User Tag List

Thread: --"the green egg.."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default --"the green egg.."

--- sorry if i am asking a already answered/addressed conversation..

your thoughts on/for the above..
    just thinking about one on our covered/screened patio for tammy's use...., she is the gourmet chef in these quarters..

thanks with a ronnie smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: --"the green egg.."

They are Toot's approved.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The green egg is great. From pizza to Thanksgiving turkey we use ours. highly recommend. But they can get smokey so not sure it would work in a covered patio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are amazing. Takes some indulgence to learn how to set the fire and manage heat. they are not for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Too Tall;696708]They are amazing. Takes some indulgence to learn how to set the fire and manage heat. they are not for everyone.

================================================== =====............................

oh shit.., "not for everyone.."
    josh.., is this a bush-baked-bean "duke" warning??

&...

some-of-my components not like in past days..
    lack baller & baller ability..

"i can see, i can see..," the buzzards'a circling..

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not at all. They are nothing like a Weber, for instance.
    You will love it. My comment was ment to clarify that these puppies take getting used to.
    Check out some of the Big Green Egg web forums. There is always a new owner area where you can get more insight.

Strong buy

[QUOTE=ron l edmiston;696711]
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    They are amazing. Takes some indulgence to learn how to set the fire and manage heat. they are not for everyone.

================================================== =====............................

oh shit.., "not for everyone.."
    josh.., is this a bush-baked-bean "duke" warning??

&...

some-of-my components not like in past days..
    lack baller & baller ability..

"i can see, i can see..," the buzzards'a circling..

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've eaten a bit of food off a Green Egg and we were given a full night's worth of kool-aid. We just did a new built in grill outside and didn't have space for an integrated solution but certainly have the BGE on our list of required outdoor equipment.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was USAF in the early-mid 60s, stationed at Hickam AFB in Hawaii, I would work on transiting cargo aircraft coming from Japan on their way to the U.S. mainland. Invariably there were at least a handful of the green Kamodo cookers on each plane. Back then they were called "big green eggs" and the name was often used on the manifest as to what was aboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've cooked burgers, steaks, Boston butts, chickens, ribs and even a turducken on my BGE.

It's easy to get the temp set and it will hold that temperature ALL DAY without adding more fuel. I use natural lump charcoal and often add chunks of oak, hickory or mesquite.

You can smoke meats on it or slow barbeque or get it super hot for searing steaks or grilling vegetables. I've done a few casseroles on it, too. We cooked on it for a week straight when the tornadoes came through and wiped out power. Boiled coffee water on it, fried eggs and bacon in a skillet, and smoked a ham on it. Good times.

There's some competitors out there now; Kamado Joe is one of them. Different colors, accessories, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my BGE for about 6 months now and love it. It can handle everything from a quick high heat pizza to a 14 hour low brisket smoke and everything in between. As Josh said, they are a little different when it comes to getting them up to heat and managing the heat. That said, once you get the hang of it, it's more confidence inspiring than any other grill I've been around.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely incredible things. I've had one for 10 years now. These are many things whose taste can only be obtained via a BGE or its imitators. Smoked brisket. Pulled pork. Smoked pork belly. Babaganoush. Lamb kebabs. Spatchocked chicken. The first time you smoke a pork leg, you will smell it and think: "I have been waiting all my life for this."

IME, a very pleasant day can be spent by firing up a BGE in the morning, putting a pork leg on it and making small adjustments all day to the vents so that the temperature never deviates from 250. This will take 9 hours so you can put your feet up and read a book. Or put your bike(s) on a nearby stand. Clean the chain. Futz with the brakes and derailleurs. Wrap the bars. You have all day. Drink beer. The wannabe hipster in me says PBR works best.

If you buy one, the electric starter is a good idea, as is the ceramic setter and the stand and wheels (unless you are buying the very pricey but nice looking cedar work centre). I don't remember if the ash scraper comes standard but you really need one of these. And don't cheap out on charcoal. Where I live, BGE charcoal is the best, but your local guys likely have their favorites.