Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Boot: To Resole or Not

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hiking Boot: To Resole or Not

I have a conundrum, my 13 year old Montrail's need to be resoled.

They have served me well, but nowhere locally can resole hiking boots. Online it looks like it'll be around $110, (shipping both ways plus labor). But they are great all leather boots, with toe caps. Two things that are hard to find these days. Can anyone recommend a cobbler?

But then there is the real question, is it worth spending that on old boots? They are getting a bit worn around the rivets.

What say you? New boots (limmer? but no toe caps) or resole?

thanks,
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hiking Boot: To Resole or Not

I'm a fan of getting good boots resoled, I just got the third set of soles put on my Redwings and they are good to go for another year,that said the resole on them only costs me $60. on a $250 pair of boots.
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 8 year old Montrails. Resoled once by Dave Page. Great work and it's time for new scree collars and a few other small repairs as well as soles. Can't buy 'em anymore so they'll be rebuilt until it cannot be done anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 to Dave Page. He's overhauled two pairs of my Italian-made Vasques. They both came back looking unbelievably good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a pair butchered locally — I received them back in much less happy shape and I won't do it again. It's worth whatever Dave is asking to me.

Tangent: Have I always only been able to edit for 60 seconds? Did the forum get an upgrade? The quick reply is not showing by default at the bottom of the thread as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe pop for a set of these: Wilderness Men's Hiking Boot with Vibram Sole Technology - Merrell.com If you are like me, when I need to run/walk/go hard over rocky ground nothing beats old school hiking boots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, if I find a pair of heavy backpacking boots that fit, I'll resole them until they disintegrate. I had a pair of Raichle Mountain Trekkers the same vintage as your Moraines, and I finally wore through the leather liner. Same deal as the Montrails - they're no longer imported to the US. The next pair of boots I bought (La Sportivas) just never worked out at all. There was $300 or so out the window. I've finally found some Lowa Banffs that work for me, but there were a few miserable trips that ended with my socks soaked with blood before I finally got them broken in. They're great, but I almost never put them on that I don't miss the Raichles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. I'm sending these off to Dave!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, resole them! Boot fits are so important, don't replace! Especially since these look to be made with a classic Norwegian welt construction that can be resoled. I have a pair of '70s Vasques that have been resoled and would not give them up for anything.

Should I get these Italian made Nike boots resoled? NOT! Three day rock and trail scramble just chewed these things up. Problem is that many modern lightweight boots use fused multi density rubber that just tears itself apart:

I actually replaced these Nikes with a lighter but single density sole from Merrell, TT recommended the one with the Norwegian welt construction, but I wanted a lighter boot since I also have the Vasques:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modern hiking boots are just as durable in every way, and much, MUCH lighter. That said, I find most of them to be ugly (too tech-y?).

I think 13 years is a good life for a pair of boots. You've gotten your money's worth.

I've got a 14-year-old pair of Scarpas that need new soles. I'm fighting the urge to do it.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the next pair will be Limmer customs. $600 is steep but ya gets what ya pays fer.

Oh Montrail doesn't even make a boot anymore. Trail running shoes these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've purchased "light hikers" for euro trips with lots of walking and tossed them in the trash before leaving.
    They have their uses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went into Limmer fully expecting to plunk down the cash and sit on the waiting list. They fit me to a stock pair of Lightweights, then send me down the road to Ragged Mountain to get a pair they had in stock. I'm still blown away.

I get my Red Wing 875's resoled about every 9-10 months (crepe soles- but I stand on concrete all day). Wearing them now, and I just ordered a pair of 819's (the shoe version of my boot). I imagine I'll resole those, too.

I've had these folks do a few pair of rock shoes, but they also do boots and lots of other outdoor soft good repair: Mountain Soles - Outdoor Footwear Repair Since 1979

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try contacting Lyle MacRostie at MacRostie Leatherwear. Lyle was trained at Gokey - back when Gokey was really Gokey - and I have had my 1982-vintage Fabiano hiking boots resoled and repaired by him..also my 1979-vintage Gokey Upland Game boots. He is expensive. I don't have any of his contact info readily at hand except an email address; [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wore the soles off a set of sundowners, switched to trail runners and never looked back...

the leather was in real bad shape on those sundowners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I get my Red Wing 875's resoled about every 9-10 months (crepe soles- but I stand on concrete all day). Wearing them now, and I just ordered a pair of 819's (the shoe version of my boot). I imagine I'll resole those, too.
    got a link to the 819s? i couldn't find anything on the redwing site...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, 8109

That picture is from when they were new. I'm way overdue for their second (third?) sole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
    Problem is that many modern lightweight boots use fused multi density rubber that just tears itself apart:

I had a set of Solomon hiking boots do exactly that in the middle of a Boundary Waters trip. In the middle of a portage with a canoe on my shoulders my foot started feeling funny. I looked down and the sole was flopping. By the end of the portage I was walking on my insole. Fortunately, I had brought a set of running shoes with to wear around camp, and I was able to wear them full time for the rest of the trip. I'll never buy a set of boots with molded soles again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though I bought new boots I kept trying to wear my old Montrails. Then I noticed something funny, the sole was coming apart at the front, I tried gluing it to no avail.

I have been happy with the Merrell Wilderness. They are much lighter than the Montrails. They broke-in in one single hike, thinner leather but still warm. I do find I have to oil them once a week during the snow hiking season, and I use sno seal every other week just to keep the water out. This was less of a problem with the Montrails. But they don't make them anymore, no use crying over spilt milk.

Pics and a review here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2013/03/...ess-boots.html
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post

[/IMG]
    I had a pair of Asolos do the exact same thing. After 8 years of occasional use. Weighing my options. For $125 I might just get another pair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast