Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAHBS thingie....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NAHBS thingie....

Since I was laid up, on my back, etc. during the time of this post, I didnt get a chance to respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    Something like this was being considered a few years back in association with NAHBS. The idea we were floating with DW was to have Friday during the day be a true industry day for press and the such and then Friday evening the show would be open as a black-tie event. Jazz quartet, Champagne, fine food on tooth picks...... the full schmere. It would be expensive to get in the door but those who chose to would get an uncrowded hall with lots of face time with the builders.

If you run the numbers it would be possible for DW to bring in more money with this scheme and the builders/customers would have more time to really talk. Seems like a win/win and DW was signed up for it two years ago but then changed his mind. I don't know why he changed but he did.

Anyway this seems like a way to get your idea done. I doubt most of us can take the time away from biz for two trips a year (NAHBS and Builder's Ball) so tying it in with NAHBS would make sense.

dave

Yes, I had talked about it several times with a few folks. The problem is/was that no one was interested in purchasing tickets for said event, so it went by the wayside.

It has to have support from all exhibitors and then it will grass roots outward...

Is it possible to do it? I would hope so, but who knows?

DW

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post

It has to have support from all exhibitors and then it will grass roots outward...

DW

speaking of roots, since we have 10-12 months to discuss it, i propose
    trying to get some of the genie back in the bottle and making nahbs a
    framebuilder-centric event, a retreat of sorts, as opposed to going the
    other direction and becoming even more of a consumer affair and trade
    show. but that's just me atmo. no need for convention centers, high
    costs, and carpeted aisles. ps for the record, i'll go with the flow, and
    am only expressing my personal opinion here. in short (yeah, right) let's
    take it more to a museum aesthetic and away from the car show look.

ducking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I had talked about it several times with a few folks. The problem is/was that no one was interested in purchasing tickets for said event, so it went by the wayside.

Is it possible to do it? I would hope so, but who knows?

DW
    I predict a field of dreams...if you build it they will come...I had no idea anything like this was in the works. I bought my tux for my wedding last summer...I need to ammortorize it over a few more wearings please.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the "less is more" approach?

I think the bar has been raised for the industry.

I think the surroundings, i.e. the carpeted aisles, the pipe and drape, etc. have a professional appearance and help to keep the bar raised. Its a professional look for the attendees, one I think they appreciate.

just my opinion tho.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the "less is more" approach?

I think the bar has been raised for the industry.

I think the surroundings, i.e. the carpeted aisles, the pipe and drape, etc. have a professional appearance and help to keep the bar raised. Its a professional look for the attendees, one I think they appreciate.

just my opinion tho.

DW

then it's even so far.
    one vote for austerity.
    one vote for shmaltz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    then it's even so far.
    one vote for austerity.
    one vote for shmaltz.

Define "shmaltz" please? :D

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Define "shmaltz" please? :D

DW
    excess.
    distractions.
    inconsistent signage.
    3 color piping.
    framebuilders pretending to be "industry".
    bowling trophies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i attended the seattle bike expo this last weekend - talk about an exercise in austerity:

running water through both tents, wet carpets, electrical UNDER the carpet, no heat (except for the sponsor's booths), flickering electricity (duh), six sani-cans with a line in the driving rain.

i like don's pipe-and-drape show just fine, imho.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    i attended the seattle bike expo this last weekend - talk about an exercise in austerity:

running water through both tents, wet carpets, electrical UNDER the carpet, no heat (except for the sponsor's booths), flickering electricity (duh), six sani-cans with a line in the driving rain.

well if that's the alternative, i'd opt for shmaltz too atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    Thanks Hamp!

so, its 2-1 now... take that Richie!

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ducking.
    just to be the devil's advocate {nothing against you, richard} since you've closed your que and only sell building bobs to established builders couldn't you park a bike in the columbus/cane creek/SRAM booth and roam the halls at will, beverage in hand? sounds like allot more fun to me. you put allot of effort into your booth presentation {which always looks killer} and like allot of work. boy, i would if i could. for conversations' sake, just sayin'....... Steve "i don't like bowling trophys, either" Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ducking.
    +1, I like the idea of a museum aesthetic and a non-Sema look. If I remember correctly most museums are housed indoors with heat and electricity...

30" rims on a Hummer anyone?

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conorb View Post
    +1, I like the idea of a museum aesthetic and a non-Sema look. If I remember correctly most museums are housed indoors with heat and electricity...

30" rims on a Hummer anyone?

Conor
    I hear 30" wheels roll smoother than 29ers.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So DW - in what city will we not be having the black tie event this next year? Word on the street is Erie Pa.

dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    So DW - in what city will we not be having the black tie event this next year? Word on the street is Erie Pa.

dave
    Dammit! Who let the cat out of the bag?????

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Sachs in that the show doesn't have to be "conventional" for it to be professional. I talked to some other builders that were in Seattle last weekend and it sounded like the least professional show imaginable. In the past, Seattle has been more of a traditional pipe & drape affair, this year sounded more like a drain pipe affair.

This conversation is really about what NAHBS is at it's core. Right now NAHBS focus seems to be too much on the person wandering around the aisle. I know that these are the prospective customers of the builders, and it just makes more sense if the builders take care of them.

NAHBS should view the builders as it's customer. Make it easier to ship huge crates of bikes across the country. Rent a warehouse and a truck to avoid the convention center thieves who charge $400 to move a box.

I really love going to the show, it is a lot of work, but it's very rewarding. After deciding late that we couldn't afford to miss Indy, Nate and I are going to make sure we attend every year.

It's good to keep this conversation going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    I agree with Sachs in that the show doesn't have to be "conventional" for it to be professional. I talked to some other builders that were in Seattle last weekend and it sounded like the least professional show imaginable. In the past, Seattle has been more of a traditional pipe & drape affair, this year sounded more like a drain pipe affair.

This conversation is really about what NAHBS is at it's core. Right now NAHBS focus seems to be too much on the person wandering around the aisle. I know that these are the prospective customers of the builders, and it just makes more sense if the builders take care of them.

NAHBS should view the builders as it's customer. Make it easier to ship huge crates of bikes across the country. Rent a warehouse and a truck to avoid the convention center thieves who charge $400 to move a box.

I really love going to the show, it is a lot of work, but it's very rewarding. After deciding late that we couldn't afford to miss Indy, Nate and I are going to make sure we attend every year.

It's good to keep this conversation going.
    Matt,

I do look for the best value for my exhibitors. I have always based this show on the reality of "can I afford it?" myself. $400 for drayage is, in reality, isnt that much. Its a price per pound and I negotiated a better price from the get go.

I offered my shop as a receiving point for those who wanted to ship boxes (not pallets) to the show. I only have so much room and no pallet jack or forklift to move that stuff. The last few years, we have had local businesses sponsor the show in this aspect. 06-07 it was Phil Wood, 08 it was Chris King and this year it was my shop. It was alot of work, but it helped save the builders money from shipping it to the decorator.

Anyhow, all of this is relevent to keeping costs low so its a better value for the exhibitors.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was alot of work, but it helped save the builders money from shipping it to the decorator.
    they did ship it to the decorator atmo.
    meant with love...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt,

I do look for the best value for my exhibitors. I have always based this show on the reality of "can I afford it?" myself. $400 for drayage is, in reality, isnt that much. Its a price per pound and I negotiated a better price from the get go.

I offered my shop as a receiving point for those who wanted to ship boxes (not pallets) to the show. I only have so much room and no pallet jack or forklift to move that stuff. The last few years, we have had local businesses sponsor the show in this aspect. 06-07 it was Phil Wood, 08 it was Chris King and this year it was my shop. It was alot of work, but it helped save the builders money from shipping it to the decorator.

Anyhow, all of this is relevent to keeping costs low so its a better value for the exhibitors.

DW
    Thanks Don,

I know it's a lot of work, and I'm sure the drayage fees were low compared to other conventions. But for little ol' signal, all those fees and upcharges add up, especially when we had to scrape the dough together to make it happen. The fees for the convention center were higher than the cost of pickup, shipping 2000 miles, dropoff, and insurance. Kinda crazy eh?

On one hand I know the dollars spent on attending NAHBS are by far the best $ we can spend on marketing. An ad in some glossy monthly can't compete.

The other hand wonders if we really need a three day convetion show, and all that goes along with it to tell the story of handmade bikes.

Again Don, thank you for all you do for the builders. This is meant only as a constructive conversation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    Thanks Don,

I know it's a lot of work, and I'm sure the drayage fees were low compared to other conventions. But for little ol' signal, all those fees and upcharges add up, especially when we had to scrape the dough together to make it happen. The fees for the convention center were higher than the cost of pickup, shipping 2000 miles, dropoff, and insurance. Kinda crazy eh?

On one hand I know the dollars spent on attending NAHBS are by far the best $ we can spend on marketing. An ad in some glossy monthly can't compete.

The other hand wonders if we really need a three day convetion show, and all that goes along with it to tell the story of handmade bikes.

Again Don, thank you for all you do for the builders. This is meant only as a constructive conversation.
    Matt,

Its all good. I do all that I can to keep the costs within reach of as many as I can. Obviously, when travel is involved, it does become more expensive.
    But, another look at it would say "you didnt have any travel costs last year, so average the cost of the two years..." :D

Take that comment with a smile, please...

DW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast