Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Thread: We have officially become inured to mass shootings.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: We have officially become inured to mass shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    edit

In other parts of the world people manage to deal with sticky situations without a pistol or shotgun or civilian AR15.

Listen, we know what needs to be done.......NOW. After Sandyhook I thought maybe......but no. Sadly, I still don't think the USA is ready yet.
    I've lived in other cultures and when it comes to crime or people defending themselves without guns, you have to consider their societal norms. I live in Sardinia and while there were local police, most people had the understanding that they were corrupt. The national police force, the Carabinieri was not corrupt and was very visible at all times. They also carried submachine guns and didn't have a strict set of rules with regards to arresting people. While I lived there, the Carabinieri was conducting a roadblock operation checking licenses, searching cars (no warrant needed), patting down folks, etc. A car drove past the roadblock almost hitting an officer. The driver and everyone in the car died in a hail of gunfire. Now imagine if that happened in the US. We have our freedoms that others don't, we're dealing with the consequences of those freedoms. It's a tough problem to solve.

And btw, all AR's (Armalite Rifle Company) are civilian. The military doesn't use them. My kid spent the summer carrying an M-4 which selects between single and rapid fire, can't buy that in a store.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    And btw, all AR's (Armalite Rifle Company) are civilian. The military doesn't use them. My kid spent the summer carrying an M-4 which selects between single and rapid fire, can't buy that in a store.
    With a Class 3 firearms license you can own automatic weapons.
    Don't know if you can buy an M4, but there is large selection of similar and more powerful ones on offer.
    Local club even has special area for full auto practice.
    The NRA didn't oppose the 1934 act that restricted the ownership of automatic weapons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    With a Class 3 firearms license you can own automatic weapons.
    Don't know if you can buy an M4, but there is large selection of similar and more powerful ones on offer.
    Local club even has special area for full auto practice.
    The NRA didn't oppose the 1934 act that restricted the ownership of automatic weapons.
    That's what I said in the post above yours. It is an expensive and difficult to obtain license. Tightly controlled. Are these automatic weapons being used in crimes or mass shootings? No. There's a range here where you can shoot full auto, either your own or rent one. But people who own those weapons represent the responsible ownership folks. But all of this conflates the subject of gun control. When folks through around words like "automatic weapons" as if they're the gun being used in shootings, it's just a display of ignorance of what actually exists and serves no purpose. If there was a ban or special license required for semi-automatic weapons, then the responsible gun owners would turn them in or obtain a license. The criminals and domestic terrorists don't really care, they have nothing to lose by keeping them.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com