User Tag List

Thread: Paris and TdF suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paris and TdF suggestions

It looks like I might end up in Paris the weekend that the Tour de France concludes. Any advice, tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Hotel, restaurants, how to watch on the last day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paris and TdF suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by winmonster View Post
    It looks like I might end up in Paris the weekend that the Tour de France concludes. Any advice, tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Hotel, restaurants, how to watch on the last day?
    On the TV in whichever crappy hotel you can find as the Tour de France will exceptionnally finish in Nice due to the Olympics. It is probably the worst time ever to go to Paris if you ask me. Every decent will be already booked, transports will be expensive, police and army will super nervous, Parisians will be even more insuferable as they are usually because of all that.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:55 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay no attention so didn't realize it finished in Nice this year. I was also clueless about the Olympics. I'm going to be there for other reasons outside of my control and want to make the best of it. Maybe the week before the Olympics won't be awful? Ugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winmonster View Post
    I pay no attention so didn't realize it finished in Nice this year. I was also clueless about the Olympics. I'm going to be there for other reasons outside of my control and want to make the best of it. Maybe the week before the Olympics won't be awful? Ugh.
    Hoping for you it won't.

If it were me, I'd just take my bike or rent one and ride in the Chevreuse/Rambouillet area all weekend. That way you can even try the olympic course.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:06 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My one trip to Paris, we landed on the day of women’s CX worlds and I was delighted to watch that excellent coverage while my groggy family shambled about in the hotel room.

So, all I can offer is that. Enjoy the local tv coverage. Go to a patisserie too, perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paris is going to be a party. My wife and I will be there. She works there and has an apartment, so that's convenient. But we're going to a couple track cycling events later in the Olympics. I'd just make whatever out of it. Everything will be fully polished and shiny and clean (including the Seine) so seems like a great time to be there if you don't have to go anywhere or work. A madhouse yes, but most of the Parisians will be gone (or so they promise - I have a feeling more will stay than they admit.) But we are stopping in Iceland for a few days after on the way back to the states, just to cool off.

Definitely bring money for baked goods, as mentioned above.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books