User Tag List

Thread: Stainless fillet question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stainless fillet question

This is kinda OT… The boiler on my Breville DB is basically cracked - it has grown just slightly “porous” near a roll in the metal, and it leaks. Possibly the stupidest failure I’ve ever seen in an espresso machine, compounded by the fact that a) I love this machine and b) Breville doesn’t sell spare parts.

I’ve concluded the thing to do is to lay a fat fillet right over the affected section. It’s too thin and weirdly shaped to weld effectively (and I can’t weld). But it’s thicker than a bike tube, so I think laying a fillet on it shouldn’t be too hard.

Can anyone recommend a product to use? (Or alternative approach?) I need something that doesn’t require more heat than propane (or MAPP) can provide, and which doesn’t contain lead, nickel, cadmium, etc. And the machine is such a nightmare to dissemble and reassemble that I need it to work the first time, even with my minimal skills… 😜

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stainless fillet question

I wonder if an epoxy patch would work and avoid the need to braze. I don't do coffee and don't know how hot or how much pressure is at play here.

I next think of the silver fillers available, including some that the food industry use for their SS devices. IIRC BAg-5 at 45% silver is an example. Unsure as to its liking being filleted, I do know that 56% silver can get internal cracks in attempted fillets due to cooling contraction stresses that other fillers don't have.

I assume that the boiler's insides are able to be flushed with hot water before using for human consumption, you'd really want to dissolve away any flux.

I strongly suggest practicing on the same alloy if at all possible with the filler(s) of choice. SS reacts differently to torch heat then steel does and you say you have one shot... Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BDBs are notoriously unreliable with no available spare parts so dead ones are very easy to find: check the "Pay it Forward" section of any coffee forum.

The common faults are things like O rings leaking and triacs failing so it shouldn't be hard to find one with an intact boiler.

No, epoxy won't work. If you want to destroy an epoxy bond you expose it to cyclical high temperature and moisture.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    This is kinda OT… The boiler on my Breville DB is basically cracked - it has grown just slightly “porous” near a roll in the metal, and it leaks. Possibly the stupidest failure I’ve ever seen in an espresso machine, compounded by the fact that a) I love this machine and b) Breville doesn’t sell spare parts.

I’ve concluded the thing to do is to lay a fat fillet right over the affected section. It’s too thin and weirdly shaped to weld effectively (and I can’t weld). But it’s thicker than a bike tube, so I think laying a fillet on it shouldn’t be too hard.

Can anyone recommend a product to use? (Or alternative approach?) I need something that doesn’t require more heat than propane (or MAPP) can provide, and which doesn’t contain lead, nickel, cadmium, etc. And the machine is such a nightmare to dissemble and reassemble that I need it to work the first time, even with my minimal skills… ��
    Yeah, I know what you need to do.
    Use 50N, it's both excellent for stainless and it's used for food grade items - I fixed my slightly different coffee maker last week in a few minutes - it builds a fillet just fine, I use it for stainless dropouts with a lot of fill for a large plug in the stay so it's a little more stick around and less flow away if that makes sense.

This alloy:

https://www.gasflux.com/wp-content/u...VER-BAg-24.pdf

I'd be glad to help but you are a little far away and over a border

- Garro.

IMG_4004.jpg
    Last edited by steve garro; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:27 AM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leave it to the Garro to figure out all things fillet and fix the coffee machine. Tip o da hat to you Steevo, I am impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Yeah, I know what you need to do.
    Use 50N, it's both excellent for stainless and it's used for food grade items
    Thanks Steve! That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Can I use a Harris “50N” product? Are alloys standardized? It doesn’t look like I can get the Gasflux in Canada. (Although I’ll be in Denver this week…maybe I’ll look there.)

What would you use for flux? I can’t reliably clean the inside of the boiler, as the ports are too small. I can fill and soak it obviously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where in Canada are you? I'm about an hour+ from the boarder at Buffalo/Peace Bridge. I've helped out others by meeting them there and handing off the stuff.

https://www.bikefabsupply.com/flux sells the Gasflux brand and they claim to ship to Canada. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steve! That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Can I use a Harris “50N” product? Are alloys standardized? It doesn’t look like I can get the Gasflux in Canada. (Although I’ll be in Denver this week…maybe I’ll look there.)

What would you use for flux? I can’t reliably clean the inside of the boiler, as the ports are too small. I can fill and soak it obviously.
    Here's the makeup:

Chemical Composition of Ag-50 (BAg-24) Cu Ag Zinc Nickel Other
    20% 50% 28% 2% .15%

But I bet it's right in line as the same alloy, one troy ounce should be sufficient, you can show me the issue I may have a better idea but one TO is a bunch - you also need flux, type "U" is what you want, a pound is a ton but with your one TO of alloy you will be prepared for future issues, maybe get it shipped to you destination in CO?

https://www.gasflux.com/catalog/past...-u-paste-flux/

Yeah, I'd take some boiling water and soak it overnight, it knocks of the flux in <10min but just to be sure, then maybe run a dummy run to flush it out.
    Glad to help !

"Soy Manoso"

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:50 AM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I’ll just have it shipped to my destination in Denver. Should arrive pretty quick from Phoenix!

I started a plumbing apprenticeship a couple months ago, and today I have a whole day of soldering shower valves. Good chance to brush up on my torch work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I’ll just have it shipped to my destination in Denver. Should arrive pretty quick from Phoenix!

I started a plumbing apprenticeship a couple months ago, and today I have a whole day of soldering shower valves. Good chance to brush up on my torch work!
    Totally !

Heat the thick part !

Let us know how it goes

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:19 PM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with espresso machine boilers is that the corrosion outside comes from inside, so any repair you do outside is usually building on a shaky foundation. I've replaced boilers in Saeco and Delonghi super-automatics, and it isn't hard but it is more successful - especially when the boiler is some sort of bi-metal contraption of stainless and aluminum. I can't imagine the Breville line to be that much more complex than a super-automatic.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/br...52_116055.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll echo j44ke here. I've done a lot of that sort of thing and I'll also wager the corrosion is way worse on the inside. I'm not saying don't try it but be prepared for it to fail. They're good machines generally but not really user serviceable for the average person so they do appear on ebay etc fairly often over here as 'broken'. I'd attempt to track down a replacement boiler before doing a repair if I were you.
    Steven Shand
    www.willowbike.com
    Handbuilt Bicycles - Scotland, UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the impulse to say, “those machines suck, just replace the boiler”, etc. The reality is, this machine is eight years old and has had fewer issues than any La Marzocco, Rocket, Gaggia, or La Pavoni I’ve ever owned or serviced. The pumps and solenoids are common items. The o-rings and hoses are all standard. I don’t bother with the stock descale cycle because it’s a pain in the arse, but so far I haven’t seen any issues with the electronics. So to the haters, maybe get some hands-on time before you write off my machine. I’ve worked on a $30k La Marzocco, an $10k Rocket, and lord knows I’ve worked on this Breville…I’ve seen lotsa sides.

I would’ve ordered a new boiler and replaced it last time I had it apart if that were an option. It’s not. I don’t know why this boiler has failed like this, but it’s not because of corrosion. This machine is spotless, well cared for, and our tap water is second-to-none. It failed because of shoddy manufacturing, and I think attempting to repair the boiler I have is a better option than replacing it with someone else’s unknown quantity. Worst case scenario, I have a boiler that leaks same as it does now! Plus I kinda appreciate the challenge…

I’m not Steve Garro or Eric Baar with a torch, but I also wasn’t born yesterday. It has been twenty years since I soldered a bike frame, and I’ve never built a fillet on stainless. But I’m about to learn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Coming in from left field here. If the repair is out of sight, have you considered JB WaterWeld epoxy? It can handle high pressure and up to 250F. I carry it in the travel trailer in case I need to fix something with the fresh water system. I got it to stick on a small crack in my water tank while it was still actively leaking and a year later, it's all good. You can fill the crack and sand it down as well.
    https://www.jbweld.com/product/waterweld-epoxy-putty
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com