Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Framebuilders' Collective

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Framebuilders' Collective

e-Ritchie, et.al., what up with this? Fancy placards at NAHBS and new sign off for your posts, so please dish to the rest of us. Borg-like mind meld, guild, secret society with fez hats??? Inquiring minds wanna know.
    Last edited by GSmith; 03-08-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your most basic questions will be answered here -

http://framebuilders.org/

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speaking for myself, i think the site is self-explanatory atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GSmith View Post
    Groovy. Timeline for more action?
    bookmark the site atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e-Ritchie, et.al., what up with this? Fancy placards at NAHBS and new sign off for your posts, so please dish to the rest of us. Borg-like mind meld, guild, secret society with fez hats??? Inquiring minds wanna know.
    what would you like it to be? let's hear some ideas. Steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    what would you like it to be? let's hear some ideas. Steve.
    Two things that I'd like it to accomplish:

1) Create a Wikipedia-like online resource to capture, codify and catalog information for frame-builders. The major components could be building process, technique and standards; the business of; and a resource guide (vendors, materials, etc.).

2) A Builder's Ball. Sort of like the Cattlemen's Ball, but replacing the cows with bikes. I'm not kidding here. NAHBS is too commercial to provide a meaningful social outlet for the community, so how about we have a gala event? Each builder brings their better half, along with one bike. We photo the bikes on the red carpet and display them in a noble, and equal manner. Good food, good drink, good company (at least the better halves anyway!), and we spend the time talking shit about bikes and the business... kind of the way we do here, but in a more human surrounding. We do an annual coffee table book of the bikes (potential to self-fund the event). The world needs more gala events. We need a gala event. Who's in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) A Builder's Ball. Sort of like the Cattlemen's Ball, but replacing the cows with bikes. I'm not kidding here. NAHBS is too commercial to provide a meaningful social outlet for the community, so how about we have a gala event? Each builder brings their better half, along with one bike. We photo the bikes on the red carpet and display them in a noble, and equal manner. Good food, good drink, good company (at least the better halves anyway!), and we spend the time talking shit about bikes and the business... kind of the way we do here, but in a more human surrounding. We do an annual coffee table book of the bikes (potential to self-fund the event). The world needs more gala events. We need a gala event. Who's in?
    Something like this was being considered a few years back in association with NAHBS. The idea we were floating with DW was to have Friday during the day be a true industry day for press and the such and then Friday evening the show would be open as a black-tie event. Jazz quartet, Champagne, fine food on tooth picks...... the full schmere. It would be expensive to get in the door but those who chose to would get an uncrowded hall with lots of face time with the builders.

If you run the numbers it would be possible for DW to bring in more money with this scheme and the builders/customers would have more time to really talk. Seems like a win/win and DW was signed up for it two years ago but then changed his mind. I don't know why he changed but he did.

Anyway this seems like a way to get your idea done. I doubt most of us can take the time away from biz for two trips a year (NAHBS and Builder's Ball) so tying it in with NAHBS would make sense.

dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    Anyway this seems like a way to get your idea done. I doubt most of us can take the time away from biz for two trips a year (NAHBS and Builder's Ball) so tying it in with NAHBS would make sense.

dave
    Agreed...but I cringe at the thought of a bunch of us builders at a gala ball. It'd be like a nerd prom.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    Agreed...but I cringe at the thought of a bunch of us builders at a gala ball. It'd be like a nerd prom.
    You'd look smart in a light blue Tux with lots of ruffles. Very smart.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    Something like this was being considered a few years back in association with NAHBS. The idea we were floating with DW was to have Friday during the day be a true industry day for press and the such and then Friday evening the show would be open as a black-tie event. Jazz quartet, Champagne, fine food on tooth picks...... the full schmere. It would be expensive to get in the door but those who chose to would get an uncrowded hall with lots of face time with the builders.

If you run the numbers it would be possible for DW to bring in more money with this scheme and the builders/customers would have more time to really talk. Seems like a win/win and DW was signed up for it two years ago but then changed his mind. I don't know why he changed but he did.

dave
    Great thoughts, but a couple of concerns. Doing it in conjunction with NAHBS presents control issues, and allowing outside folks to buy their way in detracts from the opportunity for just those in the community to interact without commercial implications.

I hear you on the time away and incremental trip, but I hear that Bozeman is lovely, so maybe we all get cowboy hats and head up to Big Sky country? You and Carl constitute a quorum, so let's do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you on the time away and incremental trip, but I hear that Bozeman is lovely, so maybe we all get cowboy hats and head up to Big Sky country? You and Carl constitute a quorum, so let's do it.
    We'll leave the light on for ya.

All are welcome.

dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i respectfully lock this thread since the chat has nothing to do with the
    subject header. several replies to the OP have answered his question(s).

feel free to start a new thread atmo.