Thread: Vehicles --- Subaru

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vehicles --- Subaru

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Head gasket replacement is considered routine maintenance.

Poor mileage.

Lackadaisical acceleration.

They made a good car when it had a transfer case back in the day.

To Avoid Fuel Limits, Subaru Is Turning a Sedan Into a Truck - The New York Times

They are popular regardless.
    But they're "good in the snow". Marketing is a hell of a drug...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had three Subarus (two Forester XTs and an Outback) and find them functional and comfortable to drive, especially on the highway. Fuel economy on the first XT wasn't great, but vastly improved on the second. The Outback isn't great either economy wise around town, but it is the 6 cylinder version. It will be interesting to see how the turbo version goes when it is released. I've had none of the mechanical issues identified, but the battery in both cars died recently (one was age and a lack of driving due to the virus and the other was a light being left on inside). I think I prefer the Outback driving wise (save for soft suspension), but it is always fun to put your foot down with the turbo on the Forester.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    When the Outback dies, we will be forced to make a decision on a suitable replacement option.
    We decided to do open heart surgery (aka Head Gasket replacement) on our 2009 with 108,419 miles on it. For many reasons it made more sense to fix it rather than wait for it to die and replace it. Also getting new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, sway bar bushings, stabilizer end links, and some other suspension stuff.

It was disconcerting to see the engine-out and in pieces...

Attachment 116540

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez, every place I go there is a thread about the hell that Subaru owners go through.
    I'm on the 23rd year of my Nissan with 200 K.
    I've replaced exhaust, tires,brakes and an AC belt that exploded.
    Other than that oil changes.
    Sure it looks like hell but you can't kill it.
    If I had to worry that much about my vehicle I wouldn't own one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the size, ride, and utility of my '18 Outback. I don't like some of the finishes and items that are under constant recall (fuel gauge estimation, fuel pump, info-tainment system, squeaky seats, etc). It should be a little more "put together" for a $40K vehicle. It also dings like a soda can. I don't think I'll buy another one - maybe a 4Runner for me next.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand the love for Subaru.

Truly :
    - they don't handle especially nice (even the sporty STI ones are awful understeering pigs in stock setting)
    - they aren't reliable
    - their fuel consumption is bad
    - they look like shit

A lot of people are irrationnally thinking they need AWD vehicles and all season tires, which really suck all seasons, to get security in winter while what they truly need is to change tires in autumn for proper winter tires. AWD vehicles don't give you any additionnal lateral grip and won't save your ass in an icy corner. It will just make your car heavier (and thus marginally more dangerous on ice) and make it consume more gas for the same mileage. AWD vehicules are only interesting if you have to climb steep inclines in very low grip situation (mud, snow, ice), but it is only useful to the tiny fraction of the population that does offroad or have to climb that 18% gradient all winter to reach their chalet in the mountain.

Smart people save their money and just buy a set of winter tires for their less expensive and more efficient 2WD car.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-06-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about that. I sort feel more comfortable in our AWD with studded snows in Montana Winters. Maybe it is just me cause we don't have to go anywhere when the conditions are bad as we are retired. But getting to the xc ski areas are much nicer in the AWD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The studded tires do most of the work really.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion a properly set up AWD system makes the car handle much better when you're accelerating in corners but right now I'm driving a FWD Volvo that is utterly unstoppable with fresh Hakkas all around - until you want to stop *now*. Then hang on, Aunt Millie or you're heading out the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a V70 wagon and live on Trouble Street- seriously- a very steep hill with a sharp turn at the bottom bounded by large Sugar Maples. One winter evening I was driving down the hill with wife and child and when I checked my brakes before the turn I found there was no adhesion whatsoever. Ice. I kept my head up, my eye on where I wanted to go, threaded the needle between the trees missing the telephone pole as well and out into space briefly before landing in deep snow and blueberry bushes. I hit the gas so the car wouldn't bog down, made my way to the break in the stone wall and back out onto pavement. At which point my wife burst into tears.

I credit riding a track bike for whatever instinct kicked in. I was used to having no brakes and finding my way out of tight spots.

After this we put snows on the car.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't understand the love for Subaru.

Truly :
    - they don't handle especially nice (even the sporty STI ones are awful understeering pigs in stock setting)
    - they aren't reliable
    - their fuel consumption is bad
    - they look like shit
    As off base as this ^^^^^ is, I'm going to assume it's a legitimate post and reply accordingly:

1) I actually think my Impreza hatchback (not WRX, not STI) handles surprisingly well. It isn't a race car, but for the curvy roads I drive every day it's lots of fun. How much should one expect? It's a stock family car, not a prepped auto-crosser.

2) Mine hasn't been quite as incredibly reliable as my '97 Integra (aka greatest car ever made) but in the 145k miles I've put on it so far (it's a 2014) the only significant issue has been the right rear wheel bearing, which wasn't that expensive to replace.

3) I get 35 mpg per tank on mildly aggressive driving, and about 2/3 highway, 1/3 surface roads.

4) I agree, not the sexiest looking 5-door out there, but not horrible.

Bottom line, if I had to do it all over again I'd get either the model I got, or the WRX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SVX was a good looking Subie.
    Subaru's are the official state car of Vermont.

svx.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    2017 WRX STi. Probably not the most reasonable or reliable option out there, but you should get one because AWD and a big turbo is fun!
    2019 WRX STi for me. Sensibly driven daily.

Sean Patrick Smith
    Lead Hobbyist
    Easkey Bikes
    Modesto, CA USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean in CA View Post
    2019 WRX STi for me. Sensibly driven daily.
    Safe to assume you're only stating "sensibly driven" to leave no paper trail of your exploits? I don't drive much these days given the whole global pandemic thing, but despite the comments above, I still always have a huge smile when I drive mine.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Safe to assume you're only stating "sensibly driven" to leave no paper trail of your exploits? I don't drive much these days given the whole global pandemic thing, but despite the comments above, I still always have a huge smile when I drive mine.
    * Weekends are different. ;)

Sean Patrick Smith
    Lead Hobbyist
    Easkey Bikes
    Modesto, CA USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some time ago I had a WRX sports wagon. I was my daily driver and also 3x a year it took us from London to the continent and back. The children used to sleep nearly all the way. The car never missed a beat. Just routine maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had a Forester from 2010 to 2013. It was good in the PNW snow and that was about it. It had the 4 cylinder and poor acceleration which I could live with since it got poor mileage (around 24-25 mpg) for a small car. My bigass Ford Expedition that I drive now gets 23 mpg. We recently did a trip to Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. We had a 2020 Ford Focus Titanium rental. It had a 2.0L EcoBoost engine with AWD, adaptive cruise control, and lane holding. It accelerated much like my Expedition, which is a rocketship, and got 32 mpg for the trip. The Titanium trim retails around $34K. My Expedition goes to Ford next week for engine recall repair. In October, it gets traded in on a Focus. The Focus has a class II hitch so my Kuat will fit.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drive a 2019 Outback with the 3.6 6 cylinder.

I like it just fine. I also don’t drive like I wish Mario Andretti was my grand-dad. I am a mostly retired 60 year old CPA/Bankruptcy Trustee. I drive like that.

I got the first of the 2019’s - I wanted the metallic grey, I specified the trim level I wanted (the trim levels in Canada and the USare different, but I got the second from the top of the line - that car only came in brown, with brown interior) - there were no 2018’s on the lot that matched what I asked for but there was one on the truck arriving end of week. I got that one.

I honestly don’t remember right now what my mileage is but it surprised me a bit as being better than I expected given all the things I had read. The car is comfy, it has bags of power and is great on the highway.

I read lots about the head gasket issue so got in touch with a former neighbour who had been service manager at the Subaru dealer. He told me it really wasn’t an issue post 2014, but before that it was. He also told me it was a non-issue with the 6 cylinder.

I have about 31k miles on it, I am not sure yet, but I think I may keep it.

BigBill - I thought Ford weren’t selling sedans anymore? Or is that just in Canada? That 2.0L coboost is the same engine as in Ger’s Escape. It goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    BigBill - I thought Ford weren’t selling sedans anymore? Or is that just in Canada? That 2.0L coboost is the same engine as in Ger’s Escape. It goes.
    In the US, Escape is a small SUV unless you rent it from National, then it's a mid size SUV. My son has a 2018 with the 1.5L Ecoboost (assuming is coboost in Canadia). The 2.0 Ecoboost is 260 HP. I don't need the big SUV, I can trade it in and with a little cash added on, have no car payment and a new car. I want to be semi-retired in two years and just teach American History in community college.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Escape is the same vehicle here. It is sold with 2 (actually now 3 - added a hybrid) engine choices.

2.5 L normally aspirated 4 cylinder.

2.0 L Ecoboost - this is the 260 HP, this is what Ger has in the Escape. It’s kind of a little pocket rocket of an SUV.

I “think” the only place you can get the 1.5 L engine in Canada is in the Ecosport - the teeny tiny suv style thing that is about the size of a Fiat 500.

They added the hybrid to the Escape line up this year but it is a hybrid version of the 2.5 L - I am not going to be shopping that engine choice. Sadly.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast