Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for costal Maine holiday ideas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking for costal Maine holiday ideas

See if you can get on a sailboat, something on the small side (25'-40'). This will do a cple things: get you away from tourists, and, more importantly, let you see the coast and thus what all the fuss about Maine is all about! ha hah If you find yourself in Camden just ask around and yer bound to find a word-of-mouth "charter", which is really just someone w/a sailboat and maybe a 6-pack license. Camden is crowded in Summer, but it's kind of worth it in that: it's beautiful (climb Mount Battie - you'll get it), great eats, it's a great jumping off point for quieter scenic nature-y areas. Ferry rides are great as well, wherever they are, just jump on and see what you see. When are you headed here?
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to do the balancing act of work and play. Thinking of late August unless that's a really bad time. Sailboat/ferry idea rocks.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late August is probably the best time weather-wise, but also peak tourist time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Yes, the weather in late August is perfect. I dare say - hot! You might look/stay around Lincolnville, which is a short drive from Camden and there is a cool ferry there: check here for other ferries/destinations Islesboro Ferry | Maine State Ferry Service. If you do find yourself there and like to camp, go here: State Parks and Public Lands: Maine ACF - Search Results. I'm not a big camper, but I have spent a few days out there, and it's pretty dam cool. The campsites have bathrooms and firepits. I swam all over the place out there. No ferry service, but ask around and I'n betting you can find a ride out there pretty quick. If yer thinking mid-coast, let me know and I might be able to find you a cottage to rent and can point you in the direction of all kinds of places, off the beaten path and other.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll second the Rockland/Camden area. Also, look at Port Clyde. Possibly my favorite little town and near a lot. Stayed at a B&B there and there's a kayak guide right across the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking to stretch your legs a bit the walk out to the Rockland Breakwater Light is worth a visit. (assuming the weather's better than below)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't ask if you had kids. If you do, this is the thing to do: Family Summer Camp Retreat Center Medomak Washington Maine

We went after my wife saw a tiny little ad for the place in the NYT travel section. I figured it would either be a complete disaster or the best thing ever. We ended up going for 4 seasons as 'campers' and then my wife & daughter worked there for another 3 summers. It's simply one of my favorite places.

081804_panarama_v3.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    We ended up going for 4 seasons as 'campers' and then my wife & daughter worked there for another 3 summers. It's simply one of my favorite places.
    Jason's simply lulling you into complacency. I'd be careful if I were you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we just got back from Acadia. We stayed at Blackwater Campgrounds for 3 nights. If you ask me, its the perfect place to stay, the other campgrounds seem to be way out there. 35 miles on the carriage roads was great for tboth me and my girlfriend, no one on them except the know busy areas. Loop road and the Cadilac climb was awesome, but I'd suggest earlier in the morning, even this time of the year it was pretty packed. Yesterday we did the Beehive hike, and went down to sand beach, also beautiful, but once again, by the time we were leaving it was packed, its the only sand beach in the area. I REALLY would suggest trying to see the park by bikes, even if its just rentals and you want to go for a cruise in sneakers and regular atire. We didnt move the car from when we got there until we left. When we left we drove out on a lot of the same roads we rode, both of us agreed it was nearly as spectacular in the car.

Photos to come.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wife and I are finally doing this. We leave Saturday early and get to Portland around noon. Plan for now is still hazy, we're thinking about making the Camden /Rockland area our home base and day tripping from there. Bar Harbor, Acadia, ferry rides, hopefully a sailboat and light hiking. We will head back to Portland Friday night for a Sat. return.

As always, I am very open to suggestions.

Pics when we get back.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dinner at Primos is always good; if you are going to be staying in Rockland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    As always, I am very open to suggestions.
    I always recommend the Big Chicken Barn in Ellsworth. If you're into browsing books it's a can't miss.

Big Chicken Barn Books & Antiques - Maine Tourism Association

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12