User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to Britain !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Congratulations to Britain !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Fantastic quote from DP13107 Inequality Aversion, Populism, and the Backlash Against Globalization:

"Economic growth exacerbates inequality due to heterogeneity in risk aversion."
    I'd buy that bumper sticker.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. The old saw "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" keep coming to surface so help me out.

Challenge: Say you are in favor of BREXIT than give me a short version of what winning looks like. I'm serious, give it to me straight with real substance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Tex View Post
    What are the dire predictions of Brexit related economic doom based on ?
    From the companies in Europe/UK that i've done business with, certainly part of the decision to locate headquarters and offices
    in places like London was because it was English speaking, and yet in Europe. For many countries around the world, this was
    a no-brainer. Now that there isn't the same incentive, why pay the premium for being in London, when it is not in the EU?

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. The old saw "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" keep coming to surface so help me out.

Challenge: Say you are in favor of BREXIT than give me a short version of what winning looks like. I'm serious, give it to me straight with real substance.
    Passports with blue covers once again. Supplied through a Franco-Dutch company from a manufacturer in Poland.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Passports with blue covers once again. Supplied through a Franco-Dutch company from a manufacturer in Poland.
    That will put you in the Non Eu line when entering any country in the block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    That will put you in the Non Eu line when entering any country in the block.
    Exactly. They are freed of the indignity of carrying a pink passport.

To wit:
    Brandon Lewis, the immigration minister, said: “Leaving the EU gives us a unique opportunity to restore our national identity and forge a new path for ourselves in the world. That is why I am delighted to announce that the British passport will be returning to the iconic blue and gold design after we have left the European Union...”

Speaking in April, the Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell said the burgundy EU passport had been a source of national “humiliation”. “The restoration of our own British passport is a clear statement to the world that Britain is back. Our British identity was slowly but surely being submerged into an artificial European one that most Brits felt increasingly unhappy about,” he told Press Association. The humiliation of having a pink European Union passport will now soon be over and the United Kingdom nationals can once again feel pride and self-confidence in their own nationality when travelling, just as the Swiss and Americans can do. National identity matters and there is no better way of demonstrating this today than by bringing back this much-loved national symbol when travelling overseas.”

Snowflakes.

Japanese passports valid for 10 years are red. Those valid for 5 years are navy. Clueless Japanese...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they will need to use that passport to visit the Honda factory that is moving from Britain to the Continent to get better access to the European Market...
    as well as a number of international banks whose high paying jobs will now be located in Brussels or Frankfort for the same reason.

Thanks Boris...
    On the bright side...this move saved a small cannery on the English coast and it's 20 jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    The win has already happened, the Conservative Party has shunted Labour into the ditch for years to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s all hope the ‘expert’ predictions turn out as wildly inaccurate as the predictions of economic doom did back in 2016 when trump was elected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most important question in all of this - which not a single person here has bothered to even mention - is whether the European Ryder Cup team will still include GB&I. Nothing else matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, good call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they will need to use that passport to visit the Honda factory that is moving from Britain to the Continent to get better access to the European Market...
    as well as a number of international banks whose high paying jobs will now be located in Brussels or Frankfort for the same reason.

Thanks Boris...
    On the bright side...this move saved a small cannery on the English coast and it's 20 jobs.
    It's going to depend on how the trade agreement between the UK and the EU shakes out but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this decimates a lot of british manufacturing. Just the uncertainty of the situation alone is going to be enough to discourage any significant investment in the UK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    The win has already happened, the Conservative Party has shunted Labour into the ditch for years to come.
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean agreed it's killed Corbyn style labour.

But 12 months of uncertainty and then...any bad consequences and being the party "that got Brexit done" won't be helpful.

The public can turn quickly and severely. Could be a short honeymoon if the shit hits the fan.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Perhaps splitting hair, but I think Corbyn, not the Tories, did that.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    It's going to depend on how the trade agreement between the UK and the EU shakes out but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this decimates a lot of british manufacturing. Just the uncertainty of the situation alone is going to be enough to discourage any significant investment in the UK.
    Boris announced comprehensive customs checks for goods coming in from the EU, which obviously will cause delay in clearance.

The motor car industry relies on just-in-time manufacturing, and with any given manufacturer's supply chain peppered across Europe, it will have a significant impact. Honda calculated that a 15-minute delay for the components coming from the continent to clear UK customs will cost them £850k per annum. Let that sink in.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Boris...
    Actually, Dave is the one that deserves credit.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boris announced comprehensive customs checks for goods coming in from the EU, which obviously will cause delay in clearance.

The motor car industry relies on just-in-time manufacturing, and with any given manufacturer's supply chain peppered across Europe, it will have a significant impact. Honda calculated that a 15-minute delay for the components coming from the continent to clear UK customs will cost them £850k per annum. Let that sink in.
    Maybe, but think of the benefits of reducing the frequency of parts delivery to once per week or month, rather than multiple truck deliveries per day. Less pollution, less traffic, less manpower to receive & process multiple parts orders per day.

Perhaps another adjustment could be to move some parts manufacturing closer to the car assembly plant rather than endure the pollution & freight costs of shipping parts in from timbucktoo multiple times per day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe, but think of the benefits of reducing the frequency of parts delivery to once per week or month, rather than multiple truck deliveries per day. Less pollution, less traffic, less manpower to receive & process multiple parts orders per day.

Perhaps another adjustment could be to move some parts manufacturing closer to the car assembly plant rather than endure the pollution & freight costs of shipping parts in from timbucktoo multiple times per day.
    Come on, Daltex. Just trolling the forum must get old even for you. I think 2Tall posed a good question. Why don't you describe what winning will look like for the UK?

Will they follow the Canadian Model? The Swiss Model? for bilateral EU relations?
    Do you think Trump will give them a good deal with the US? What does that look like?

I am open to your view if you can outline it. Go ahead, educate em?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On your first para, I suggest you first understand the concept of JIT manufacturing and the likely consequences of abandoning it and taking up your recommendation, for both car makers and consumers.

On your second para, see https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...tml#post988402, courtesy of @SteveP
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Come on, Daltex. Just trolling the forum must get old even for you.
    Trolling: now redefined as any disruption to the groupthink of the echo chamber.

Carry on agreeing with other without any further disruption.