Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girl Talk: Cuz some of you really know yer music

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Girl Talk: Cuz some of you really know yer music

Positive review of this yesterday on NPR of all places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man I have been listening to tracks 5 and 6 off this latest album p. much nonstop since it was released. I just can't get over some of the mixes on those two tracks. ODB and Radiohead? Shit yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girl Talk - All Day samples.

Lets normal listeners hear Girl Talk the way crate diggers do. It's a little lag-y on my machine, but it works and is kinda fun.
    I write for daily serving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was skeptical--- but it rocks ("fair use" or not).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love that this kind of music is touched on... lesser known electronic artist incorporating elements of classical music and shakesperean sampling is Menton Matthews of Sunday Munich, also known as Saltillo. If you check out the info on his motivation for this album "Ganglion" it's really deep. He's a classically trained violinist and cellist.

thanks,
    -Hamid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    That was great, especially because he's so blatant about his craft - the video is a perfect analog of the music.

Of course, as soon as I saw the name, I flashed to this:

But 50's the new 40, right?
    Thanks for the Rockpile clip! Saw them live several times in 1978-1980, still covet Lowe's 8-string Hamer bass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whale_spout View Post
    You can't mention clipping without mentioning Avalanches. (I've never seen the video until now, pretty amazing) Always Bonus points for any John Waters reference.
    How could I have forgotten this? Brilliant, especially the end:

Can you think of anything that talks, other than a person?
    Umm... a bird? Yeah!
    ...sometimes a parrot talks.
    Yes, some birds are funny when they talk.
    Can you think of anything else?
    Umm... a record!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dig the new album. But how can he feel so entitled as to not pay for the rights to use the samples? His product is totally riding the coattails of the original artist.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whale_spout View Post
    You can't mention clipping without mentioning Avalanches. (I've never seen the video until now, pretty amazing) Always Bonus points for any John Waters reference.
    I just found this out today, but apparently if you want the "true" Avalanches experience, you need to find the Australian version of the album. Apparently there were a bunch of samples that they were not given permission to use for the US CD release, so you can only hear those samples if you get the Australian version of the album. The more you know, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mixed feelings about Girl Talk. Both albums are undoubtedly super fun at points, but I find myself getting fatigued after a while with the repetitiveness. The rampant misogyny of many of the hip-hop tracks is annoying....yes, I understand the idea of being ironically removed from the genre...but the hateful words are still just hateful. I have a sister who is a junior in college and it bothers me to think of her at parties where shit like that is perpetuated. Maybe I'm old.

GT is certainly an impressive technician, but with the lack of true, live performance I would hesitate to call him a DJ. More of a cunning editor/sonic experience producer. Great fodder here for commentary on contemporary culture and media consumption habits as well. More and more consumers are not really listening to any one single song, but that song in interlaced comparison to surrounding music/media. The point is less about the song in your ears, and more about how it differs and relates to the other songs you've heard. Recognizing each sample and how it fits in feels good. I think Girl Talk is pleasurable to a large extent because his albums compress those moments of recognition of difference and relationship by the hundreds into a digestible chunk. It's like mass consumption of popular culture. Along that line--while the editing is impressive--I'm also struck by how structurally similar so much popular music is...even the disparate "genres".

Interesting to me how good it feels to recognize a song in the mix...when I first realized U2 was building I got a rush of satisfaction...not just because I love U2, but simply because of the recognition. It's like that with smells, tastes, faces, as well as sounds. Maybe that's an evolutionary biology question.

Anyway...sorry if I have gone off the deep end with this one. I just had a bout of norovirus and my brain is in a strange place. I did lose 8 lbs in 36 hours. Worst diet ever.
    Last edited by The Narg; 11-24-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: the spellings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I dig the new album. But how can he feel so entitled as to not pay for the rights to use the samples? His product is totally riding the coattails of the original artist.
    -Joe
    We could talk all day about this, but I don't see anything wrong with what he's doing here. I was a lot more involved in music back when sampling became affordable, and then it became pretty much impossible due to the lawyers. Things have reverted to a more reasonable approach now. I'm guessing he has a fairly impressive pile of cease and desist letters though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girl Talk: I like it.

Also, I have it on good authority that he is into bikes. Older, lugged steel bikes. That must be a point in his favor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a musician, this isn't exactly my thing. I'd prefer to hear original stuff than DJ/mashup stuff. I was talking smack about it as some friends were playing it on Thanksgiving, and then...wait...is that?...oh no he didn't...SPACEHOG?!?! Spacehog has been my "hey, remember the 90s" obsession for a few months now.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I downloaded the new album and I'm 3/4 of the way through it. I can decide if it's a joke; brilliant; or a brilliant joke.

There've been more than a few moments that had me in awe - "Hey Ladies" over "Lust for Life" for one - and a lot more that put a big smile on my face. And the steady rain of context-free bits & pieces of the last 40 years of popular music has it's own hypnotic force in & of itself.

I'm into it now. Let's see how I feel after a month.
    GO!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12