User Tag List

Thread: Crackpot requests

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crackpot requests

I have to vent...Recently a guy contacted me about framebuilding and how he used to help out at an operation back in the 70's before becoming an engineer at Boeing.

Flash forward 40 years and they guy is in his late 60's/early 70's and hasn't built or ridden a bike in thirty years. He's taken a beating in the stock market and is worries about how he will survive on his now reduced retirement savings. What to do? Maybe contact a local small time framebuilder about the possibility of hand filing and then selling custom dropouts?

So the guy comes to visit my shop and brings along his bike from 30 years ago to show me what he can accomplish. I spend HOURS with the guy complementing him on his work, letting him down easy as I told him about Pacenti, Paragon, Nova, Ceeway, H. James, Ellis, Lex, and a bunch of other guys who are offering/creating beautiful dropouts at great prices.

While we're there he hints that he's also been thinking about creating tooling for making bikes. "I used to use a 2"x4" to make forks"... I fill him on Anvil, Sputnik, H.James, Bringheli, and the rest and let him know that he's barking up the wrong tree if he is looking to make money in the bike business. Hours later my job is done, I've nicely let down a kindly older gentleman while repaying some of the time that you guys have provided me over the last few years.

I got a call Saturday that the guy has fabricated a fork jig that he wants me to check out and get feedback on. Thing looks like a 1/2 thought out Bringheli. I am way more blunt with my feedback and essentially point out, "why would I buy this when I could save up some $$$ for another month or two and buy and Anvil?" The fcuking thing even has an Anvil dummy axle in it!

Sorry I crushed the guys dreams but reality is reality...until yesterday. I have a voicemail from the guy saying he think's he's going to go ahead with production with a local CNC shop doing the work.

WTF? How many people associating with cycling are completely retarted? Am I a shit magnet or is this normal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely normal. This business attacks the fringe.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a call last week from someone local that wanted me to check out his radical new design for bicycles - like a cruiser, only different.

He wanted to contract with me to make his design and then he was going to market/sell them - "they're going to be huge," he told me. Of course I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

I told him I was a custom framebuilder and not a contract manufacturer and sent him on his way.

Who knows, maybe it'll be huge, but it's one less thing for me to worry about.

Conor

p.s. I also get emails from people volunteering to work for free. I don't even know if they live in the area or not.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    snipped -
    Sorry I crushed the guys dreams but reality is reality.

dude.
    it's a framebuilder's role to crush reality.
    how does the saying go...
    it's my reality or the highway.
    just sayin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conorb View Post

Of course I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
    I have people contacting me to build the next greatest thing as well. They almost alway want me to sign a non-disclosure agreement. If I have no intentions of building the part I refuse to sign. It's a document designed to protect the other parties interests and there is no reason to give anything to them if you don't get something in return.

A couple months ago I had a guy contact me and ask me to GIVE him some advice on a design he was developing. When he arrived he had the nerve to ask me to sign a non-disclosure. It kind of pissed me off. If a person wants me to sign a non-disclosure they can pay my hourly fee.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crackpot list to date since I have been building full time.

turbo intakes
    fuel tanks
    crutches
    trikes
    recumbent #1
    recumbent #2
    recumbent #3
    recumbent infinity
    various custom carbon forks(usually for some engineer who assures me he knows what he is doing)
    money clips
    moto kickstand pads
    bumpers
    hoods
    any stupid jap tuner part you can think of

sometimes i really have to bite my tongue when they refuse my non interest and tell me how much i am missing out on.

why has no one asked for a carbon fiber bong yet?
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I tell them this

"I make Llewellyn bicycles so
    my suggestionto you is
    go to work
    work lots of over time
    maybe even a second job
    save your dollars to
    buy the tools and equipment for your new workshop
    learn the skills to build what you desire
    then you will have all the freedom in the world to create and experiment with your dream design/part fantasy
    Have fun and take care"

They some times comment that is seems that no one is interested in helping them with their hobby interest.

I reply to the effect, "It is evident that you are not self employed"

I am harsh!
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I get lots of these types of requests too. But my response has been slightly different. A good part of my career has been building stuff off other people's drawings. Doing this takes a different set of skills and an emotional disconnect from the project. One strives to do the best job one can within the context of the quoted price but removes ones emotional/stylistic sensibilities. Not everyone can do that. I've done it a lot but prefer not to much now. Back to my response, I don't automatically dismiss these sorts of inquiries. If it's a job that I can knock out, have the time to do and most importantly make money on I'll do it. The key is to know your limitations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curt Goodrich calls me 20 times a day asking if I could do all kinds of vile stuff for him.

Latest non-Goodrich request is r&d on a sub 9-lb man-portable photovoltaic/wind turbine power source. Since it's a GA that's asking, I might not turn them down. :adore:
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    Curt Goodrich calls me 20 times a day asking if I could do all kinds of vile stuff for him.

Latest non-Goodrich request is r&d on a sub 9-lb man-portable photovoltaic/wind turbine power source. Since it's a GA that's asking, I might not turn them down. :adore:
    You gonna sign a non-disclosure?
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    You gonna sign a non-disclosure?
    It would have to be a non-disclosure with myself.

"I swear to never talk about this with myself!"

BAR
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post

Okay you whiner it can be 10# but that's the max. What's a GA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get used to it - part of the job description.........."it should be easy for you" - spoken from a free standing person to a freakin' cripple - really is the way to shut me down. some highlights - "i have 4 old tenspeeds, it should be easy for you to make a recumbent out of them!" one person absolutely would not take "no" for his off-road geriatric walker design. i tell people the most important thing i have learned is to stick to my prices & to say "no". i love this one: random guy - "i love you headbadges! how much do they cost!" me - "they start at $1550 and include a free frame" that said, i HAVE made: bitchen' off-road motorcycle touring racks, paraplegic nordic sit-ski chairs, car roof racks, stainless steel tubular viking-style drinking horn holders, helicopter foot control pegs...........Steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    Okay you whiner it can be 10# but that's the max. What's a GA?
    Government Agency.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    ...i love this one: random guy - "i love you headbadges! how much do they cost!" me - "they start at $1550 and include a free frame".....Steve.
    I get that one as well. I usually get the look of fear with that response.

Like when the folks at the burger counter ask if your order is "for here or to go." Sometimes I say "to go here" - there's like no reaction, all the blood drains from their face and they just look at you with a real blankness in the eyes.

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    crackpot list to date since I have been building full time.

turbo intakes
    fuel tanks
    crutches
    trikes
    recumbent #1
    recumbent #2
    recumbent #3
    recumbent infinity
    various custom carbon forks(usually for some engineer who assures me he knows what he is doing)
    money clips
    moto kickstand pads
    bumpers
    hoods
    any stupid jap tuner part you can think of

sometimes i really have to bite my tongue when they refuse my non interest and tell me how much i am missing out on.

why has no one asked for a carbon fiber bong yet?
    Can I have a carbon fibre bong

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by compositepro View Post
    Can I have a carbon fibre bong
    is that for here or to go atmo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get crackpot requests all the time.. it my job as a proto guy for a major tool and blade/ bit/ whatever you can cram into/onto a chuck/ arbor or what ever you want to spin for destruction/construction. These come from engineers in a controlled environ and its fun to mess stuff up.. and to make and try for the next gen. of really cool.. and get paid for a 'gone fishing' sign on the door!

However..

Long ago before things got really 'weird'.. I had my own gig doing custom smithing and metal work. I had all sorts coming to me to make anything and everything for 'them'. usually a rapping on the door when I was smack dab in the middle of something critical. The sketches were at best on a cocktail napkin and the delivery of intent was hap hazard. It would then be up to me to figure out the details and process of it al for a base model.. then refinements would insue.. all on my own dime for someone else..

I would simply say that "yes this is a small town and you know someone that knows someone else that gave you my name and where I live... but I am not here to solve your problems unless you are willing to pay me very well...Otherwise, I have my own work to be going on with.. "

Please dont let the door slap yer backside on the way out... Hard man mebbe but I do not suffer those that do not seek their own way first and look for an easy path.

Yeah.. thats me, C