Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Facebook App

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Facebook App

This is a work in progress. Try it, comment on functionality and hang in there. The app will be up/down and inbetween until I've got it tweeked just right. A couple days ago I made an app https://apps.facebook.com/velocipedesalonforum/ Honestly, I'm still learning how this works but wanted to put this out there for bleeding edge adopters ;) If you use the facebook connect icon located at the top title bar, login to FB than allow it to "link" you will be good to go. If someone wanted to type up better directions go for it. Also, once logged in and linked you can publish to FB simultaneously when you post here by checking a box located at the bottom of your post (here). Good luck.

!!! THANK YOU Mr. Nierman for your help AGAIN with the graphics. You rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Facebook App

Warning: Potentially irrational & paranoid rant to follow.

Facebook is the best tool the government has. Who needs a domestic spying program when everyone will give it out for free? Plus it leverages the 99%'s personal information to make the 1% even wealthier. The Goldman Sachs baby! Genius invention. Let them eat cake.

Okay, tinfoil hat back in the safety drawer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I should add a thank you because obviously this forum doesn't operate itself and the people who do operate it make a diversion I enjoy. So thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem. Let's stick to the business at hand....than we can pontificate, politely of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with j44ke (and want to make clear I immensely appreciate the work you guys out in to keep this place running), but Facebook has an extremely poor record of privacy issues and data mining (remeber that on Facebook the product is you).

To the point that FB will track your activities on other websites through the "like" buttons an what not. My vote would be to keep most of it out, although I already run a couple of plugins to disable their tracking. Why would you want to enable https for the forum, just to turn around and give access to a company with terrible records of respecting that privacy.

FWIW my qualifications: programmer, web tech and EFF supporter (web equivalent of the ACLU).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    I'm with j44ke (and want to make clear I immensely appreciate the work you guys out in to keep this place running), but Facebook has an extremely poor record of privacy issues and data mining (remeber that on Facebook the product is you).

To the point that FB will track your activities on other websites through the "like" buttons an what not. My vote would be to keep most of it out, although I already run a couple of plugins to disable their tracking. Why would you want to enable https for the forum, just to turn around and give access to a company with terrible records of respecting that privacy.

FWIW my qualifications: programmer, web tech and EFF supporter (web equivalent of the ACLU).
    OK ok now I'm listening. As far as I can tell the plugin is one way communication eg. the link is shared out to F.B. and it's up to you what to do with that. To use F.B. from the forum you must have a F.B. account I see no issues there. The F.B. app itself will allow folks with F.B. accounts access the forum and share their comments and associated forum link on F.B. and again if you don't have a F.B. account and or are not logged into F.B. there is no interplay. F.B. app will not "mine" this forum as far as I can tell. Help me out here. FWIIW I kinda sorta hate social networking unless it is used to find food trucks and such. This effort is as much to support industry who rely on social networking as a means to reach audiences as it is anything related to personal pontification ;) < ---- Translation, I'm not thrilled about F.B. used for personal expansion and I am aware it has great potential for eff-builders to increase traffic to their blogs, twitter etc. Got it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FB makes a point of changing/breaking their settings and methods especially when it comes to privacy every couple months, but my understanding is that as long as you are logged into facebook (and not from here, but if you can access your profile right away when navigating to Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More by having cookies enabled, which is pretty much 99.9% of internet users out there), FB can and will track all your actions (pages visited) online through the code they use to display the "like" buttons.

I think if people want to share something on FB they can just copy and paste the URL, but then again most people are willing to give up privacy for the sake of convenience. I'm not one of those people, but I have the technical knowledge to go around that if I think it's worth my time.

Just my $0.02