Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i now stand at my desk all day

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default i now stand at my desk all day

and have been doing so for about 3 wks. i like it quite a bit, better energy and all that. i am curious about what others have experienced. anyone?
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: i now stand at my desk all day

There are days I spend most of my work time at a standup desk. Adjustable height deal. I really like it. To keep myself from sitting as much I just keep a counter stool there rather than a nice comfortable office chair.
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a stand up desk for 7 years now. I try to sit as little as possible. My lower back is so much better for making the switch. Riding has improved dramatically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy I work with started using a standing desk a year ago. He swears by it. My company has gotten on board too, so anyone who wants one can put in a request to get their desk converted. What do you folks do for shoes? My feet really start to hurt if I'm standing for more than a couple hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just converted my office to a standing desk about a month ago. Not using it 100% of the time, but for several hours each day at least. I think the answer to the foot question is a good anti-fatigue mat. That, and wearing shoes with good arch support. I also try to move around as I'm standing, doing toe raises sometimes to use different muscles and help with blood flow. Haven't bought a mat yet, but plan to soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    What do you folks do for shoes?
    Dansko clogs. Ugly as hell, but they work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an anti-fatigue mat, Keen shoes/sandals and move around a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    A guy I work with started using a standing desk a year ago. He swears by it. My company has gotten on board too, so anyone who wants one can put in a request to get their desk converted. What do you folks do for shoes? My feet really start to hurt if I'm standing for more than a couple hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand all day at the shop but I have a crappy stool (lol) at the computer/register.
    I can tell you that the shoes make the most difference when it comes to standing up on a concrete floor all day -8 hours in boat shoes really kills the feet.
    I've also been known to ride a few laps around the store to keep the blood flowing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it's casual
    take off them shoes and stand on your toes and/or side of your feet a couple minutes every hour
    trying to get my mother to rock the stand-up desk--suffers from leg cramping and general fatigue, but not on the weekends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like I may have to start working in the kitchen from time to time. Closer to the fridge and the crumbs will fall on the floor rather than my lap. Sounds like a win/win/win.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since an elevated desk isn't an option at my office, i'm curious if anyone uses a kneeling style chair like this: BetterPosture Classic Wood Kneeling Chair - Visco-elastic Memory Foam

that should encourage more upright posture, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    if it's casual
    take off them shoes and stand on your toes and/or side of your feet a couple minutes every hour
    It's not...unfortunately. The anti-fatique mat might be the first thing to try while keeping the "dress code" at my office. I work at an IT company, and depending on your role the expected attire varies greatly. I'm not an engineer or support rep, so I don't think I can get away with Keens. Not sure I'm ready to commit to the clogs yet. I appreciate the suggestions though and might give the mat a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does standing up for large parts of the day factor into the whole bike racing, "don't stand if you can sit, don't sit when you can lay down," thing? I agree sitting sucks for us office schmucks, but is standing all day actually better? Leg fatigue? Since we don't get paid to ride 40 hours a week are the circulation/back benefits worth the possibly less rested legs?

I actually built a stand up desk at home with some recommendations from vsalon folks. If it wasn't covered in books and paper I might even take a photo of it. I haven't used it much as an actual stand up desk, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    How does standing up for large parts of the day factor into the whole bike racing, "don't stand if you can sit, don't sit when you can lay down," thing? I agree sitting sucks for us office schmucks, but is standing all day actually better? Leg fatigue? Since we don't get paid to ride 40 hours a week are the circulation/back benefits worth the possibly less rested legs?

I actually built a stand up desk at home with some recommendations from vsalon folks. If it wasn't covered in books and paper I might even take a photo of it. I haven't used it much as an actual stand up desk, though.

The argument for the standing desk is that when sitting you metabolism slows down significantly (Stand Up While You Read This! - NYTimes.com), which is bad for your cardiovascular system and your overall metabolism in terms of weight gain. You burn so few calories sitting that it is easy to put on extra weight.

I have a standing desk contraption( Ergotron Products>Office>Sit-Stand Adjustment>Workstations) that allows me to alternate between standing and sitting. I probably spend about 80% of the time standing. Since making the change I have lost some weight and regained back and leg flexibility which can only help my riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post

i'd like to see it!
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like some others here, I deal with a dress code that is a moving target. Some days it's a suit..some days jeans, and acordingly...some days are spent in loooong meetings and some days are on-the-go. I am a desk jockey by strict definiton...but I walk around a lot. Try not to sit for more then an hour at a shot. Side note but relevent; I do not eat lunch on a workday. Keeps me sharper and thinner. Breakfast early ...then very light snack around 2:30, then wait until dinner. Keeps the weight off. Circulation, bad back, bad feet, etc.. I can't help you with. Several of the programmers who work in my org use those semi-kneeling chairs and they love 'em. I've not seen any "standing desks" in my company. Seems like for some jobs, they'd work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    [/I][/B]

i'd like to see it!
    By desk I really meant "big slab of old-growth wood that I sanded the crap out of and attached Ikea adjustable height legs to."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my fifth day of standing and, while I really like it, I find that I'm more tired. I assume there's an adjustment period. Anyone else experience this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mshue View Post
    This is my fifth day of standing and, while I really like it, I find that I'm more tired. I assume there's an adjustment period. Anyone else experience this?
    It took me a couple of weeks to get where I could stand the majority of the day. I still take periodic breaks from 10-15 minutes to sit and rest my legs. You appreciate sitting much more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aaronv View Post
    You appreciate sitting much more.
    You aren't kidding!

I'm committed to standing nonetheless. Nearly 20 years of sitting all day has shortened up my pelvic and upper leg muscles resulting in lower back and hip pain that I've never before experienced. It's conceptually like compound interest, except that it sucks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast