Likes Likes:  0

Thread: machinist book suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default machinist book suggestions

Does anyone have any books they can suggest for machinist. I am looking for something not to expensive that talks about basic procedures and tooling used, something to get me started. I recently got a very small horizontal mill ( barker mill) its size and type will have limitations, but I want to make the occasional thing when I can.
    Sam Markovich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: machinist book suggestions

I enjoyed these: Books - General

Also sign up for the MSC Metalworking flyers. It'll give you an idea what tooling you might want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    Does anyone have any books they can suggest for machinist. I am looking for something not to expensive that talks about basic procedures and tooling used, something to get me started. I recently got a very small horizontal mill ( barker mill) its size and type will have limitations, but I want to make the occasional thing when I can.

Machinerys handbook??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Youtube is your friend.

once you narrow down something you are interested in and watch it you will have more words, once you have words you can google them. This will probabally lead you to practical machinst forums . those guys will know where to point you.

Fun stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some lathe centric PDF's here WEWilliams - South Bend Lathe Library

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys gives me some stuff to check out
    Sam Markovich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the south bend manual very good. Video is however much more useful.

Smartflix rents videos. Anything by Rudy Kahoupt, is worth a look, though like learning from granddad, I'm OK with that. In particular he has a tape on horizontals. He is awful slow getting going, video for him does not mean he should not do a 30 minute stand-up intro. But I am all about the info, I don't care about the presentation, not if I want it badly enough.

There are some multi tape sets on the vertical mill, and the lathe that are also excellent. Since you pay by the tape, they can get expensive.

Another good source are the Framebuilders tapes by Tim Paterek. He is machinist oriented in the way he does stuff. One of his tapes is based on machines, and the other is based on hand techniques. I forget which, though it would make more sense to machine for brazing than lugs... He uses a vertical mill though, so you would need to adapt his techniques slightly for a horizontal.

Also, look on the net for Anvil Bikes fixtures and such. There are a lot of pics of his stuff being used on horizontals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Many mills have a user's group either on Practical machinist, or Yahoo. That is a great reference for your specific machine.

- Mills tend to be used either to make parts or cut out tube miters. For the former look at youtube, and video, for the later, break it down, it tends to be a much more specific set-up.

- To do miters, you need say a Paragon arbor to mount a Starrett hole saw. The you need something to grip the tube, and some way to orient it. Then you may need a fixture to stand it off to get it in front of the cutter. Then you need to know how you get your tool lined up for the cut. Tim's paper method or standard indicating in are ways to go. Then you need to know what RPMs, and then you should be able to make the cut. Lubricate the cutter while it is running. Use sharp tooling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I found this fellow on Youtube very thorough for basics on the mill: 'Tubalcain' Machine Basics
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This doesn't really answer the OP's question, but I'll throw it out there because it may be helpful to some. The Professional Machine Shop course by Darrell Holland is excellent, in my opinion.

One set covers the mill, SmartFlix, the Web's Biggest How-To DVD Rental Store
    the other covers the lathe, SmartFlix, the Web's Biggest How-To DVD Rental Store

Expensive, to rent or buy, but very comprehensive. I really liked his teaching style. His humor is on the dry side and for me, he was the old school, slightly grumpy shop teacher that I never had.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darrell's are the vids I was referring to. They are excellent. +1.

One thing about the lathe presentation though, is that it is shot in a classroom setting, that for them involves watching the teacher work the lathe through a mirror. Rather than position a camera in the correct place, they shoot it backwards through a mirror. Not going to bother most people, but there are those for whom that is extremely difficult. Just a heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for all the suggestions. the shop trade secretes that crumton suggested looks interesting.
    thanks again to everyone
    Sam Markovich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read the first couple pages of Harvey's book on the Amazon viewer about working fast and it's spot on. Buy it.