Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dog Crates/Kennels/Boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dog Crates/Kennels/Boxes

Sogn needs a new crate and I hope the braintrust here might be able to help me make a decision.

The crate is Sogn's bedroom every night, so it needs to be durable. It will also sit in my house, so it can't be too ugly.

The crate may occasionally get tied down in the back of a pickup. It may also end up doing a couple trans-Atlantic flights in the next year or two, although I'm hoping to find a way to avoid flying him.

Right now I'm debating between a large Ruff Tough

and a Zinger 4000.

Do any of you have experience with either of these kennels? Is the Zinger worth the extra dough?

Alternatively, are there any other kennels I should be looking at?

Sogn is counting on you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dog Crates/Kennels/Boxes

Re: the Zinger - Jesus Christmas man he's a Golden Retriever not a convict.

How are you supposed to feed him without a bowl slot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

methinks the plastic would be nicer to the hide for anywhere coolness is encountered. i've been using a the same "furrari" for over 10-years now and three terriers. i cannot find that make any more. a well-built plastic box should be plenty atwo.

i'm with eb- the zinger is a bit alcatrazish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use the Ruff Tough for travel and an XL steel knock down style for at home. The steel knock down jobs are very well made and are popular with the dog show crowd.
    Sully sleeps inside with the door open because it feels like a den. Just chuck an rug over the top and it's cozy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for talking sense, guys. I'll probably just save $300 and get the Ruff Tough. I've heard good things about them and I just needed to get past the feeling that I was paying $200 for recycled milk jugs. I guess spending $200 for recycled plastic isn't that weird - it's Patagonia's business model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just put a garage door on our bedroom and bring my trailer in every night........

Fly em in plastic and house em in big wire w/blanket al la TT. Tall people think alike. Sorry to insult you Josh.

Edit: Although it feking kills me to be serious...........You'll need to drill a BUNCH more holes in that plastic crate with a spade bit. Waaaaaay not enough ventilation. You can buy spanky crate covers for nasty days in the back of your truck but ya gotta keep em cool when it's hot and that ain't gunna happen in that sweat box. Just a cheap Vari kennels is fine and I've shipped dogs all over the place in em.

Value added content. Don't anyone get use to it.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 02-23-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Just letting ya know, the dog should be sleeping on your bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Great Dane sleeps in an XXXL knock-down wire cage crate everynight. When we travel, he rides in his own Honda Odyssey.

If it helps, the Zinger is much cheaper than the Honda, by comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    Although it feking kills me to be serious...........You'll need to drill a BUNCH more holes in that plastic crate with a spade bit. Waaaaaay not enough ventilation.
    After a long backorder, the Ruff Tough kennel arrived yesterday. Apparently the designers took Disturbed's recommendation because it came with twice as many vents as are shown in the picture - two rows, top and bottom. I might still punch a few more holes in the back, but I also might not bother until it's leaving my climate controlled house.

By the way, this crate is way more heavy duty than a Veri Kennel. Two totally different leagues. The Ruff Tough is built like a bomb shelter in comparison.