User Tag List

Thread: Recommendation for a salt/ pepper mill without plastic grinding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recommendation for a salt/ pepper mill without plastic grinding?

Up to now, I've just used the plastic mills that come with the salt/ pepper purchase. The other day, it occurred to me that as the milling surface is plastic, I'm probably getting quite a bit of plastic into my food this way as well.

Is this an overly cautious take on the situation? And if not, what are some reasonably priced mills that use ceramic/ metallic milling surfaces?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommendation for a salt/ pepper mill without plastic grinding?

Perfex mills for pepper and salt. Takes a while to get them dialed in on grind. And there is a break in period. And you probably have to fuss with them a little each time you use them. But they are the best for all those reasons. Get the small size if two sizes are available. Then your peppercorns don't go stale and the salt doesn't harden into a rock before you use it up. Plus you'll wonder why nothing is coming out and then realize that the hopper is empty. So then you fill it while your sauce cooks away on the stove. What's the rush?

Salt mill

Pepper mill

The Peugeots are everywhere, a lot of people buy them, but there must be a lot of counterfeits because the mechanisms inside seem to self-destruct. Or they are like the cars.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had a brass Atlas pepper mill for about 30 years and it has never failed to please me. It's one of those buy it once and done items.

http://www.peppermillimports.com/atlas-mills

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Up to now, I've just used the plastic mills that come with the salt/ pepper purchase. The other day, it occurred to me that as the milling surface is plastic, I'm probably getting quite a bit of plastic into my food this way as well.

Is this an overly cautious take on the situation? And if not, what are some reasonably priced mills that use ceramic/ metallic milling surfaces?

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks for giving me something else to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post

Thanks in advance.
    No need to worry, the trace pharmaceuticals from the entire US population in your water supplies will kill you long before the little trace plastics from your mill. . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've got one of these, no complaints, it's got ceramic grinders. I like the "upside-down" design to reduce mess.

https://a.co/d/ePpDNBg
    Last edited by dgaddis; 02-05-2024 at 12:39 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on Perfex plus it’s oh-so-French.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently replaced one with Fletcher's Mill and I'm happy with it. That said, I don't think Peugeot could be a wrong answer here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an Ironwood mortar & pestle !
    Works amazing & you have control over your grain size

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a peugeot pepper mill. It works well.

We also have a molcajete, a mexican mortar made of vesicular basalt, that we use to grind spices and herbs to make sauces.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I have a peugeot pepper mill. It works well.

We also have a molcajete, a mexican mortar made of vesicular basalt, that we use to grind spices and herbs to make sauces.
    There's an awesome seafood dish called a Molcajete which is served in a huge one with raw shrimp, citrus, avocado and vegetables all mashed up, it's typical of the state of Sinaloa, super good !

- Garro

.IMG_3757.jpg
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You drink more plastic microspheres than you ever will eat out of a pepper grinder.
    Get a mortar and pestle, grind 10-1 sea salt and black pepper, put it in a container and put some plastic over it. This is what we do in professional kitchens. If you want that fresh pepper, just grind up some peppercorn in it and sprinkle. Takes maybe 45 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wondered the same thing and quickly forgot about it...

We have 3 types of pepper mills.

One is a Peugeot with an olive tree body. A little adjustment is possible. It's pretty and works well. We use it for black pepper.

Another is a Cartier with a Peter Piper gut. There is no scope for adjustment and produces a fine grind. We use it for white pepper.

The last is a Perfex. It is the most adjustable. We use it for Szechuan pepper.

All are at least 30 years old.

For some cheap supermarket pink salt, I'm using the plastic mill that comes with the bottle and have wondered if the salt eats into the plastic... No grinders for all other salts.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I realized afterwards I probably over-thought this. I'll probably get the Oxo branded ones and call it good.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    No need to worry, the trace pharmaceuticals from the entire US population in your water supplies will kill you long before the little trace plastics from your mill. . .
    This. Is. The. Real. Thing. To. Be. Afraid. Of.

But Jorn's recommend is legit!
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst