Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Homemade Energy bars anyone??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Homemade Energy bars anyone??

Tired of the junk they sell and interested in making my own. Anyone have a decent mix they are willing to share??

Thanks
    Gauvin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

calling rwsaunders.....

he makes a good one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homemade is great, but if you don't have the time there are good alternatives. My personal favorite is ProBar, www.theprobar.com.

Each bar is a whole food meal replacement (average bar is 350ish calories), and come in an oversized wrapper that allows you place partially consumed bars back in your jersey poockets (and they're easy to handle on the bike).

It's real food, not some processed and extruded goop, and they come in a wide range of flavors (my personal fav is KokaMocha), and they are owned and operated by a great group of folks out in Utah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, seems like a great product, I will get some today. Seeing how work is abit slow I would still like to give a recipe a try . ( anyone))

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's one I stole from another site. They are good... I sometimes sub out the wheat germ w/ oats and add some granola to it as well. Either that or sub the chocolate for vanilla protein powder and use vanilla/cinnamon/orange extract for flavor. Basically, the base recipe can be modified significantly, but you might want to make it per the directions the first time.

2 large eggs
    ˝ c. raw sugar
    1 c. honey
    ˝ tsp. salt
    ˝ c. chocolate-flavored whey protein
    2 Tbsp. canola oil
    3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
    ˝ c. powdered milk
    ˝ c. wheat germ
    2 c. fine whole wheat flour
    1 c. raisins or mix of chopped dates and raisins
    ˝ c. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs until thick and lemony. Beat in the sugar until the mixture is thick. Beat in the honey, salt, and whey protein. Dissolve the cocoa in the oil and stir into the egg mixture. Mix the powdered milk, wheat germ, and flour together and stir into the egg mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts. Mixture will be very thick. Smooth into an oiled 9" X 13" baking pan with a moistened metal spoon. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool in the pan. Cut into squares, remove from pan, let dry overnight. Makes 15 bars, 2˝ oz. each.

Per serving: 268 cal., 19% (54 cal.) from fat; 12% (8g) protein; 6g fat (1g sat.); 69% (50g) carbo.; 85mg sodium; 31mg chol.
    Solitudinally challenged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you change one ingredient, then you _own_ the recipe. hell i just use recipes to get me pointed in the right direction.

going to try that someday. fig newtons and 'nanners for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big old salute to your dedication my friend. If you are at all interested the one and only "bar" I can heartily endorse and can not copy is the Organic Food Bar often sold at Trader Joes. (cough) Hammer Nutrition sells the exact same bar repackaged in smaller sizes. Top notch stuff.

http://www.organicfoodbar.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

couple soft rolls, with a smear of butter, a slice of turkey and a slice of soft cheese wrapped in wax paper, a handful of figs, and a banana.

with a bottle of water, a bottle of tea and honey, and a stop for more water and more sweetened tea, chocolate milk, coke or ? you're good for 100 miles without any engineered "food".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody remember the recipe from the old Eddy B training book? Similar to twowheels above with the soft bread, butter, slice of thin meat, soft cheese, etc. My favourite part - dipping the edge of each slice of bread in white wine to make it easier to digest :)

I actually used this recipe again for four sandwiches on a recent ride. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

allen lim's sushi rice bars.

i can't remember where the link is but i'm sure if you google a little you'll find it. might even be on garmin's website.

yep i remember those eddie b. power snack recipes. too funny. slab o'horsement on roll, dip in wine & wrap in foil, old school!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, and for those with money to burn, try the hammer bars. dammit man they're good (they sent some samples). but at 2 bucks a pop, well that digs a bit into my beer, wine, and tires budget.

wp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK Darren...here are my current faves. I'll get a batch out to you next week.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09064/953200-34.stm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    oh, and for those with money to burn, try the hammer bars. dammit man they're good (they sent some samples). but at 2 bucks a pop, well that digs a bit into my beer, wine, and tires budget.

wp
    Dewd...see my prev. reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    couple soft rolls, with a smear of butter, a slice of turkey and a slice of soft cheese wrapped in wax paper, a handful of figs, and a banana.

with a bottle of water, a bottle of tea and honey, and a stop for more water and more sweetened tea, chocolate milk, coke or ? you're good for 100 miles without any engineered "food".
    + 1

2 water bottles
    2 bananas
    200 kilometers (120 miles)

It's what our coach said 20 years ago - still true. Did it yesterday.

Give me a break - "scientifically engineered energy bars" - it's a snickers in a scientifically engineered colorful wrapper.

Same for the sugar water drinks.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16676705
    chocolate milk beating G'rade and enduroxR4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default i love ------

whole wheat fig newtons -- hard to beat & easy!

ronnie :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is a link to the allen lim savory rice cakes: http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008...comment-page-1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Dewd...see my prev. reply.
    whoops, my sped redding skilz caused an oversight.

most of what i eat on the road/trail comes from trees, is packed with water, and has a biodegradable wrapper. but i like bars too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

In the 80's when I first started racing I used the Eddie B. book and it suggested small sandwiches made with cream cheese, jam and a slice of cooked ham. I had forgotten all about it until I was at the library with my kid last year and saw the book on the shelf and checked it out for nostalgia. Lots of crazy stuff but I remembered the jam sandwiches and started making them again, mmmmmm

I also agree with Wade, Fig Newtons and bananas are my go to ride food 90% of the time.

vjp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vjp View Post
    In the 80's when I first started racing I used the Eddie B. book and it suggested small sandwiches made with cream cheese, jam and a slice of cooked ham. Lots of crazy stuff but I remembered the jam sandwiches and started making them again, mmmmmm
    And don't forget the best part of that recipe - dipping the edge of the bread in white wine.