak bay blue crabs fried crisp in EVO+butter with salt and pepper. I can not imagine how good the lobsters must be. You mean to tell me they boil them? Heck, I'd split them down the middle and pan fry the devils. We are headed to VT and Maine this fall for a little visit to Mr. Gary Smith and a backroads tour...now I have a food destiny as well. Chapeau.
    Just sayin'....If you’re eating crabs on the Chesapeake in the off-season, chances are they didn’t swim in the water you’re looking at, but came from the Gulf of Mexico.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YO!!!

Just sayin'....If you’re eating crabs on the Chesapeake in the off-season, chances are they didn’t swim in the water you’re looking at, but came from the Gulf of Mexico.
    Offseason? It is the ON season for local crabs still. Thank you global warming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had them for the first time on Mt. desert Island, Maine a few weeks ago, Best lobster I have ever eaten, by far, no comparison.

Only the local places sem to have them. GO TO THURMUNDS LOBSTER HOUSE IF YOU ARE THERE ON THE ISLAND. Nothing fancy, just the best lobster you ever ate in a place where the locals go.

Also while you are there, the loop road through the national park is a nice 25 mile road with 1/2 of it being one direction only and fairly quiet.
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YO!!! View Post
    And if you're eating MD crabcakes at any local restaurant in the entire DC region, it's most likely crab from Asia. WashPo just did an article on it this summer.

But back to Lobsta. My grandparents had a summer place up there and I used to spend a couple weeks up there every year. I still miss the smell of the ocean and how sweet the lobster meat is when it was just pulled out of the water that morning.