Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: --- oatmeal..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: --- oatmeal..

Try oatmeal risotto. Ingredients the same way as regular risotto, substituting steel cut oatmeal for the rice. You don't need to slowly add the stock though. All at once is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Try oatmeal risotto. Ingredients the same way as regular risotto, substituting steel cut oatmeal for the rice. You don't need to slowly add the stock though. All at once is fine.
    I'll second this idea. It tastes great! It also reheats way better than actual risotto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use vanilla flavored almond milk in mine, usually brown sugar and occasionally a spoon full of peanut butter.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    I use vanilla flavored almond milk in mine, usually brown sugar and occasionally a spoon full of peanut butter.
    substitute with any other nut butter... they all work well. I typically use cashew or almond butter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late to the party here, but some additional ideas

Since steel cut oats take so long to cook, make a big batch and then keep the leftovers in the fridge. Each morning scoop out and half a cup & reheat in the micro

Farro and quinoa up the protein content. I cook 1 cup steel cut oats, 1 cup quinoa and 1 cup farro at the same time (in different pans) , half hour cooking time for the oats & farro. Mix half of the cooked quinoa & farro with the oats and refrigerate; you now have breakfast made for the rest of the week. Set aside the reserved quinoa and farro you didn't mix into the oatmeal & keep in the fridge to add to salads- makes a nice lunch.

Add chopped nuts, cooked berries, cinnamon, flax and chia seeds, & hemp after you've heated the serving of oatmeal from the batch in your fridge.

I prefer oats cooked in water without milk, but that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSC_0369.jpgI buy oat grain and made the flakes myself with this flake maker, so totally "fresh-raw". They taste stronger. I add rice milk, chop a banana, add dates, nuts brown sugar and some cinnamon. You also can have them in milk in the fridge overnight so they will be softer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aingeru View Post
    DSC_0369.jpgI buy oat grain and made the flakes myself with this flake maker, so totally "fresh-raw". They taste stronger. I add rice milk, chop a banana, add dates, nuts brown sugar and some cinnamon. You also can have them in milk in the fridge overnight so they will be softer...
    Neat. Can you share info on that machine? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search this page for "Grain Flaker": KoMo Grain Mills Official Site: Wood cabinet European flour grinders by designers Wolfgang Mock & Peter Koidl

It may be a different brand (e.g. Hawos rather than KoMo), but it'll get you started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GAAP View Post
    Neat. Can you share info on that machine? thanks

go it from this german website: Flakers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If not steel cut then the largest flaked oats in sight...Simmer is the key for prep and enough water...For those longer days in the saddle I garnish with 2-3 hard boiled or scrambled eggs and then smother with a good dose of REAL maple syrup...This combo works and the eggs balance out the carb intake...Digest for 45 min and commence riding...

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not visually appealing by any stretch, but here's a today's breakfast.
    Steel cut oats simmered with a couple cinnamon sticks topped with honey and almond butter. Today we have blueberries on hand, so that's what we eat.

She sure seems to like it... I just hope she doesn't spit me out the back on our park adventures this morning. I'll need to refuel for sure before I ride this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cover three cups of rolled oats with water, add honey and cover for 45 minutes. Eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started making cracked farro for breakfast. I put a handful of dry farro in the cuisinart and spin (LOUD! TAKES A MINUTE OR SO) and the toast in a dry pan for a bit. Add 3x water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer slowly for about 20 minutes. I add a bit of milk or cream, a splash of maple syrup and some spices, dried fruit, etc. After 5 minutes more, cover and let sit for a few minutes. We both like this better than oats, so far!

20141215-photo-6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was breakfast. Start with 2:1 cream and oats with a knob of thyme butter, and a couple sprigs of thyme. While that's simmering, toast a small handful of walnuts and fry an egg (in this case fried in last night's burger grease including all the salty charred burger bits left on the cast iron). Top the oatmeal with the egg, walnuts, and some toasted flax seed and go to town. Was improvised because of what I had around but I would most definitely do it again.

image-1129977496.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boxerboxer View Post
    This was breakfast. Start with 2:1 cream and oats with a knob of thyme butter, and a couple sprigs of thyme. While that's simmering, toast a small handful of walnuts and fry an egg (in this case fried in last night's burger grease including all the salty charred burger bits left on the cast iron). Top the oatmeal with the egg, walnuts, and some toasted flax seed and go to town. Was improvised because of what I had around but I would most definitely do it again.

image-1129977496.jpg
    The fact that I have not previously inoculated oatmeal with burger grease may explain why I have never cared for oatmeal. Nice improvisation. Will try this.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12