Likes Likes:  0

Thread: mustard oil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default mustard oil

Why does the mustard oil we buy at the Indian grocery say "not for human consumption" on the label? We cook with it all the time, with no adverse effects so far. Any insights regarding the slightly disturbing label? Are there different grades of mustard oil, or has it just not been approved by the FDA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: mustard oil

That stuff from Milan? I don't know the answer to your question but there are a few "food" items labelled as such. If it's Milan just ask the guys; you'll either get epic obfuscation or clarity.

Better switch to ghee instead or...

This is interesting so googed it:

In India, mustard oil is often heated almost to smoking before it is used for cooking; this may be an attempt to reduce the strong smell and taste. However, high heat can damage the omega-3 in the oil, reducing its unique role in health. In Western countries, the oil is often sold "for external use only" in stores catering to Indian immigrants, since in North India, mustard oil is also used for rub-downs and massages (see ayurveda), thought to improve blood circulation, muscular development and skin texture; the oil is also antibacteria.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get it from Vik's but its probably the same stuff. It's used for massage and cooking; Wiki entry has an interesting bit about it being toxic to rats, but not proven toxic to people. Still doesn't explain the warning label. Anyway, its good stuff, you can get it really hot and it has an interesting flavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vik's - I'll bet it was in that stuff I had there last week. Still alive, but barely; that was incendiary!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use it in my bath to soak tired, wet, cold legs in during the winter.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    Vik's - I'll bet it was in that stuff I had there last week. Still alive, but barely; that was incendiary!
    I like Vik's but I get the masala dosa 90% of the time. Other stuff seems to be hit or miss. The only place I'd describe as incendiary around here would be Mission Chinese in the city. Almost everything on the menu is incendiary, in a good way. Must be popular cuz they just opened another one in NYC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    I like Vik's but I get the masala dosa 90% of the time. Other stuff seems to be hit or miss. The only place I'd describe as incendiary around here would be Mission Chinese in the city. Almost everything on the menu is incendiary, in a good way. Must be popular cuz they just opened another one in NYC.
    Masala, good to know.

From Mish Chinese's own website: "Mission Chinese Food serves Americanized Oriental Food and has locations in San Francisco and New York."

Ha!