Thread: Changing jobs/industries Product --> Project Management

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Changing jobs/industries Product --> Project Management

Hey Folks,

I'd love to chat with anyone who is a Project Manager or has a membership to one of the PM associations or holds one of the PM certificates.

For context, I've been in the cycling industry as a (hardgoods) product manager for 10 years. Things aren't great in the industry and working for my "passion" is less interesting than working for a decent paycheck these days.
    I'd love to find out a bit more about the associations/certificates, opportunities in the industry and get some insight on the differences between running digital projects and hardgoods.

DM me if you're willing to chat. I'll follow up via email.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Changing jobs/industries Product --> Project Management

Have you looked into PMI PMP certification? I know at least one person who is an Adjunct Professor at APB and associates.

I was a project engineer and project manager in high speed manufacturing. I guess it depends on what type of projects you want or are qualified for. There are opportunities, especially for project execution. I was fortunate and in demand because I was an engineer and project manager. I could either design a project then execute it, which is fraught with the peril of being wrong and no one tells me. The best projects were the ones I helped design and then execute with a team. Sometimes a good understanding but not necessarily in depth knowledge is best, because the manager stays out of the weeds. So I guess the best answer is a person with good organizational skills and a smattering of knowledge about the subject. You don't have to have the answers, you have to know who does.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Changing jobs/industries Product --> Project Management

Big demand for the profession and lots of training opportunities and I second the formal PMP training and certification. The gent in the second link is a friend of mine and he’s a rare person that has the ability to take a very complex subject matter, and make it understandable and applicable for the masses. I’d be happy to send you his contact information if you want to inquire more about training that would be in synch with your goals.

https://www.pmi.org/certifications/p...management-pmp

https://www.dipmf.ae/en/speaker/frank-ryle/
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.