User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Zen and Teaching the Art of Frame Building: Coconino style (originally posted on mtbr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Zen and Teaching the Art of Frame Building: Coconino style (originally posted on mtbr

I spent a couple of days this week in Flagstaff visiting my friends, Mr & Mrs Garro. While there I wanted to see how Steve layed down his fillets and try it myself while he watched. I had this chance but Steve kept asking "Are you going to make something? Stem? Fork? front triangle?" I had to think about what I could do that would be usable and decided on the front end of a bike I have been thinking about: a long and low "roadster" with fat 700C slicks and a internal gear hub.

Luckily I had my basic "fit" on my laptop. Spent an hour drawing the bike on the computer and made a quick hard copy sketch with dimensions to take to the shop. Steve was occupied with the finish work on a frame. He pointed at the drawing table, mill and frame jig and said "Ask questions if you have any." This "teaching" method came clear later. First with his stories of the UBI frame classes and then as I listened to Alan Watts podcasts about how to become a student of a Zen Master.
    • Full size paper frame drawing: 15 minutes.
    • Ask Steve about what tubes to use for the type of bike: He points to the tube shelves with suggestions. I ask questions and largely answer them myself as I see what will and will not physically work.
    • Steve quickly mentions the basics of transferring from drawing to steel. Make tubes. Make basic miters on mill.
    • Cleaned up tubes. Made the ST sleeve. Thought about the overall design and what details are needed (bottle boss holes, vent holes, "fancy" bits).
    • Fit tubes into the Henry James jig. Adjust miters by hand. Steve explains how the jig works. I make all the adjustments and fitting of frame parts.
    • File. Fit. File. Fit. Took my time. Asked a few questions.
    • Front end in jig. I tack the joints.
    • Steve removes the BLO** from the jig and mounts on alignment table. Using just two fingers it is aligned to within a few thousands, and it was close to begin with :thumbs_up:
    • Steve does the head tube fillets. I do the TT/ST fillet with Steve coaching. I do OK.
    • The rest of the joints will be completed after I build the rear end.

**Bicycle Like Object. Steve's term for work in progress
    p3260242.jpg
    Did it all in about 6 hours without rushing. I learned a tremendous amount about fabrication. Much of it from observation, more from doing. If I had not had some basic skills and experience, what Steve does would not have made as much sense nor would I have been able to see what he does differently.

Thanks, Steve!
    p3260245.jpg
    p3270262.jpg
    The swing dropouts are for this frame.
    I will follow up as work progresses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Shig,
    I love the carcass pit sign. Did you see the carcass down there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    Nice Shig,
    I missed Pete this trip. Was only in Flag for a day and a half. In '04 I did get a pic of Carc' holding the sign.
    img_1478_carc.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Shig,
    i had lunch with Pete yesterday! he's gettin' hitched this summer......bout time he put a ring on that gal's finger - she's bonafide! Steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    i had lunch with Pete yesterday! he's gettin' hitched this summer......bout time he put a ring on that gal's finger - she's bonafide! Steve.
    If she's anything like Pete, I'm sure she's a catch. Steve, let Pete know that Matt Cardinal says congrats, and that me and my wife (Elizabeth) are expecting our first (it's a girl) in August!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If she's anything like Pete, I'm sure she's a catch. Steve, let Pete know that Matt Cardinal says congrats, and that me and my wife (Elizabeth) are expecting our first (it's a girl) in August!
    will do! hey - check out the Jim Stein jig in back of pete - that's what i built my 1st 30-40-ish bikes bikes on........it's from the 70's........it went back to Jim. Steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com