User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to Britain !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Congratulations to Britain !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    Because nothing says independence like limiting the free movement of people.
    Because nothing says independence like Britain's borders being controlled by bureaucrats in Brussels, Belgium. Does that really sound like an independent country to you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No country is independent.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Tex View Post
    Yes, 16 year old girls are usually the best sources of wisdom & judgement on such things.
    you're right. old white men from another continent on a bicycle forum are most certainly more knowledgable about Britain than a young woman who actually lives there.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    you're right. old white men from another continent on a bicycle forum are most certainly more knowledgable about Britain than a young woman who actually lives there.
    Yet you, and the vast majority of folks on this bicycle forum, most certainly know better than a majority of the British people that voted in the election to leave the EU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet you, and the vast majority of folks on this bicycle forum, most certainly know better than a majority of the British people that voted to leave the EU.
    The EU has contributed in no small part to the longest period of prolonged peace on the continent in a millenia.

The EU ain't perfect, but it's a pretty great case that economic interdependence, freedom of movement and general collaboration keeps people from butchering each other in some godforsaken Flanders field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just off the top of my head, no free movement of labor. Has the potential to increase wages by controlling supply.

Better control of immigration, there was another terrorist stabbing attack in London yesterday. That situation could potentially be improved.

This one is a bit more nebulous: better control of their own destiny. This is a point that always isn’t well understood. This isn’t always able to be quantified by dollars & cents (or GBP).
    Europe unified for 2 reasons. One is economic and it´s mostly about numbers. The other reason is the horrible wars; the nations involved were always about controlling their own destinies.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet you, and the vast majority of folks on this bicycle forum, most certainly know better than a majority of the British people that voted in the election to leave the EU.
    51.9% which leaves 48.1% having a different opinion (which is huge).

Also, a look at the map gives some hindsights :
    EU Referendum Results - BBC News
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    JIT delivery is about reducing costs because the manufacturer doesn't have to warehouse parts or products. I'm the chief engineer in a factory that practices JIT and we're pretty isolated, two hours from Vegas, three hours from Phoenix. We get parts from the eastern US, Mexico, Vietnam, and China. As products are built, they go in the truck, we have no warehouse for finished goods. Because we get parts from abroad, the time spent in customs is figured into the equation. The cost is as well, when the tariffs hit China, the Chinese manufacturers lowered their prices to keep the net cost the same. When the tariffs go away or lesson, the price will go back up. Suppliers want the business, they all make adjustments to shipping and cost to keep their customers. English manufacturers supplied from European vendors should be no different.
    It depends on how the trade agreement shakes out. Margins for European suppliers are often already razor thin. They won't be able to just eat a tariff. It'll get passed on to the manufacturer and ultimately the consumer. and if auto manufacturers aren't able to sell UK built cars duty free on the continent, those assembly plants are going to get relocated to the continent. If something doesn't have to be manufactured in the UK (ie because that's where the primary market is), it won't be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, this forum seems to be having a somewhat nuanced discussion about the pros and cons of Brexit while not judging the UK residents themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offense to anyone is intended but if we're gonna have a public discussion I, like the home plate umpire, will "calls'em like I sees'em".

Show of hands: Who thinks that they have THE pearl of wisdom, that magic piece of irrefutable evidence that will have Glenn agreeing that Trump ought to be removed from office or that Brexit will likely be bad news for the UK?

Anybody?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?

I suggest that rather than expending your energy on a fool's errand you do something, anything, that will help flush Trump and other Republicans from office. Volunteer for a candidate, or for the larger Democratic Party apparatus, or write letters to the editor.

And another thing, and in no way is this intended to absolve the RP of it's mendacity and duplicity since Clinton was elected, but: There are some legitimate reasons for some folks to be pissed off at the Democratic Party. If good comes from our current political situation it will, I think, be that the DP abandons it's Third Way stance and moves in a more progressive (by my definition Sanders) direction.

It's only a guess but I think that Glenn is rather enjoying wrapping you guys around the axle.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Common sense says Brexit is a monumental sc"·$ up. Other than that.. sure... no one knows what future will bring.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the magic piece of irrefutable evidence

One of our conservative senators, when asked on a political panel show what evidence contributed to his climate change denialist views said "I'm not relying on evidence".
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    It depends on how the trade agreement shakes out. Margins for European suppliers are often already razor thin. They won't be able to just eat a tariff. It'll get passed on to the manufacturer and ultimately the consumer. and if auto manufacturers aren't able to sell UK built cars duty free on the continent, those assembly plants are going to get relocated to the continent. If something doesn't have to be manufactured in the UK (ie because that's where the primary market is), it won't be.
    It would have to be a damn quick ROI to relocate a manufacturing plant. Economies and supply chains are developed with dependent industries. Britain will want to continue manufacturing and the vendors that built their business model around supplying a manufacturing plant will adapt. The US currently has a shortage of particleboard because a large factory burned down and the parent company isn't interested in rebuilding. Now particleboard will come from Mexico and Canada. Companies can flex to shift suppliers and often get better prices because of competition. We're watching China pretty close right now, their industries are close to idle due to the Coronavirus, we have to find new suppliers if the Chinese economy tanks. In the big picture, Brexit is pretty minor.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    51.9% which leaves 48.1% having a different opinion (which is huge).

Also, a look at the map gives some hindsights :

EU Referendum Results - BBC News
    Man when you look at that map...it looks like it's quickly going to become the United Kingdom of Wales and parts of England. What a sh**storm. I just cant believe they didn't put thresholds on the referendum. Doing the exact opposite of what 48.1% of the population wants and then "bringing the country (it's countries!) back together" Good luck with that.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the magic piece of irrefutable evidence

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    One of our conservative senators, when asked on a political panel show what evidence contributed to his climate change denialist views said "I'm not relying on evidence".
    Just the one of them?
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Re: Congratulations to Britain !!!!

Brits very clearly did not have Iowa Caucus personnel calculating their results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Man when you look at that map...it looks like it's quickly going to become the United Kingdom of Wales and parts of England. What a sh**storm. I just cant believe they didn't put thresholds on the referendum. doing the exact opposite of what 48.1% of the population wants and then "bringing the country back together" Good luck with that.
    Even that's sugar coating it. Going against what 62% of the Scottish wanted. And doing it on their behalf. Why the hell would they want to keep having anything to do with England?
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...A great victory for the PEOPLE of Britain 🇬🇧!
    Not so much. Some of the people of Britain? Sure.

So Britain (at the mo) is Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales.
    • Scotland voted 62% to stay.
    • Northern Ireland voted 55.8% to stay.
    • The government in England took them out instead. Talk about "I'm from head office and I'm here to help!"

So from a long way away it looks to me like Brexit will deliver the near term re-unification of Ireland and Scottish independence, so it's probably not all bad. I'll get back in my box now...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live primarily in England but also about 30% of the time on the continent. This is going to hit me and my family hard. Along with many other part time Brits I spend quite a bit of money out there inviting friends, supporting (and enjoying) restaurants, hotels, the ski school and other tourist things. I must have cycled more miles in the EU than I have in the UK. All this may reduce. It seems the politicians have allowed themselves 11 months to negotiate some basic stuff. I am flying out next week so will see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because nothing says independence like Britain's borders being controlled by bureaucrats in Brussels, Belgium. Does that really sound like an independent country to you?
    Quality of life of it´s citizens is more valuable than "independence". North Korea is independent. English and EU citizens otoh have a standard of living unequalled on the planet. If the brits think they can do better on their own.. well, let´s wish them good luck.
    slow.