Thread: Offset or non-offset seatposts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Offset or non-offset seatposts

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    the day would not be complete if i did not agitate someone on the interweb.

here is bartoli now: ITALIAN CYCLING JOURNAL: Michele Bartoli Recons Giro's Stage 7

are those 28's he's riding? where the heck are his fenders!?
    flux,
    bartoli has a triple crank?

hahaha made you look

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    This does not make sense.
    The problem is your frame and or your seat post with the Turbo seat
    the frame does not have enough set back for the post to hold the saddle at the correct set back for you so you push it back, complicated more by the type of saddle and it's dimensions
    It is probably true that the Look 585 in question does not have enough setback. But if I used a saddle with longer rails they'd probably be more centered on the rails and the clamp. But for the money I have paid for my 3 Looks combined I could not afford a single bike from one of the big dog builders here with the exception of the one I have from Zank and his prices now are more in line with reality than they were when I ordered mine.

If the Looks couldn't be made to work I wouldn't buy them. But they work for me with one of the only saddles which works for me for a 4 hour ride with a reasonable seatpost and they look good to boot. But that's not what it's about. It really is just about where the saddle needs to be and I can achieve that with an XL Look 585, a Campagnolo Record post and a Turbomatic saddle. Barely.

The three Look frames I have cost me a total of less than $2700, so part of my cheapness comes out. If I could afford a Crumpton which kept the rails centered I might pull the trigger on that. But I can't.

Long live eBay and the V-Salon Classifieds. In the end we're all just getting by with what works.

I can't believe I got sucked into this discussion. Where's that 11-foot pole again?

BTW, how's this for throwing fuel to the fire - an adjustable setback seatpost. With the saddle slammed all the way back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so are strip joints.

there is a parallel there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by corsa,inc View Post
    This multimillion dollar industry is not built on frames for pro riders it's to sell to middle age fat men.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dazza; it has nothing to do with the frame or geo. I am only refering to where the sweetspot is on that specific saddle. No more no less, rails are way back on the Turbo and sweetspot is not far rear of rail center. All saddles fit/sit differently. Sweetspot for an SMP for me is dead center of rail but sweetspot on a Turbomatic is slammed back on the rails. My pelvis/sit bones are on the sweetspots of both saddles but rail position on seatpost/seats are totally different. See where I'm coming from?
    This does not make sense.
    The problem is your frame and or your seat post with the Turbo seat
    the frame does not have enough set back for the post to hold the saddle at the correct set back for you so you push it back, complicated more by the type of saddle and it's dimensions
    so if I build you a frame with a 74 degree seat tube and you use a Campy post you will push it all the way back
    then you get a frame with a 72 degree seat tube and you still push it all the way back even if it is 30mm more?
    Agreement that some saddles do not have much rail room
    and all saddles have the straight part of the rails in a different position.
    and all saddles will change your pelvis location
    so get your fit up done with the saddle you intend to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    i think its 91?
    got any more somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CalD View Post
    Being fairly new to this forum, I'm just reading and seeing if people actually know what they're talking about. It seems that some do, some dont', but I'm happy to say that so far I think the balance is in favor of those who actually do know something about something. Sometimes it's not about bikes, but I guess that's what the OT thread is for. So far I've read some posts that are informative, accurate and well written. And every now and then I read one that is all those things plus makes me laugh out loud. I signed on today quite surprised to see that this thread is still going strong. I agree completely with calebs view on this topic, especially the part about being a pussy. Now I don't really do much cross country skiing, but if I do, I'm gonna try my damndest to do it like a Norwegian!
    welcome, and

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    Dazza; it has nothing to do with the frame or geo. I am only refering to where the sweetspot is on that specific saddle. No more no less, rails are way back on the Turbo and sweetspot is not far rear of rail center. All saddles fit/sit differently. Sweetspot for an SMP for me is dead center of rail but sweetspot on a Turbomatic is slammed back on the rails. My pelvis/sit bones are on the sweetspots of both saddles but rail position on seatpost/seats are totally different. See where I'm coming from?
    stop drawing pictures of your arse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    Yep got you.
    I was rushed and missed your meaning
    you are correct
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame evil MTB's.... there were no inline seatposts and sloping top tubes 'til those dirty muthas came along.

...they're now infiltrating us with discs.......notice those wider Velocity/Hed rims?????

... we'll all be sessioning down mountains soon, mark my words (well not so much in DC but you get my point)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

Coach: That's because you're still a pussy. If you stick with it you'll get faster.
    ha ha. Words to live by (the still being a pussy part)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Eye of the (victorious) Tiger. Look how the gold light is cascading down on you in the second photo. Magic.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 12-09-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rod Moses of Interloc Racing was probably the first. He fabbed one up for Paul Thomasberg because Paul kept on breaking the bolt on his traditional styles. The hot rumor is the Syncros guys were rolling down I5 and stopped to see Rod. (IRD used to be in Selma, OR). They promptly liked the idea and went for it. Of course the truth is that there were probably a ton of other people with the same/similar idea round about the same time. See Ringle, USE, Cunningham and a bunch more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    don't tell anyone you fucking motherfucker- but my client's bikes are all designed to have the seat in the middle of the rails too....i "refined" my fit a few weeks back by having a pal do a specialized bg two hour cluster fuck fit on me. she shoved some shit in my shoes, raised my saddle three cms and told me i should ride a 61cm roubaix with a 110mm stem.
    With a 22cm HT no doubt... 2 questions:

1) Did you really have a Specialized BG fit 2 hr cluster fuck fit done?
    2) Can I use that title to market my fit sessions with clients?

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    take my life- please. i still want to look like tafi on a bike....but failing that i at least want to look like douglas mother fucking brooks.
    From this day forth DBRK shall be known as DMF'gB.

C.S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe i am missing something, but why the discourtesy/rudeness to a particular individual on a public forum ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nalsdixit View Post
    maybe i am missing something, but why the discourtesy/rudeness to a particular individual on a public forum ?
    Who?

These guys have the upmost respect for Brooks if that's what you are talking about.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anywho, loving this thread and it will become wiki.

FODMFB (friend of DouglasMotherFuckingBrooks).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, i mite hv missed the context, to me from reading cycling forums dbrk is not a jules winnfield type going around carrying a obmf wallet , but rather a dignified professor into toei bikes and sanskrit, i felt it was discourteous calling him DMFgB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Dazza,
    To make these saddles even more confusing, I own three of them and the rails have a variance of .5 to 1cm in relation from tip to tail of the saddles! Meaning; if you center them all each in this case will be .5 to 1cm. further forward of the other. So even slammed some saddle of the same model dont go back as far as the others. I love stuff like this in a twisted way, because folks go crazy over custom geo and measure to the mm. and a builder put's his heart and soul into a bike but the new saddle the customer puchased which happens to be the same as what he/she may use puts them in a totally different spot! Unfortuatley I bet the builder gets the blame for this sometimes when the owner swears the bike rides funky....
    Yep got you.
    I was rushed and missed your meaning
    you are correct

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys have all got to be kidding. This is kind of funny.

Okay, my .02. First of all, the bike has to fit the rider. Biomechanically speaking, it has to allow him/her to put the power to the pedals and not cause stress and the resulting injuries.Where the saddle is placed is an individual need. Whether a setback or straight post is used really doesn't matter that much, as long as it is correct for the rider's fit.

As far as beauty is concerned. It's a personal preference whether that seatpost is straight or setback. It's an opinion and you can't say someone else's opinion is wrong. You are welcome to prefer a setback (or a straight) post. it's no skin off my back, folks.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567