Thread: Renting an EV car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Renting an EV car

I am planning next trip.

Can't find anything related into the terms and conditions of the rental company I checked. If you rent an EV car, do rental companies typically ask you to return the car with a full charge (or pay a fee) the same way they ask for a full tank with a gasoline vehicle?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Renting an EV car

Last winter we rented a Model 3 in Phoenix, AZ through Turo. They asked for at least a 75% charge on the battery at return.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm it kills most of the selling point of renting an EV
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue is that what is commonly known as Level 2 charging, which is what exists on 240V AC circuits and which is what most homes will have or businesses will have, charge too slowly. It’s not an issue for an owner who just plugs in after a commute and charges up overnight. My daily driving is easy peasy with the Tesla.

If a rental is brought back at a low state of charge it will take several hours to bring it back up, during which time the car can’t be rented. If it’s not rented it’s not making money.

Initially I thought EVs would be great rentals but that’s no longer clear, given the limitations of slow charging and the inconsistent experience with DC fast charging like Tesla Superchargers. To be clear, Tesla chargers are consistently good. But other brands in the US are a whole other story and generally very inconsistent in the user experience.

I don’t know anything about charging infrastructure in Europe. But the limitations of AC vs DC would still exist.

Rental companies aren’t likely to invest in DC fast charging solutions as they require quite a bit of cooperation with electric utilities. They draw far more than 240 volts.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:41 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve rented EV’s 4 four times for business trips as Hertz had no ICE cars available at the time of the rentals and it was a PITA every time. Hertz wanted the car returned with an 80% charge and when I asked them just how that I go about doing that with a 6am return, their answer was that everyone has the same response and they had no answer other than to Google search for Tesla supercharging stations. There are 3 btw in Baton Rouge, with none by the airport…ask me how I know.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I’ve rented EV’s 4 four times for business trips as Hertz had no ICE cars available at the time of the rentals and it was a PITA every time. Hertz wanted the car returned with an 80% charge and when I asked them just how that I go about doing that with a 6am return, their answer was that everyone has the same response and they had no answer other than to Google search for Tesla supercharging stations. There are 3 btw in Baton Rouge, with none by the airport…ask me how I know.
    FWIW, the Tesla will tell you where they are and navigate to one. But yes, this is a silly business model on the part of Hertz. They (and Tesla) didn’t really think it through properly before embarking on this.

The other issue with Teslas is that there are enough quirks that the uninitiated might actually have some trouble with some aspects of it. Some of it is intuitive, but not all, and the user interface can be quite confusing IMHO.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if you turn in an EV with less than 80%, do they charge you for lost use like they do with an accident? If they do, then seems like CDW/LDW should cover an under-charged return.

I'm betting that the real sticking point is what Saab mentions - the coordination with electric utilities required to install fast chargers at the rental agencies. So agencies require renters to charge because they don't have the capacity to do the recharge themselves.
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:30 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Both of my sisters have Teslas. One the DFW area and the other in Charleston, SC. Our dad is in PHX and my younger sister rented a Tesla last fall and ended up returning it with a 15% charge because of a really early flight and no close chargers. I can't recall what the rental charged her, but it was not insignificant. She could have worked around it by returning it the afternoon prior and taking a shuttle to the airport, but IMHO, rental cars are about convenience when you travel.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    So if you turn in an EV with less than 80%, do they charge you for lost use like they do with an accident? If they do, then seems like CDW/LDW should cover an under-charged return.

I'm betting that the real sticking point is what Saab mentions - the coordination with electric utilities required to install fast chargers at the rental agencies. So agencies require renters to charge because they don't have the capacity to do the recharge themselves.
    They could install a bunch of 240V level 2 chargers (and probably have) but as mentioned, these are comparatively slow and not ideal for a rental fleet that wants to deploy the cars quickly. They’re fine for overnight, which is why they’re great for owners with garages.

DC fast chargers are, in addition to requiring the electrical infrastructure, expensive. They’re really a different animal than a small level 2 charger as seen at hotels or homes.

The rental thing will or could get easier if more hotels had level 2 charging. That’s a thing but still relatively uncommon and unreliable.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:42 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We use the Las Vegas airport and I did a quick check. There appears to be several Superchargers located within a few miles of the airport. I have some friends that rented a Tesla for a trip to the Grand Canyon from Vegas and it worked out well with plenty of Superchargers for the eight hours of round trip driving. FWIW, I pointed out that PHX was a few hours closer to GCNP, but they wanted Vegas.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    DC fast chargers are, in addition to requiring the electrical infrastructure, expensive. They’re really a different animal than a small level 2 charger as seen at hotels or homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    We use the Las Vegas airport and I did a quick check. There appears to be several Superchargers located within a few miles of the airport. I have some friends that rented a Tesla for a trip to the Grand Canyon from Vegas and it worked out well with plenty of Superchargers for the eight hours of round trip driving. FWIW, I pointed out that PHX was a few hours closer to GCNP, but they wanted Vegas.
    Fast chargers coverage in europe is very different so I would have hope rental companies that want to provide EVs would invest in fast chargers and use non refill/recharge as a selling point. As it is it seems more convenient to rent an ICE vehicle as refill takes 2 minutes.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a family trip I noticed that Hertz seems to have Polestars for rent, at least at SFO and SJC. I may need to see if I can create a realistic plan for trying one.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Hmmm it kills most of the selling point of renting an EV
    As a Model Y owner, I had no issue figuring out the quirks of charging. Plus I think Phoenix has plenty of supercharger sites. It also helped the hotel we stayed at had a level 2 charger albeit only one of two chargers was working. Turo is like AirBnB for vehicles and was way cheaper than the big rental groups. I felt it worked really well. The guy had about 5-6 model 3’s at an airport site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    As a Model Y owner, I had no issue figuring out the quirks of charging. Plus I think Phoenix has plenty of supercharger sites. It also helped the hotel we stayed at had a level 2 charger albeit only one of two chargers was working. Turo is like AirBnB for vehicles and was way cheaper than the big rental groups. I felt it worked really well. The guy had about 5-6 model 3’s at an airport site.
    When I got my car I didn’t know about the lightning bolt icon on the map that will show me Superchargers……. And I had done a fair amount of research. I have talked a few folks who rented Teslas and Hertz did nothing to instruct them on its use, which while still a car, has some different functionality from an ICE car. There is a bit of a learning curve.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rented an EV in the UK last summer and they did not ask for it to be returned with any minimum charge. In fact the guy said it was an advantage of renting an EV, you didn't need to worry about refueling/recharging before returning. This was from Europcar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with sk_tle on this. It should be a bonus to not have to return an EV with such a high state of charge. Having to plan the extra charge time would suck when going to the airport.

Having medium power chargers in the 50kW range can probably get you a good charge in the time it takes to turn it around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Having to plan the extra charge time would suck when going to the airport.
    No kidding. We're already dealing with gas stations that are right down the street from rental car return, and priced accordingly.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    I rented an EV in the UK last summer and they did not ask for it to be returned with any minimum charge. In fact the guy said it was an advantage of renting an EV, you didn't need to worry about refueling/recharging before returning. This was from Europcar.
    Good to know, thanks. I'll ask the local europcar as well. They are one of those I checked for specific stuff regarding EVs in the terms and conditions to no avail.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:30 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    No kidding. We're already dealing with gas stations that are right down the street from rental car return, and priced accordingly.
    When I was still working, I traveled from Vegas to Baltimore 7-8 times a year. I knew where the cheap gas could be found about five minutes from the rental car return. If I never visit BWI again, I'm good.