Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions for Fat City people about the tube domer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Questions for Fat City people about the tube domer

The Fat City video that circulated recently made me want to try out something similar to the tube doming machine with my lathe. My initial attempt was promising, but I'd like to know some specifics.
    What was the die made out of, and how exactly was it shaped? I couldn't really tell from the video.
    I got some minor galling on the surface of the tube, was that normal for you guys or did yours turn out smooth?
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Questions for Fat City people about the tube domer

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    The Fat City video that circulated recently made me want to try out something similar to the tube doming machine with my lathe. My initial attempt was promising, but I'd like to know some specifics.
    What was the die made out of, and how exactly was it shaped? I couldn't really tell from the video.
    I got some minor galling on the surface of the tube, was that normal for you guys or did yours turn out smooth?
    Ask Jeff at Sputnik, He operated that machine... and possibly invented it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got to play with that machine a bit when it was moved to NY and frankly it was effective if very crude. It had a torch set up that heated the tube to about one zillion degrees (very bright glowing red) and then you turned a handle pushing a rather dull chunk of metal at a 45° across the tube. This formed the tube into a cone by hot forming it. There was always a red hot remnant chunk that would fly across the room and smolder in a corner threatening to burn the place to the ground.

The machine worked and was simple enough but better results could be had by having small cones turned on a CNC lathe and then welded into the end of the stay. Then it was slotted and a dropout installed. Much less heat, much less soot cooked into the tube and a much cleaner finish - and it was even cheaper to weld in the cones.

But it was fun to play with. OSHA didn't like it much with the red hot stuff flying around.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$4.50 worth of love: Welcome to Paragon Machine Works - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave is correct. You are better off with the Paragon units. The domer heated the tube end so much it didn't weld so great after. The insert was carbide if i remember correctly. The domer was old when Jeff got there. I remember him riding his skateboard to work. I don't think he said anything for about a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you would also need "the penetrator" to get the chip out after you slot it.
    The qualities you are looking for in a leader include: Does the individual have the respect of the men? How do you get the respect of the men? By living with them, being a part of it, being able to understand what they are going through and not to separate yourself from them. You have to know your men. You have to gain their confidence. And the way to gain the confidence of anybody, whether it’s in war or civilian life or whatever, you must be honest. Be honest, be fair and be consistent. You can’t be honest and fair one day, and the next give your people the short end of the stick. Once you can achieve that, you will be a leader.

Dick Winters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt I'll actually make stays for a frame doing this, the tubes that are available these days are more than adequate for what I build. I'm just insanely curious about the process. I saw it and had one of those "Whoa cool, I gotta try that" moments.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt I'll actually make stays for a frame doing this, the tubes that are available these days are more than adequate for what I build. I'm just insanely curious about the process. I saw it and had one of those "Whoa cool, I gotta try that" moments.
    I hear you Eric, I had thougt to try it just to try it using an old block style , 4 sided tool holder on my lathe. I have a project going that I could use it on as it would go into a plate/bmx style dropout with no slotting needed.