User Tag List

Thread: Large party help – determining appropriate amount of meat to buy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Large party help – determining appropriate amount of meat to buy

So we’re having a get together next weekend for the twins’ 1st birthday. Expecting ~25 adults and ~25 kids (roughly equally distributed between ages 1-10), and since my wife always overdoes it on quantity, I at least want to get the meat part of the equation fairly accurate without grossly overdoing it.

We’ll be doing chicken nuggets for the smaller kids, but for the rest I am planning:
    - Brisket, to be cooked overnight Friday
    - Pulled pork, to be cooked starting early Saturday
    - Grilled/smoked chicken drumsticks, to be cooked midafternoon Saturday, smoked if there’s room on the Egg or otherwise grilled.

I’m thinking 75 drumsticks which works out to roughly 2 per person including the older kids, about ½ with a mild sauce and half spicier. These taste great cold as leftovers as well.

But for the larger meats, anyone have a good rule of thumb as to what amount I should end up with per person?
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Large party help – determining appropriate amount of meat to buy

With the drumsticks in mind, maybe 1/6 of a pound or the pork and beef... But that doesn't leave a lot of margin for error. I generally think that more is better than not enough so I'd probably do 1/4 -1/3 of a pound each and give any leftovers to the food pantry.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In food service 4oz after cooking was considered a generous planning number per person. Clearly, you could go as low as 1/2 that since you have multiple entrees.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do this quite a bit, cook for larger groups. 4oz cooked would be fine with the number of meats you have. and both of those (pork and brisket) shrink nearly 50%. Just me, and i'm always terrified of running out of food, you're chicken number is generous, and i'd go with two packers, say 15 to 18 lbs untrimmed, and maybe even two of the sam's club or costco pork butt/shoulder. i'm pretty sure they're about 13 to 15 lbs packages untrimmed. If you're looking for an outstanding pulled pork rub/sauce try cooks country south carolina rub/sauce. it's a mustard base and never disappoints and is relatively easy to pull off.
    if you'd like pm me and i'll send you recipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always keep a pack or two of decent (if there is such a thing) hot dogs or reserve in case I run out of the good stuff.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the above posters. With multiple selections, 4oz of protein per adult is a good ballpark.

You can save on the protein expense with nice, less expensive sides, which people love...baked beans, different salads, quality breads, etc.

Don't forget you will have 10-20% veggie only eaters. I love them, roasted veg are easy to prep, and please meat and non-meat
    eaters. Note- Roasted veggies...so good, and easy.

One hint, prep ahead as much as much as you can, cook ahead. Your guests want to talk to you, see you, not watch you run around. They are there
    for you and your wife, not the grill cook.

One bottle of good red for the cook, make it a good one.
    Hans Hagman
    Warwick, Rhode Island

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all between youse and some BGE forums I think I have my Calcs.
    And we are definitely cooking everything ahead of time. My life is crazy enough without putting on a party that I wouldn't get to enjoy. Brisket overnight on Friday, pork butts Sat am and people arriving after 4 in Saturday. All the sides are make ahead- in fact my wife is doing croquetas and pogaska as we speak.

Will post some pics if I think about it.
    my name is Matt