Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubulars vs Clinchers: Let the Games Begin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tubulars vs Clinchers: Let the Games Begin

Thanks Jason Musgrave (custom bike builder and good guy) for reviving an old tubular tyre debate...are they safer? I've "liberated" text from the Serotta Forum where yrs. ago I posted a thread apre's coming home from a pretty scarey incident where my carbon wheel was crushed and the tubular remained intact. You want the truth? Tubulars saved my freakin' skin that day.
    ==================================================
    How tubulars saved my life

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you thought all the talk about tubulars being safer was BS?
    Take a gander of what happened today...on the way to the forum.
    I was finishing a ride with friends when on the last descent I was following 20 feet back traveling close to 40mph and heard my pal Winn yelling...looked in time to see a 12 foot wide by 12 foot across and 6 inch deep road repair in progress...sharp 6 inch drop to concrete and a 6 inch lip. I choose life and lofted the bike to get over the first lip and yanked the fr. wheel up to get over the second lip sacrificing the rear...it was tooooo fast to control two hops. The impact crushed the Zipp Pave and left the tire intact. The tire is 100% fine and was pumped to 100lbs even. All I have to say is if it was a clincher I'd be roasted...instant blowout and sketchy return to a stop if I was very talented and lucky. Check out the pics and note the pristine tire Amazing ain't it? The county is going to get a really really scarey photo in the mail monday with a letter that starts "F" you, strong letter to follow

Friends don't let friends ride clinchers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

comparing one's imagination about what might have happened to what actually did offers no real insight and has zero value. its the worst of what the internet offer in terms of information that has weight or meaning.

if it were a clincher i'd be roasted?

huh?
    aren't we, by design.. smarter than this here?

two words: bunny hop.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

swooper

toots has enough experience to know that if he hit the obstacle with a clincher it would have pinch flat punctured. what comes next is the hypothetical part. i'm comfortable with the general observation that going downhill at 40 on a rear punctured clincher would have been worse than what the big man experienced.

i love tubulars. but almost always ride clinchers on the road and don't worry for a second about what might happen if i puncture.

over 20 years ago i recall a front tubular blowout on mulholland at 40+ approaching a corner while pulling some food out of a pocket and no drama at all. young? fearless? stupid? talented? lucky? who knows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just had a clincher go out at full throttle down a descent this week. fernwood of all things.. steep and hairy.
    i'm alive.

who's to say it wouldn't have buckled the tubular and jammed it up into the brakes?

speculation is speculation. it has no weight.

i'm not a defender of clinchers... but i think there has to be a rationale beyond imagining the worst of what didn't happen for an intelligent conversation to unfold (pun). and i hold dr. toot to a high standard for this stuff.

sucks about the wheel!

"toot, you ignorant slut."
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noel why do you hate tall people? Let's have a beer.

OK, back to the topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clinchers need love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tubulars are plush and fast.
    Clinchers ride great and are very convenient.
    I like 'em both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    Clinchers need love.
    What's Love got to do widit?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all kidding aside.. and i hope you know all the tone is meant to make fun....

when i do slam a wheel/tire and fear for death.. with clinchers i often find its a 30 or 40 second leak rather than an explosion.

i usually get the explosions when i cut a sidewall or have a tube squeeze out under the bead.

either way.... is suppose it always about what gives you confidence.

its just my neurotic nature.. but on a hot day here.. on a tricky descent where maybe one brakes too much because of traffic or just to be safe... i always worry about a) delamming the carbon rim, and b) cooking the glue.

its just all mental. i miss tubies. i don't miss tubies. i hate dragging around a folded spare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Tubulars are plush and fast.
    Clinchers ride great and are very convenient.
    I like 'em both.
    i know a ds that thinks fabian would have won the tt over contador had he been on clinchers.
    most recent studies show clinchers to be faster. it is up for debate as the science does serve a master.

cees knows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do ya'll flat so much is the real question? I have had 1 maybe 2 flats in the past 4-5 years. I ride clinchers everyday and race on tubulars, mostly because of cost (which dosent make since based on flat history).

I have never thought about heating up glue on a mt decent, not have i thought about blowing a clincher.

I just dont get it ride what ever, just ride as much as you can so that you are strong enough to get back on after the presto changeo.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=swoop;115786]
    its just my neurotic nature.. but on a hot day here.. on a tricky descent where maybe one brakes too much because of traffic or just to be safe... i always worry about a) delamming the carbon rim, and b) cooking the glue.

[QUOTE]

i love tubies. they feel so good, so plush. a good one inspires so much confidence at the limit. but i hate: changing them; carrying 2 of them on my bike; and carrying a dulled screwdriver to pry the sucker off if it punctures, etc.

its just that the new clinchers are so damn close, and so convenient, that i tend to ride them for training, and to jump on tubies for racing, and for cross.

i'm repeating myself but, many years ago i descended yerba buena full tilt and when i got to the bottow noticed that my front strada 66 had gotten so hot that the red clement cement had softened and the tire had slipped. the valve stem, which was straight at the top was cockeyed when i got to the bottom. that was a little unnerving.

swoop, what is yerba, about 3000 feet of sinuous bumpy, gravely, off camber nirvana that hits the coast at ventura county line?

re delamming, isn't that more of a risk on a carbon clincher than a carbon tubular?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horses for courses blah blah. Two yrs. ago I rode clinchers at Spring Camp because I felt it was important to use the same equipment as my campers. Neurotic, hahaha you want to talk about that?? There yah go some love ;) haha everybody know Rosanna Danna Swoop is kidding.

It's interesting to me that folks who tend not to get punctures easily move to tubulars and never look back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yerba is all about that loose surface and diminishing radius turns....
    its tuna canyon (where they did the red bull) that make you wonder because you're on the brakes hard, still going 35 in the turn and not slowing down... and so you're just committed or overheated or both.

you just see regular sized dudes with melted delaminated rims there all day on sundays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Friends Don't Let Friends Race on Clinchers

Back in 03 or 04 I was doing the Madera road race as part of the stage race. I was fourth on the GC, jumped out of the pack about 10 miles out on a stretch of Roubiax like farm road, caught and passed the break, then noticed my rear was going flat. Kept riding and got second on the RR and second on GC. The tubular was completely flat by the time I got back to the car.

Fast forward 3 month at the Fort Ord Circuit race. I was running late and left my trainer wheel on. Jumped the break with 3 miles to go, got and held a gap, then on a sharp uphill my rear tire blew, instantly I was on the ground all scrapped up. DNF that day.

Have not raced clinchers since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Horses for courses blah blah. Two yrs. ago I rode clinchers at Spring Camp because I felt it was important to use the same equipment as my campers. Neurotic, hahaha you want to talk about that?? There yah go some love ;) haha everybody know Rosanna Danna Swoop is kidding.

It's interesting to me that folks who tend not to get punctures easily move to tubulars and never look back.
    So you rode clinchers and a 54 cm bike because that's what the campers were riding?

I want a picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the lead story the tire held air because the rim failed, absorbing the energy of the impact. Reminded me that years ago in the Marlboro RR, one of my mates just in front of me wigged on a wet painted line in the turn at the bottom of the descent. He went straight into the curb on the outside, getting the front wheel up and over only to have his rear GEL 280 disintegrate flush with the chainstays. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him ride it out, actually staying up for about 20 feet while his chainring and rear derailleur DitchWitched the grass before he finally fell over. When it was all done the back tire was still inflated.

Those are just stories though. In this debate cost, convenience, performance, and safety are the primary issues, not necessarily in that order. Did I miss any? I'm putting "feel" in with performance, but I'll add that if you consider "feel" to be of high importance, then I hope the only spare tire you're carrying is the one under the saddle. I've ridden fat and I've ridden skinny and even half-inflated clinchers "feel" better than being 15 lbs over legitimate race weight.

For road racing I choose tubulars. Since most of us race on wheels costing $500-1200 each, it makes little overall cost difference whether you wrap them with a $45 tire or a $90 tire. Carbon aero tubular rims are significantly lighter than clinchers of equal depth/strength, so you get better performance.

Even if you are not using zoot wheels (cx, Battenkill, etc) in pack racing you are going to hit shit that you didn't see coming and any added cost/inconvenience of running tubulars is more than offset by the reduction in the chance of pinch flatting. Most of us are going to dnf or finish way otb if we flat in an amateur race, as fast wheel changes and successful chasebacks are pretty rare. You just wasted all the entry and travel monies by penny pinching with clinchers.

For training it's more complicated. I'll sort of buy the safety argument, which is one more reason I race tubulars, but a sudden catastrophic failure of any wheel component at high speed is scary no matter what you ride. Here in Mass I don't have a lot of white knuckle descents to worry about. No matter where you are though, it's important to remember on a training ride that nobody has checked the course and you don't have a lead vehicle. Please remind me of this the next time I'm in SoCal descending Westlake Blvd... I'll remind you when your apexing blind downhill lefts at D2R2. Tubulars won't fully absorb the energy of a head on impact with an oncoming pickup.

I train on clinchers for both CX and road. I can't see doing CX training on tubulars. Flats are too costly. For the road you have me thinking. I don't flat much. The cost gap has certainly narrowed. The low Crr clinchers that all the bike science guys rave about are almost as likely to suffer unrepairable damage as a tubular, and the price difference is not huge anymore. Convenience still heavily favors clinchers. Keeping even a modest stable of bikes equipped with tubulars, making sure they aren't rotting, have proper spares, etc, PITA. And then there is the two flats scenario. If everyone rode tubulars, this would not be so big of a deal, but the likelihood of someone else on your ride having a spare is quite low these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What gets me about tubulars is they come with a built in excuse for their failure.

I wont use tubulars for any course that requires real turning. Its a safety thing for me.

Clincher fail - Equipment's fault
    Tubular Fail - User's fault
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acotts View Post
    What gets me about tubulars is they come with a built in excuse for their failure.

I wont use tubulars for any course that requires real turning. Its a safety thing for me.

Clincher fail - Equipment's fault
    Tubular Fail - User's fault
    !!!! Without going into gory details...Come on I've seen lots of folks do a terrible job installing clichers....let's call it a draw on that one ;)

Jellyrollmorton, let me be the first to declare your third post the best third post VSalon has had evah. Rock on brother all good words.

Adding merit to my foolish ways (yuck yuck). Today I raced on the Velodrome using S. American track tubulars pumped to 140 and the ride was sublime. I looked real hard to find someone riding clinchers today. Tubulars rule the velodrome.

Score one more for tubulars.

F.D.L.F.R.C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    !!!! Without going into gory details...Come on I've seen lots of folks do a terrible job installing clichers....let's call it a draw on that one ;)

Jellyrollmorton, let me be the first to declare your third post the best third post VSalon has had evah. Rock on brother all good words.

Adding merit to my foolish ways (yuck yuck). Today I raced on the Velodrome using S. American track tubulars pumped to 140 and the ride was sublime. I looked real hard to find someone riding clinchers today. Tubulars rule the velodrome.

Score one more for tubulars.

F.D.L.F.R.C.

I do agree with you.

But I hope you understand my frustration with the fact that if a tire gets rolled, then you are automatically an idiot for not being able to glue a tire. Or if you had it professionally done, then you need a new shop, etc. Its never the tires fault.

Despite a long history of tubulars coming off rims, the only reason it ever happens is because the rider is stupid. Its never anything else—ever. The notion that it may not be a perfect system is blasphemy.

And it seems like most folks here admit that they are not perfect. But many wont.

Not only that, but it opens the door for every old stodgy racer to perform a full critique of your cycling creds. It puts you on the defense.

It really gets my goat.

I guess it’s a classic tradition vs technology argument. I come from a different era. Clinchers have always been good during my cycling lifetime.

I rolled my last tubular doing warmups in a parking lot, practicing my turns. I was going about 10 mph. Tires were at 120 psi. I banged up my hip so much that it kept me off the bike for like 3 weeks. So I am bitter. I through some latex tubes in my clinchers and I am never looking back.

I would totally feel fine riding tubulars in a velodrome, in a triathlon or a time trial. Just not in a road race or crit as I feel I hit the corners way too hard for tubulars.

Im not anti-tubular. I just wont use them myself. I puts a twinge of fear in my mind that I dont need.
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast