I was wondering how racing fit into the business models of various builders on the forum. For the purposes of discussion individuals have been categorized based on my perception...no offense intended.

For some, like T.Kellogg and e-Richie, racing involves actively sponsoring racers while at the same time racing themselves. Anyone north of D.C. on the Easy Coast can see these guys racing on road, track, and cross courses and knows what I mean about sponsoring riders.

Then there are others, who love racing personally, but so far as I know don't sponsor other racers. Their enthusiasm for the sport is contagious and their participation seems to legitimize their product. Zanc is all about cross racing. I know that Garro used to do ultra-endurance MTB races, and I've raced against Drew in the "Killer-B's" so I know he's out there every weekend during cross season. Bozeman builders...there's only four people in town who ride so they've taken up racing cars instead.

Other's still race or have raced at the highest levels possible and professional racing legitimixes the product they produce. The Jerk did the euro thing and his bikes are the hottest thing out there. If Flux did a line of bikes, people on this forum would be all over them.

I know that builders who race usually race for the love of it, but how does racing fit into your business model. Do you race? What does that do for your bike business? Do you learn anything about your business from racing? Do people who don't race sell more randoneuring bikes? Would people have trouble buying bikes from a fat guy? How often to you get into a race and see one of your frames riding along next to you (how cool would that be?)?

For the purposes of this discussion I was hoping to keep it on the idea on racing and not necessarily sponsorship though the two are definitely related.