Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

After years of owning and riding a multitude of racereps and then managing to smash myself to smithereens at 60 mph, my biking days are over. However, I did buy myself a scooter for transport few years ago due to a job change and had far more fun on that than I ever did on my bikes. bikes are fun but there's fun and there's serious fun if you see what I mean. A Suzuki Sv650 has been mentioned and they are ace. just add petrol and go. I think a nice maxiscooter might be just the ticket. You can use that for everything. I'llhave one again soon.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started riding motorbikes about 2 years ago and went with a Duc Monster 696 for my first bike. I liked it enough, but didn't have the power I wanted, so went to a 100Evo. Great bike and I put a few thousand miles on it in a very short time. I rode it all of the time, freezing cold, warm, wet, etc. When I started taking longer trips I got tired of the sport bike position. I now have a Duc Diavel and love it. It can do anything a proper sport bike can do, but comfort and the fell of being connected with the bike has won me over. My wife and I only have one car (for now) and it is my main mode of transportation. So much fun.

Yeah motorbikes can be dangerous, but the fun involved if you don't act like a maniac on the road is priceless. My biggest regret was not buying a used bike for my first one. I think a lower start up cost would have been a smart way to go for me, but again that was for me.

I say get what appeals to you, take a test ride and have fun in the process of finding one that feels good.

best of luck and it is totally normal to feel a bit intimidated when trying things out. A good dealer will help you with that.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life Long motorcyclist here.
    Competed for years. Used one for transportation forever. Still do.
    Don't. It's too dangerous out there, and it does not depend on you.
    I limit my riding to lesser roads. Ride with all senses on it. Still ended in the ICU for quite some time with a broken head after a pickup truck simply didn't see me and swerved into me (that was in Houston, I'm in Colombia now).
    You're starting late and the US is particularly dangerous with freeways and the speeds they elicit.
    Only reason I still tide is I'm in Colombia where the speed is much slower, and it serves mostly as a traffic buster where we're allowed to lane split (with traffic going less than 20 mph).
    Do your family a favor and do the mid life crisis thing differently.
    un abrazo,
    Henrique Tono

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htono View Post
    Life Long motorcyclist here.
    Competed for years. Used one for transportation forever. Still do.
    Don't. It's too dangerous out there, and it does not depend on you.
    I limit my riding to lesser roads. Ride with all senses on it. Still ended in the ICU for quite some time with a broken head after a pickup truck simply didn't see me and swerved into me (that was in Houston, I'm in Colombia now).
    You're starting late and the US is particularly dangerous with freeways and the speeds they elicit.
    Only reason I still tide is I'm in Colombia where the speed is much slower, and it serves mostly as a traffic buster where we're allowed to lane split (with traffic going less than 20 mph).
    Do your family a favor and do the mid life crisis thing differently.
    That's probably some of the most sensible advice I have heard. I'll still ride mine though. Love it.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a 250 dual sport bike many, many years ago. That was before I could afford a car. Didn't ride them for about 20 years. In 2008 I bought a Ninja 250 to see if I was really going to get back into it. Figured the small bike would be a smart choice to get back into things and would be easy to sell if I found I did not really like it. Well, I loved it and now have a Triumph Street Triple. You may want to buy a used 250 to acquire new skills and not get in over your head. A used 250 should resell for about what you paid for it.

As others have said, wear protective gear all the time. Practice, practice, practice. Be aware you are pretty much invisible to everyone no matter what you wear. Riding a motorcycle has actually make me a better cyclist. Each type of riding informs the other. I am better at anticipating car movement and changing position to draw attention to my presence. Being on two wheels is just lots of fun, regardless of how they are powered.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life long MC rider here too, and my advice is to think of it as combat. Staying alive on a bike means always assuming that every driver is a drooling cretin thumbing a cell phone while operating a high-speed killing machine, and you are invisible.
    In other words, never let your guard down, ever. And that goes at least as much for riding a bicycle in traffic as well.

That said, I absolutely love anything with two wheels, whether the motor is me, or a rumbling hunk of oil and iron. As far as I'm concerned, cars are at best an annoying, expensive necessity. As for MC choices, I'm partial to Euro bikes over Harleys and Japanese bikes, but thats just me.

My own bike? A 1975 Norton 750 Commando. Not for the faint of heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
    I started riding motorbikes about 2 years ago and went with a Duc Monster 696 for my first bike. I liked it enough, but didn't have the power I wanted, so went to a 100Evo.
    Dave, this is really terrible advice for a new rider. As someone who's been riding dirt bikes and mopeds since I could walk, and been riding on the street for 21 years (I'm 37), I'd suggest that _any_ modern 250cc or more motorcycle has plenty of power.

Antonio, given you have been riding a scoot, you can probably comfortably start with a v-twin middleweight like a SV650 or V7. The idea that a 696 Monster is insufficiently powerful though... Dave, I don't know what to say about that. I've ridden something on the order of 160,000 - 180,000 miles on the street in the last 20 years. My current bike that gets the most miles - a Ninja 250. 27 horsepower of fury.

Quote Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
    In 2008 I bought a Ninja 250 to see if I was really going to get back into it. Figured the small bike would be a smart choice to get back into things and would be easy to sell if I found I did not really like it. Well, I loved it and now have a Triumph Street Triple. You may want to buy a used 250 to acquire new skills and not get in over your head. A used 250 should resell for about what you paid for it.
    I have a 2005 Ninja 250, along with the other "big" bikes in my stable. The pre-2008 Ninja 250s are great - cheap to buy ($1200-1600 every day of the week), cheap to own ($70 annual registration, $500 annual liability-only insurance), easy to work on (carbs, screw-adjust valves), roomy (they look a little like sport bikes, but have a very standard seating position and are good for a six-footer). Additionally, they really teach you to be in the correct gear and to maintain corner speeds. Oh yeah, and after you ride it 10,000 miles, spend a Saturday waxing it, and you can sell it for more than you bought it for.

I really think a smaller bike is the smart move. And I say this as someone who's spent a lot of time on land barges (FJRs/BMWs) and supersports (CBR1000 in the garage) and can drag myself around "big" Willow in 1:35 or so. Though at 37, I do find myself sort of tempted by a Gold Wing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    No, my comment wasn't directed at you at all. I've just heard cyclists say how much more dangerous motorcycles are than cycling which I think is a fallacy.
    Depends how you ride. I would argue that motorcycles are more dangerous but we are probably splitting hairs. You say you've done 50 mph on a bicycle, well I have done 90 mph on a motorcycle (probably equivalent to the higher end of the limits) Wrecking at either speed would put you in a world of hurt.

I had a BMW F650. Nice bike. Personally, I never felt the rush of the open road like I have when cycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of great advice here as always. My advice is this... If there is a right way to go into buying a bike you are doing it. It is a decision that can change your life in many ways, the most severe of which are bad. But life is short, if you cannot be dissuaded at least be smart. Ride when and where it makes sense, particualarly important for those whose families depend on them. Avoid traffic, don't push yourself, never hurry. If you have trouble with self-control then exercise all you have on NOT purchasing a bike in the first place. If you ride long enough you will have an accident, but you have a small amount of control over what kind of accident based on where and when you ride.

Again, it sounds like you are doing it right, if that is possible. You aren't a teen, you're considering safety first and you're looking at an Italian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When discussing motorcycle statistics, it's imperative to account for accidents among riders 16-25 and riders who are riding impaired. Single-vehicle accidents account for ~45% of motorcycle fatalities. As a for instance, in 1999, there were 1,051 reported single-vehicle fatal accidents; of these 496 had a BAC of 0.0 and 555 had a BAC of >= 0.01. Good stuff here: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809-360.pdf

Which is all to say, riding motorcycles is very dangerous. But if you're a 37 year-old in full ATGATT on a BMW R100RS, riding sober during the day, it's not as dangerous as statistics would have us believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like much fun. Very happy that my family won't allow it. Mid-life crisis or not, 40-50 is not the age to start. Buy a new carbon bicycle with Di2. Another old-guy-new-rider across the street from me recently sold his after he healed enough to put it back together. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    When discussing motorcycle statistics, it's imperative to account for accidents among riders 16-25 and riders who are riding impaired. Single-vehicle accidents account for ~45% of motorcycle fatalities. As a for instance, in 1999, there were 1,051 reported single-vehicle fatal accidents; of these 496 had a BAC of 0.0 and 555 had a BAC of >= 0.01. Good stuff here: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809-360.pdf

Which is all to say, riding motorcycles is very dangerous. But if you're a 37 year-old in full ATGATT on a BMW R100RS, riding sober during the day, it's not as dangerous as statistics would have us believe.
    My reflexes, eye sight, awareness were a lot better at 25 than say 37. <----- More tongue And cheek than a criticism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who's had a shitload of bikes and normally suggests the SV650 for newer riders, I think that the DRz-400sm might be the new go-to for newbies. Fun, fast enough, good position. And then trade it in on an SMR510.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XJBaylor View Post
    If you have trouble with self-control then exercise all you have on NOT purchasing a bike in the first place.
    This is solid advice that could save your life. I'm thinking of selling my CBR - not really sure I need a bike that goes 80-100mph in <3 seconds, will do the ton in 2nd gear, and tops out around 175mph. Even though I'm a sensible dad of two, it is way too easy to find yourself going very very fast. Basically, any sensible/legal riding on the street feels like you're riding the bike at 3/10ths. At least on my Ninja 250, I can get the tires warm! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    There are all kinds people out there and they're all in cars.
    How very true.

Bicycling and riding a MC are VERY similar overall. I'd hop on the GS-Adv and head out for a few hour ride and cover a few hundred miles. Try that on a bicycle! The body motions are bigger, but overall... similar. The biggest difference is now you're living with the cars at their speed. That's both good and bad. Good in that if you're on a bike with enough oomph YOU get to choose where you pass them! Bad because you're dancing with elephants and they still don't care about you.

If you wander the aisles over on ADVrider you'll find threads on many different kinds of bikes. Their upsides. Downsides. How to fix em if they break. ...and the classifieds. DO NOT buy a new bike if you can help it. Depreciation on a new bike is a killer.

If I had to recommend something for someone that's never ridden a motorbike, it'd be something mid-displacement but not a sport bike. Tiger 800, SVs, Wee Stroms, 650 Ninjas, small Monsters or Multistradas, etc. They'll still bite you, but it won't be *quite* as bad as a liter bike (or bigger)

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also keep in mind that your reaction time is the same (although slower than when you were 20) but your speed and stopping distance will not be compared to being on a bicycle.

When I rotated in an ER, the term 'murdercycle' came up more than once.

Would a used Porsche 911 be a viable alternative for your mid-life crisis?

Either way, enjoy and don't forget the insurance policy before you get whatever you're getting... =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very late to this party, and I'm not going to get into recommending first bikes and all that shit. All I will say is; Do It. You'll never have as much fun on anything with a motor as you will on a motorcycle. Cars of any stripe will just pale. It is also the only way to travel/tour long distances...bicycles coming in a moderately distant second. I've been all across America, Canada, up to Alaska, and as far south as down to Mexico City multiple times on a motorcycle over the years...I've probably got 200K miles or more logged. Our policy on cross-America trips was; "No road larger then a Blue Highway". It's the Best Thing Ever. Also, it will make you a better bicyclist. Nothing ever helped to develop my bicycle handling, safety, and confidence like riding motorcycles. The physics aren't quite the same, but lots of stuff transfers across platforms. Enjoy your sled, whatever you get. Glad to se you took the MSF class...but once you get your bike...PRACTICE stuff like high-speed stops, cornering, and most important; Low-speed handling...which many many many folks just suck at...but it is an invaluable skill to master. Keep your feet on the fucking pegs! Oh..and NEVER split lanes. It's a ticket to Disaster. Get a really good full set of leathers and wear them. Full-face helmet. No "shorty" shit unless you want to experience major jaw reconstructive surgery someday...because sooner or later you WILL crash in some capacity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old French Bike View Post
    Life long MC rider here too, and my advice is to think of it as combat. Staying alive on a bike means always assuming that every driver is a drooling cretin thumbing a cell phone while operating a high-speed killing machine, and you are invisible.
    In other words, never let your guard down, ever. And that goes at least as much for riding a bicycle in traffic as well.
    Best bit of advice I've seen yet. Its YOUR safety. Ride accordingly.

That said, I absolutely love anything with two wheels, whether the motor is me, or a rumbling hunk of oil and iron. As far as I'm concerned, cars are at best an annoying, expensive necessity. As for MC choices, I'm partial to Euro bikes over Harleys and Japanese bikes, but thats just me.
    +1

I love the 'my family won't let me' type comments. Like bicycling on the road is significantly safer than riding a MC?! Riding amongst the cars without the power to get out of the way is better? That always makes me confused. That we're not all hood ornaments is a testament to others' goodwill rather than increased safety.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've ridden motorcycles from coast to coast, all over the country.
    smaller bikes are less stable. it's the guy coming at you, who turns left, that kills you, not little bike or big bike.
    wear a helmet.
    always ride defensively, just like on a road bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telling a guy that wants a Guzzi to buy a Suzuki is like telling a guy that wants a Zanc to buy a Specialized imho.

Buy the Guzzi stay on country roads and enjoy the hell out of it. I'm 6'6" and the V11 fit me just fine. You could look for an older V11 naked model. Guzzi's are pretty bullet proof once they're broken in they're pretty maintenance free.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast