User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Weekday training: Random Hills and Hip Strength 1.5 - 2 hrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Weekday training: Random Hills and Hip Strength 1.5 - 2 hrs.

What I'm relating here is strictly personal, this is how I train.
    Random hills are my internal call sign for 1.5 to 2 hrs. of random 2 to 3 min. long hills ~ 4 to 6% grade.
    - 30 mins of supplese riding
    - Random Hill done well above threshold, as hard as I can ride, reach the top and "recover" by resuming fast low force peddling until the next hill. My goal is to get about 6 of these done.
    - Hip Strength is done on long shallow hills, longer the better. Stand and ride at 80 rpms in a heavy gear varying your height above the saddle and fore / aft position to engage front/back of legs and glutes. When you are gassed sit!
    - Remainder and all other riding done at 110 rpms + low force.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Weekday training: Random Hills and Hip Strength 1.5 - 2 hrs.

my brother showed me a related drill:

long, shallow hill, push as big a gear as possible with your hands resting lightly on the bars and focus on the entire pedaling cycle. iow, do not engage the bars or pull. repeat, do only when legs are fresh.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “Maybe chairs shouldn’t be comfortable. At some point, you want your guests to leave.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds suspiciously like interval training. Is it fair to call it that? Obviously, the distances between hills, length of hills, etc., varies, so it's not as exacting as 2 mins on/3 mins off. Or do you still do intervals in addition to this? There are a few long, shallow climbs on some of my routes; I tend to do my intervals (when I do them) on these hills, keeping the cadence up, my thinking being that a) I'm getting my intervals done and b) it's helping my climbing just a bit and c) it makes the climb go faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    my brother showed me a related drill:

long, shallow hill, push as big a gear as possible with your hands resting lightly on the bars and focus on the entire pedaling cycle. iow, do not engage the bars or pull. repeat, do only when legs are fresh.
    this is my Thursday cocktail happy hour
    upper body as still as possible
    big big legs at the end of these - but smooths so much out in the wash
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toots,

Here there aren't so many short climbs as there are 3-5 milers. So the question to you is are you aiming for a certain amount of recovery (time) between grinds. Is it possible to have too much in between before reaching the "next hill?"

I dig the "by feel" description of the routine but sometimes what I feel ≠ what I should do.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Toots,

Here there aren't so many short climbs as there are 3-5 milers. So the question to you is are you aiming for a certain amount of recovery (time) between grinds. Is it possible to have too much in between before reaching the "next hill?"

I dig the "by feel" description of the routine but sometimes what I feel ≠ what I should do.
    I'm not doing "intervals" per se this is VO2 and strength which is my drug of choice weekdays mostly. I did intervals for so many years that the thought of doing structured intervals makes my left eye twitch and I puke a little at the mere mention ;) Ouch. Kidding...I do structured intervals like the rest of us. If I lived where you are and my only choice was 3-5 mile hills I'd change my routines to fit the terrain. If you wanted to do the workouts I've just described you are correct that I go for complete recovery between each....take as long as you want....keep in mind this is a 1.5'ish hours long workout so we are after "quality" yo not slogging around and burning up a few hills. Get it and get out. Make it count.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this. I have no science whatsoever when it comes to training. I need this sort of thing to make me feel like less of an idiot savant (emphasis on idiot.)

Stupid questions. What is supplese riding?

How does one figure threshold without any power meter etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Thanks for this.
    Stupid questions. What is supplese riding?
    speaking of idiots, i'll wade in.

as i unnerstand it, supplese is the ability to pedal the bicycle in such a way as to not upset the svelte efficiency inherent in the machine and your fitment to it.

ever see a gal in a beautiful dress (and more makeup than she's used to) stagger and clomp around because she has little "sole time" in heels? (this usually coincides with prom and over-ambitious wedding parties)

it's the opposite of that.

it's the act of making the pedals appear to go 'round with little effort, no matter the load or cadence.

no clomping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

J44ke - Supplease is not entirely a recovery ride. Generally, out for 1.5 to 2 hrs. fast rpms is key. Find a way to be comfortable spinning fast and using low force. This is not a recovery ride and it is not hard work. Stay away from idiots who can't control themselves ;)

How to find your threshold without a powermeter. Wow, dewd. There is so much out there to read and learn from are you sure you want to know? Let me know and I'll abide but I'll prob. come crack your head if you are not prepared to do the work ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    J44ke - Supplease is not entirely a recovery ride. Generally, out for 1.5 to 2 hrs. fast rpms is key. Find a way to be comfortable spinning fast and using low force. This is not a recovery ride and it is not hard work. Stay away from idiots who can't control themselves ;)

How to find your threshold without a powermeter. Wow, dewd. There is so much out there to read and learn from are you sure you want to know? Let me know and I'll abide but I'll prob. come crack your head if you are not prepared to do the work ;)
    I take the hint. I'll do some research and come back here if I have questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, i still like my definition-derived from all the training advice i ever read 'bout running fixed for the base miles.

I lucked into a deal on a second-hand, old model powertap wheel(set). Changed everything. If you want to get faster, I say get the power, screw the aero wheels and the TT bike, get a power-measuring-device. It gives you real-time, real data and also opens up the world of coach-by-wire. I use my power profile to know about where i fit into the ranks of racers-powerwise. NO need for strava-ing around like a tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    Hey, i still like my definition-derived from all the training advice i ever read 'bout running fixed for the base miles.

I lucked into a deal on a second-hand, old model powertap wheel(set). Changed everything. If you want to get faster, I say get the power, screw the aero wheels and the TT bike, get a power-measuring-device. It gives you real-time, real data and also opens up the world of coach-by-wire. I use my power profile to know about where i fit into the ranks of racers-powerwise. NO need for strava-ing around like a tool.
    True that. When my guys upload power data using a Garmin it is very useful to match terrain/speed/power with the drill(s) I gave. Way way good for the coach / athlete feedback.

That said, I have no problem coaching without a powermeter...it just takes more 'splainin. After all these years of coaching I'm firmly convinced that the athletes who really want to do the work get the best out of me either way. If you lack motivation no device is gonna save you ;)