User Tag List

Thread: oxy/acetylene tank sizing for hobby builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default oxy/acetylene tank sizing for hobby builder

In the process of getting my own torch setup at home - mainly for more practice and messing around with my second frame.

I'm going with an oxy/acetylene setup since I have more experience with it vs mapp, etc and its what I've learned elsewhere on.

My question is what is a good tank size combo for hobby building? I need to be able to move this fairly easily into my basement. I think the quote I have from Airgas is a B for acetylene and a 40 or 80 for oxy. Just looking for some recommendations on tank pairings that make sense based on what we do and knowing I'm just practicing and maybe brazing a frame a year.
    Dan Reid
    rider, builder of a frame, owner of a pile of tubes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: oxy/acetylene tank sizing for hobby builder

An acetylene B tank combined with a 40cf oxygen should be a good size for occasionally but seriously messing about. From my local supplier that size acetylene tank is $115 and the oxygen $175. The 80cf oxygen tank is an additional $100 at $275. While those smaller and portable 20cf and MC tanks are convenient to carry around they would be too limited for my taste. I rented the size you are considering for a brazing demonstration at a bicycle show in Madison and I got quite a bit of use afterwards before the tanks ran out. i was a bit surprised at how long they lasted.

Of course I recommend using a BBQ propane tank that can be purchased and exchanged almost anywhere at anytime for the greatest cost savings and convenience. I get 3 times the burn time from my propane tank compared to my fairly large 80 acetylene tank. The greatest cost saving of course is using a 5lpm oxygen concentrator (that can also be used with acetylene). It doesn’t require a regulator and never needs to be refilled. I paid $350 for a refurbished one but some of my students have found them used for $50 to $100. The only problem with them is that you have to let it run for a couple of minutes before (almost) pure oxygen is coming out. It will blow out the flame if you don’t wait long enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the biggest you can afford. My shop is on my property so out local gas supply won't deliver. Get as big as you can safely transport and frankly Doug's suggestion sounds pretty damn good because acetylene and oxygen can be a deadly combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    Of course I recommend using a BBQ propane tank that can be purchased and exchanged almost anywhere at anytime for the greatest cost savings and convenience. I get 3 times the burn time from my propane tank compared to my fairly large 80 acetylene tank. The greatest cost saving of course is using a 5lpm oxygen concentrator (that can also be used with acetylene). It doesn’t require a regulator and never needs to be refilled. I paid $350 for a refurbished one but some of my students have found them used for $50 to $100. The only problem with them is that you have to let it run for a couple of minutes before (almost) pure oxygen is coming out. It will blow out the flame if you don’t wait long enough
    I vote this.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC
    Built a few frames in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought the smallest sizes of each bottle when I started, and I got a couple of frames out of the first fill. I've traded up since, but when I was only planning on building 2 or 3 a year, it was the perfect size.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock