User Tag List

Thread: Carmine Street Guitars

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carmine Street Guitars

Is there a dedicated thread for guitars and lutherie?
    I couldn't find one.

I went down a rabbit hole today when I saw an Instagram post from McSorley's about something they recently installed.
    This is a cool documentary.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Carmine Street Guitars

My son is just starting down this road after 15 years of successful but soulless gigs in the start-up world. He's most decidedly in the beginning stages. He spent a couple of weeks in Portland working 1:1 with a master luthier (don't know the name - a guy in his 80's apparently). He's built a few guitars from scratch for self and friends, a couple of whom are semi-successful musicians and early reviews are positive.

He's doing some consulting about 20 hours/week to keep a revenue stream as it's unlikely (and will take a while if it ever happens) for the luthier thing to become a sustainable profession. He's self-aware and knows that he will have to build hundreds to hone his craft.

Richard - I've spoken to him about your approach to your work over the years. He's spent some time of your website and was scrutinizing the workmanship on my bike even though he's never been into cycling.

I'm proud of him for following his dreams. A great kid.

https://www.instagram.com/damelioaxeworks/
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    My son is just starting down this road after 15 years of successful but soulless gigs in the start-up world. He's most decidedly in the beginning stages. He spent a couple of weeks in Portland working 1:1 with a master luthier (don't know the name - a guy in his 80's apparently). He's built a few guitars from scratch for self and friends, a couple of whom are semi-successful musicians and early reviews are positive.

He's doing some consulting about 20 hours/week to keep a revenue stream as it's unlikely (and will take a while if it ever happens) for the luthier thing to become a sustainable profession. He's self-aware and knows that he will have to build hundreds to hone his craft.

Richard - I've spoken to him about your approach to your work over the years. He's spent some time of your website and was scrutinizing the workmanship on my bike even though he's never been into cycling.

I'm proud of him for following his dreams. A great kid.

https://www.instagram.com/damelioaxeworks/
    Good Luck to your son Lou! It is a tough road to go down for some. I have been at it for 45 years so far. The most that I have learned from has actually been from the repair side. You get to see a lot of different styles of construction and methods. What works and what does not. I was lucky to have a inspiring teacher named Charles Fox who made really at problem solving as well as construction techniques. You end up doing for the love doing it.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charles Fox is my son's mentor as well. He speaks of him in reverent tones.

He has no illusions of mastering the craft anytime soon and knows that making a living at it is a pipe dream, but he's going to try anyway. I'm really proud of him for this. He's a bright "kid" (38) and could make a fortune in his primary profession if money was his motivator. Instead he's going to follow his passion and can make a livable wage at his primary gig very part time. He's going to focus on building without worrying about it as a sustainable business model until when and if he is satisfied with the product.

I directed him to your web links.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charles Fox

The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare