Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Italian pasta recipe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Favorite Italian pasta recipe?

A question for those of you who have been to the promised land. What was the best way you had pasta prepared in Italy? Was it with a red sauce in southern Italy? A Bolognese prepared with beef, veal and pork? A primaverra in the spring? Something really tasty, regional and unique? I'm wanting to expand my pasta portfolio, so I need a new recipe to try..
    Flux, how did team Saeco like their noodles? I heard that Andrea Tafi didn't put the cheese on his noodles at the end of his career as it was just too fattening..
    Last night I tossed some gnocchi with some zucchinni, diced tomatoes with a pesto my sweet girl_friend! made. It was yummy. Sorry for the crummy pix. We always eat after dark..

Love,

Shino
    Last edited by Shinomaster; 12-14-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

shino ... the gf loves gnocchi. please post your recipe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    My GF or yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simplicity at the Z'Martino on one of Andy H's trip: handmade stuffed pasta - very similar to ravioli but they had a different name that I'm spacing. Spinach and fresh ricotta stuffing. Sauced with really, really good local olive oil. Extra olive oil on the table (which, with Andy's lead, we were soon putting on everything except the tiramisu!).

Last weekend in Jackson Hole I had Gnocchi - not so good but a great sauce - olive oil, browned butter, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil, mascapone cheese. Yumm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My regional favorite is pizzoccheri, buckwheat pasta with potatoes, chard, fontina, garlic, and butter. Ate this after long rides when I lived in the Valtellina, north of Como. Very heavy, but good winter mountain food.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last week in Italy I had the pleasure of eating at a locals only (I say this literally---if you are not from the neighborhood, they will not invite you in...) I think the secret is in the simplicity as well as the fresh factor. Homemade pasta, with locally made olive oil and basil...with a locally grown nut (pine? I doubt). In general, pasta is not a main course for dinner.

It was a Pesto---but not pesto. Fresh and homemade being key. If it were America, I would have added some California sun-dried tomatoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    mine. i'd like to make it for her ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

greg: "tortelloni", no? or were they "agnolottoi"? i learned how to make them last time i was at ZM; six hours in that kitchen taught me a year's worth of italian cooking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve,

tortelloni, grazie! Is "grandpa" still in the cellar running the pasta machine? Does that guy have some mitts on him or what from kneading dough for 40 years!

I've still got our recipes from the cooking class - stuffed boned rabbit, tiramisu ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

impressive hands, indeed.

and his brother at the front desk raced pro with nencini, bobet, and bartali... what a family.
    Last edited by hampco; 07-03-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: testing my god-like powers on the internets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ravioli is fun to make. Every shape and construction has a different name.
    Last edited by Shinomaster; 12-14-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got two all time favs. and no name for either.

First is pasta with sardines, garlic and pine nuts.
    1. In a large heavy non reactive pan slowly heat olive oil and one can of sardine packed in oil. Drain the oil, put the sardines into the warm oil and let warm thru.
    2. Add several cloves of finely minced garlic to the oil. Use a wooden spoon to mash the sardines, garlic until the sardines completely dissolve.
    3. toss some pignoli nuts in a pan until lightly toasted set aside
    4. Add fav. pasta to pan raise heat and toss thru for a few mins.
    5. Plate and garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley and curls of the king of cheeses P.R. Helllloooo Nurse :)

Second is fried pasta with eggs!

1. In a large nonstick pan or heavy cast iron heat left over pasta in olive oil.
    Toss to coat with hot pepper flakes, pepper and leave on med. heat. Also toss in chunks of sausage or bacon or any smoked meat that is left over from prev. meal or pre-cooked for this dish...toss thru. Continue to heat until you can lift an edge and see browning all under the pasta.

2. Time for the eggs!!! Make a nest in the *middle of the pasta and add two fresh organic eggs and cover the pan. Leave alone for 5 mins. *The nest should be broad and depressed enough to get your eggs closer to heat of the pan.

3. Plate and garnish with pepper and flat leaf parsley and extra hot pepper flakes. Served with a cold beer...ah he!!! yeah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cantelope sauce with black pepper Tagliatelli

I've never been to Italy but this is one of my favorite summer pasta recipes, when the catelope is juicy and sweet.... It's from The Classic Pasta Cookbook by Giuliano Hazan.

Cut the rind off a cantelope, slice it into smallish chucks and throw it in a pan with enough butter to coat. Cook it down until it releases all its water and all the water evaporates (this can take a while). After the waters gone, add some cream, a little tomato paste (for color mostly) and lemon juice and lots of black pepper. Toss that with some black pepper Tagliatelli and some fresh grated Parm. mmmmm....

if you're a stickler for measurements, I can hook you up when I get home...

jimi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shino, if you have not already done so, get a copy "Heat" by Bill Buford. Great stories about making fresh pasta, butchering a pig, etc. etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yum those sound good, but I can't do sardines as the GF is a vegetarian. I love to saute cubes of butternut squash in a pan with some garlic, sage and butter. I add a bit of cream and reduce it a bit and then toss in some chopped tomatoes, Reggiano, and spinach leaves, and toss with macaroni like penne or rigatoni. Sometimes I'll throw on some gorgonzolla crumbles and crushed walnuts too..Really rich but worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's very interesting about the squash....it's one of the wife's fav. flavors. I cook spanish pumpkin chunks with plain EVO, pepper, touch butter, salt, and a splash of honey. Don't mess with it, just let the chunks carmelize than serve over simple pasta or brown rice. Get's a Bronx cheer everytime.

Thanks for that melon recipe. I'm going to make that tonight :)

PS I will never get tired of talking about food. :beerglass:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make your own noodles and keep the sauces simple, with fresh ingredients.

Especially stuffed & flavored pastas ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've got two all time favs. and no name for either.

First is pasta with sardines, garlic and pine nuts.
    1. In a large heavy non reactive pan slowly heat olive oil and one can of sardine packed in oil. Drain the oil, put the sardines into the warm oil and let warm thru.
    2. Add several cloves of finely minced garlic to the oil. Use a wooden spoon to mash the sardines, garlic until the sardines completely dissolve.
    3. toss some pignoli nuts in a pan until lightly toasted set aside
    4. Add fav. pasta to pan raise heat and toss thru for a few mins.
    5. Plate and garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley and curls of the king of cheeses P.R. Helllloooo Nurse :)

Second is fried pasta with eggs!

1. In a large nonstick pan or heavy cast iron heat left over pasta in olive oil.
    Toss to coat with hot pepper flakes, pepper and leave on med. heat. Also toss in chunks of sausage or bacon or any smoked meat that is left over from prev. meal or pre-cooked for this dish...toss thru. Continue to heat until you can lift an edge and see browning all under the pasta.

2. Time for the eggs!!! Make a nest in the *middle of the pasta and add two fresh organic eggs and cover the pan. Leave alone for 5 mins. *The nest should be broad and depressed enough to get your eggs closer to heat of the pan.

3. Plate and garnish with pepper and flat leaf parsley and extra hot pepper flakes. Served with a cold beer...ah he!!! yeah.
    It's morning here down under and that second recipe is making me hungry (and thirsty for that cold beer)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

so, shino, do you have a bad boy gnocchi recipe? not a prep with store bought but the actual gnocchi themselves? of course, i am going to basterdize it by putting it through the gluten free grinder ...

fyi : star wars iv: a new hope is on spike right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast